6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 8:56 AM by Bill Engeler

Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?

Jim Strenk Level 1

I've installed Premier Pro CS5to its Default Location on the C Drive with default settings using Vista-64 Professional and  have created several projects.  Most if not all the projects I created are now completed.  While working on these projects, Vista-64 is now reporting that Disk Space on the C Drive is low.

Exactly, what files at which locations must I delete to completly delete all files created by Premier Pro CS5?  In other words, I wish to remove files from the C Drive to a point prior to working on my first project.  I do not wish to remove any Canon 7D EOS .mov files that MIGHT reside on the C Drive (Data Files).

Might it also be possible to simply copy all the files to a new drive and folder and then change program preferences?

A list of Folders, Files and File Paths is what I am asking about.

Once completed, I use preferences to specify Drive Letter and Folder to designate a new drive and "root folder" location, correct?

Any tips, suggestions or errata regarding this matter would be most appreciated!

• 1. Re: Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?
          shooternz Level 6

Your large source files would have been better on any other drive than C.

• 2. Re: Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?
            Jim Strenk Level 1

Any chance youcould elaborate on your reply?  The purpose of indicating that data files MIGHT reside on the C Drive was to drive home the point that I wish to remove or move all Premier Pro CS5 files EXCEPT the data files.

Would you be so kind sir as to flesh out your ideas about removing or moving such files?

I'm afraid that some of the others that viewed my question may not have answered due to the fact that they believed that the question was answered.

Would others like to answer my question?

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

• 3. Re: Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You set where files are created using the Preferences.  Those are the ones you can delete.  The Media Cache and Previews.

• 4. Re: Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?
                shooternz Level 6

Elaborating

I was pointing out to you that the space on your C drive maybe taken up

because you have what seems to be your source files on the C Drive.

It is difficult to know if you have any other drives... but if so ...thats where your source files should be.

That will save you a lot of space and give you a better edit experience.

• 5. Re: Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?
                  Matt Petersen Level 3

Jim, the Premiere Project files (and the folders it creates for itself) will be in the location you set when starting each project. I'm not sitting in front of it right now, but I thought I recalled the default "out of the box" location was somewhere in My Documents (but I could be inaccurate).

If you have NOT changed the default location of Projects each time you started a new one, you'll have ONE folder with all your projects in it, and then two folders which, when you open them up, will have a sub-folder for each project in play.

IF you had ingested from tape I would have been able to tell you that the default location of your vision was right next to your project files, but as you have DSLR vision, those files will be wherever you copied them to when you first moved them from the camera (possibly My Documents/My Pictures?).

When you IMPORT a file into Premiere, that movie file DOESN'T actually get moved/copied to a new location, Pemiere just takes a note of where it is so it can reference it each time the project is opened, so your movie files will be where you last saw them, if you get my drift.

If you want to move stuff around, it's not a problem. Most of the performance-oriented guys on here run different disks for projects, different disks for footage, and different disks for OS. But if you want to keep things simple (if not quite as quick), you could use my basic model of having one folder per project, and keeping all the project files, cache files and vision in that one folder together. This is handy if you have to move or archive projects one at a time.

So simply move a Project file to a new location, and copy any movie files it uses into the same folder (a naming convention comes in handy here!) When you open that Project the next time, Premiere might come up with a message indicating it can't find the files used in the Project. All you have to do is manually point Premiere to the right file each time (if there are a bunch of files in the same location, you usually only have to do it for the first one), and for this reason I don't recommend splitting movie files up into lots of sub-folders, as this re-linking gets really painful! When you're going through this process, it's a little too easy to link the WRONG file to the entry in the Premiere Project Pane, so READ CAREFULLY which file Premiere is looking for (it appears in the blue "window title" bar if you're on Windows).

Once you've done that re-linking once, you can just march on and you won't have to go through the palaver each time you open up.

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

Matthew P

Brisbane, Australia

• 6. Re: Removing Project Files and other CS5 created files to increase drive capacity?
                    Bill Engeler Level 2

As mentioned above, the 2 types of extra files you can safely delete are the Preview files and the Media Cache files.

Preview files - .PRV  .  Theses files reside in foilders indicated in each project's Project Settings (PROJECT>PROJECT SETTINGS>SCRATCH DISKS).  By default, they are in the same folder as the project.

Media Cache files - .CFA  .  These files reside in a folder determined by a choice in  EDIT>PREFERENCES>MEDIA

Media Cache Database  .  This is located in a location listed in the same menu choice as above.

Now if you changed any of these settings while working on the projects, there might be some stray files in the old setting locations.

The actual Project file is usually pretty small, since it's just a text file.  You might want to keep it.