2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2012 2:30 AM by Aniks

How do you rotate picture in picture

jowanjowan73

I have a picture in picture and I would like to rotate the top video.  I  have figured out how to rotate it 90 degrees, but I don't want it  straight up and down.  I would like to rotate it like 45 degrees, so  that it is at a different angle than the background video.  Is there a  way to do this?  Or will it only rotate in increments of 90 degrees?  (I posted this in the wrong section before, so I hope this is the right place now.)

• 1. Re: How do you rotate picture in picture
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is my reply to this question, when asked in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum. If anyone has any comments on my method, or a better method, please add them.

Welcoome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks forum, which is a repository for articles on how to do things in PrE and PrPro, and few will see your post here. Hopefully our tireless MOD, Steve Grisetti, will move the post out to the main forum.

As for Rotation, one of the fixed Motion Effects, like Scale and Position, you can first use the numerical box (to the far right in the Effects>Edit Effects (Effects Control Panel) and either click then type in a value, or click-scrub to change the value. This will be static for your PiP Clip.

If you wish to Rotate over time, you will want to Keyframe the Rotation Effect, and Rotate Right, or Rotate Left can be chosen. First, opposite Motion, click on the "stopwatch" icon, and you will then see stopwatches appear for all of the fixed Effects. In Rotation, first locate the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red edit line) on the first Frame of your Clip. Click on the stopwatch besides Rotation to add the first Keyframe. Now, move to the last Frame (hitting PageDn, then one cursoe back arrow on the keyboard, will do that for you), and hit the Add Keyframe button on the far right of the Rotation line - looks like a yen-yang diamond, and adjust that Keyframe's value. Note: if you want multiple Rotations, beyond 360 degrees, that is possible, and you will see first a 1, then a 2 (for 2 revolutions).

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - Steve Grisetti has several great articles on Basic Keyframing on Muvipix.com, plus he's got several wonderful books on PrE, available there. Note: Muvipix, com is a multi-tier Web site, with the forum and some content available just for the free sign-up. Some of the material is available for purchase, or is all free with a subscription. It does not take many paid downloads, before one could have paid for a subscription.

• 2. Re: How do you rotate picture in picture
            Aniks Level 2

Simply putting:

Select the clip on timeline.

Click on Properties (just between timeline and monitor)

In the Motion drop down, you could see Rotation - on the right side adjuct the value and you will have what you want.

Bill has already given you link on Basic Keyframing already.

Aniks

1 person found this helpful