1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 21, 2007 12:13 AM by ThinkInk

Templates

elstinko Level 1
      I watched several template tutorials and they seem to stop short on how to manage a website so that Contribute users can edit the website easily and web developers adding menu items without the need to update every page.

So as I understand one creates an HTML page with navigation in place then saves it as a template file in templates folder. Then create the HTML web pages from the template. For example, make a page called About.html. Then convert it to a DWT file. After that you make About HTML page from this page. Do you then delete the original HTML file? Now all sub pages of About can assume this template styles and attributes. You then repeat all these steps for each page if they are different in anyway to the main template. I get that much but I have some questions that need a professional to answer that deal with a more advanced site.

1. What if your nav is using YOU ARE HERE CSS link ID's to change the style of the selected link so it remains highlighted when a user is on that page. Then what if the developer needs to add a new menu item to the main nav? Would one need to make the nav change on EACH template? If so that defeats the speedy purpose of using templates. Having Navs always be active with no changes whatsoever to the link even when a user lands on that page is confusing and isn't really standard practice.

2. What if we use collapsible DIVS to hide and show content? Can we still make this template's content editable in Contribute?

From what I gather creating Contribute friendly sites requires a web developer to stick to very basic layouts and features unless I am missing something. I wish there was a lot more documentation on how to create a Contribute friendly websites. I have no problem sticking to CSS menus but not being able to create "you are here" id’s and styles makes those menus amateur and unprofessional. And the need to update that menu is vital.
        • 1. Re: Templates
          ThinkInk Level 2
          To create a template in Dreamwever:

1. Choose File from the main menu
          2. Choose tab General, and then Template Page (with the extension you need/like)
          3. Save your template and start editing.
          4. Dreamweaver creates some standard editable regions (link the one for the 'head' part of the page that you can use for page-specific meta tages, scripts and CSS)
          5. Create your own editable regions to put the content of each page that you create from your Template at the places you wish the content to appear.
          6. The content of editable regions does NOT change when you update your Template

To Create a page from the Template:

1. Choose File from the main menu
          2. Choose tab Templates, select the website and the proper Template
          3. Save your new page and start editing

Reaction on your point 1.:
          Use editable regions in your template, when you use CSS the determine the page where the visitor is, you can put the CSS in the editable region, so it won't change when you change the main template. You can place CSS in the editable region 'head' so you can determine where the visitor is.
          Reaction on your point 2.:
          You can try using optional regions in your template(s)

To create more advanced updatable menu's (CSS) you coult consider using server side includes (f.i. PHP).
          You could provide the person that updates that menu with an url to the page with the <ul>/<li> menu so he/she can add or remove the links.

Your point about Contribute asking for basic webdesign is understandable, but all the CMS's I came across have their limitations. With a creative attitude you can achieve a lot with Contribute (maybe in combination with other solutions). Contribute is a beautifull program because it's really end-user friendly, where others just claim to be that.

grtz.
          Hayo