I'd make sure that her version is fully patched - there were a couple of fixes that were required right off the bat in RH8.
Thanks, Jeff...I'll ask her to double check. She said they had installed 2 patches (I think that's all there
were?) My own RH8 version is 8.02.208 and it works fine. I'll ask her to check her version.
I think there used to be a "sticky topic" at the top of the forums that provided some info on the patches, but it seems to be gone. I guess most people are installing RH9 these days.
Hmm...I posted a reply via email, but it isn't showing up, so I'm pasting it in.
Hi, Rick -
Thanks for the suggestions. Like some of the other threads I've found, these seem to deal mainly with RH crashes rather than other apps. But your first link possibly has some overlap as the menu issue it describes also pops up in a thread I found:
"RoboHelp 8 crashes on Windows 7"
This thread includes a scenario in which Outlook and other apps are failing. Additionally, some users were having RH crashes related to the menu bug. Some users found relief by uninstalling source control, others did not. Finally, An Adobe employee posted a fix that corrects issues related to Oleacc.dll which helped some users.
To be thorough, I'll mention that the problems are occurring on a laptop (another thread traced RH crashes to a BioMetric service running on their laptop). And my colleague has the FoxIt PDF utility installed (I don't think this should be the issue here, but perhaps worth a mention.)
I'm going to suggest that they try:
1a. Check the registry to ensure traces of the previous RH install are gone.
1b. Reinstall but omit source control and RH for Word (I think you can skip these during install? I'm no longer allowed to to perform my own installs, so I'm less familiar with the process than I once was.)
2. Ensure patches are installed (version should be 8.02.208)
3. If that doesn't work, try the Oleacc.dll fix.
4. If that doesn't work, try another Win7/32 machine (preferably non-laptop).
5. If all is well on the other machine, I guess it is time to start looking at which non-essential services might be causing a conflict.
[Deleting the text as it was a duplicate of the previous post. This was the one alluded to in the previous post as the email submission that never arrived. It wasn't absent after all, merely tardy.]
It looks like RoboSourceControl may have been the problem. They did a fresh install and bypassed this component. So far, so good.