12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 5:46 PM by DaveLloyd_SF

Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?

DaveLloyd_SF

Hello-I was hoping for some input on a recommended system for NLE. I've been looking through the discussions and finding some great info.  I'm looking to updgrade to CS5 and Premiere Pro after years of using a Mac/Final Cut/After Effects system.

I've read all the issues in the forum with ordering a standard Dell system. My company has a business account with Dell and they're buying, but I'd like to upgrade from their standard desktop model. Below is a package one of our visual simulation developers pulled together for their team.  I don't think I need as much power for editing HD DSLR video and basic motion graphic work.  Can anyone make a recommendation on where to cut costs but still have a solid system for NLE?

Here are the specs proposed- Cost over $8,000:

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Dell Precision T5500 64bit Dual Processor -

Professional, with Media, 64-bit,

Dell Precision T5500 Workstation, Genuine Windows® 7

Processor -Dual Six Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5670,

2.93GHz,12M L3, 6.4GT/s, turbo

Memory

-24GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 RDIMM, ECC (6

DIMMS)

Graphics-

2.5GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000, DUAL MON,

2DP & 1DVI

Boot Hard Drive-

250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB

DataBurst Cache™

Hard Drive Configuration

-C2 All SATA or SSD drives, Non-RAID, 2 drive

total configuration

ChassisConfiguration and1394-

Mini-Tower Chassis Configuration w/ 1394 Card

Optical Devices

-16X DVD-ROM with Cyberlink Power DVD™ No

Media

Sound Card-

SoundBlaster® X-FI XtremeMusic™

(D)w/Dolby® Digital 5.1

Power Supplies-

Precision T5500 Power Supply, C2

Motherboard

2nd Hard Drive-

1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with

32MB DataBurst Cache™

Hard Drive Internal

Controller Option-

Integrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controller

I thought I could start by changing the GPU to a Quadra 4000 or a GForce GTX480.

Possibly change the Processor to i7 980X or even the i7 950x.

Need the recommended soundcard?

Anything else?

Thanks for any input!

Dave

• 1. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Dave,

How about:

T3500 (single cpu workstation)

W3690 (3.46GHz 6-core cpu)

12GB ECC RAM (6x2GB)

250GB boot drive

2x1TB RAID 0 (drives 2/3)

nVidia Quadro 4000

Optical drive - don't you want a DVD or Blu-ray burner?

sound card - no

total around $5,000

better still if they will let you...

- get the cheapest video card option

- replace the video card with a GTX 460/1MB or GTX 570 third party video

Jim

• 2. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
            Crist OC/PC Level 2

Just pas Dell.com

I really did not like none of the choise.

I know your company have a acc whit dell but can only be a dell PC??

• 3. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If you consider Dell at all, the only way to prevent them from stealing you blind, is to get the basic configuration. Nothing added, nothing changed, no extras, no additional memory, no extra hard disks, no better video card, just the plain offer and then choose their absolute base configuration, because you need to add everything yourself from third parties and what was originally installed can be thrown away.

Basically, if their basic offer gives you the opportunity to leave out a video card, memory, hard disk, etc. do it. Also forfeit on their support, because they don't give support when you add components yourself.

Example: Upgrade to 24 GB, add € 1438 at Dell, buy from third party, add € 540, upgrade to dual X5680, add € 3700 at Dell, buy two X5680 elsewhere, add € 2800. Downgrade from a Quadro 5000 with 2.5 GB to a  2 Gb Quadro 4000 and add € 380 at Dell. Ludicrous. And the list goes on and on.

If your boss weren't paying the bill, you would be much better off elsewhere. And your boss might be grateful if you show him how much Dell steals from customers when they add components or upgrade certain parts.

• 4. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                DaveLloyd_SF Level 1

Unfortunately we have 3 year lease programs with Dell.  Our IT support only covers these systems built by Dell.  It takes a while just to order a non-standard set up- so I am stuck with Dell.  That said- Any advice on replacing the components on the above system would be helpful... I'm hoping to purchase a system that will keep me running over the next 3 years.

Jim- Thanks for the input, I priced a system close to your specs and it's within budget.  The 3D Sims person I work with said he wouldn't go with t3500. But a similar system with the T5500 is almost twice as much.  Do you think the attached system will be efficient at editing?

I appreciate everyone's time.

Dell Precision T3500

Dell Precision T3500, CMT, 85 Percent Efficient

Power Supply, C2 Motherboard

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media,

64-bit, English

Processor

Six Core Intel® Xeon® Processor W3690,

3.46GHz,12M L3, 6.4GT/s

Memory

12GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (3

DIMMS)

chassis configuration

Desktop Chassis Orientation w/ 1394 Card

Graphics

2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP

& 1DVI

Hard Drive Configuration

C1 All SATA or SSD drives, No RAID for 2 Hard

Drive

Hard Drive Controller

Integrated Intel chipset SATA 3.0Gb/s controller

2nd Hard Drive:

1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM Hard Drive with

32MB DataBurst Cache™

Boot Hard Drive:

320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 16MB

DataBurst Cache™

CD-ROM, DVD and Read-Write Devices

16X DVD-ROM with Cyberlink Power DVD™ No

Media

• 5. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Dave,

The T3500 will be OK.

We've all been telling you the bang-for-the buck is not there will Dell, but you have explained your situation and that's life!

The 320GB boot/OS drive (drive 1) is OK. Try to add dual 1TB in a RAID 0 configuration (for drives 2/3).

Regarding the T3500 vs. T5500, I'd say it is a LOT more money for marginal gains.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                    DaveLloyd_SF Level 1

If I understand this correctly the T3500 doesn't have room for an additional processor - the 5500 would leave room for this if I needed to upgrade? I'm not sure I'd need this with my current requirements.

• 7. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Dave,

The T3500's 3.46GHz 6-core CPU is about $1000 less than what Dell is charging for a single CPU that is "dual-Xeon capabile" with exactly the same performance (equivelent CPU in the dual Xeon leaague is tagged the X5690). What this means is that you would be paying a lot more just to have a cpu that could take a mate some day if and when. Also, quickly poking around Dell's site shows that dual X5690's is a $4900 option up from a very underpowered dual Xeon (E5603), so it is a VERY expensive way to go.

Bottom line, the T3500 will serve you well, and it would be VERY expensive to increase performance with a Dell workstation without pay LOTS more.

If you want to increase performance later on, add a hardware RAID controller and more hard drives.

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                        Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dave

If you wan the best from then, Buy:

T5500 with 2  Intel® Xeon® X5677 (Quad Core, 3.46 GHz)

64GB(2x4GB + 7x8GB)1333MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM

• 9. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Dave,

Great choice you make, only € 14K+ for a mediocre system at best with a BFTB score below 1.0 at an estimated performance of 50% or lower. Way in the RED area with a very low Bang-for-the-Buck score.

Well, the boss pays, so why worry...???

• 10. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                            DaveLloyd_SF Level 1

Harm- I appreciate your sarcasm and get your point. But yeah the studio is paying and they have a contract/lease/support with Dell- done. If it was up to me it would be a different purchase. As I mentioned I'm looking for recommendations based on my restrictions to optimize my editing system.  I'm trying to get a system under $6,000 or close to...

Is your concern with the processor recommended:- Six Core Intel® Xeon® Processor W3690- I could upgrade to a new processor- do you want to recommend one that Dell offers? I didn't see the CPU on the PPBM5 Results.

with the T3500 options are:

• Intel® Xeon® 6-Core (W3690, W3670)

with the T5500 options are:

• Intel® Xeon® 6-Core (X5690, X5680, X5675, X5670, X5660, X5650, E5645)
                            • Intel® Xeon® Quad Core (X5687, X5677, X5667, X5647, X5560, E5640, E5630, E5645, E5620, E5530, E5607, E5507, E5606, E5506, E5603)
                            • Intel® Xeon® Dual Core (E5503)

It looks like most of the Xeon CPU require 2 core processors to hit the top marks.  Seems like the i7 perform better on single CPU?

The Nividia Quadra 4000 and 5500 are approved Adobe GPU cards for Premiere- they seem to be the top performing models- Would you recommend something else?

12GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM seem adequate.

I'm not clear on the benefit of the Raid 0 vs no raid on the 7200 disk drives.  The 3D graphic guys here don't think it's necessary. I'll have to research more in the forums.

Jim has recommended what looks like an optimal package for the budget.  Besides the price issue, what are the concerns with the components? I realize I could get more if I built it myself, but it's not an option.

Feel free to respond if you can refine my options- otherwise I appreciate all your input.  Thanks!

• 11. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                              JEShort01 Level 4

Dave,

CPU - you can get a feel for where the W3690 would fall by finding i7-980x systems clocked around 3.5GHz. The W3690 is the same as a i7-990x but allows for the use of ECC (error correcting) RAM. You can search Intel's site for hours to comb the exact frequencies, etc. for their various CPUs, but for the purposes of running Premiere Pro all of the 6-core CPUs are 32nm and have similar architecture and cache. Dell's Precision workstations will not let you overclock at all, so whatever Intel rates a chip to run is what you will get with a Dell using that CPU.

Disk - RAID 0 helps a lot; the following text was cut from my thread entitled, "How changes to CPU speed, RAM size, and drives (SSD and hard drives) impacted my PPBM5 score":

3) Drives: Slowest tested was project, cache, and cache DB all sharing a single 1TB WD 7200rpm drive [PPBM5 Disk I/O test = 138 sec.] Changing to two of the same drives in a RAID 0 configuration was a massive improvement [PPBM5 Disk I/O test = 82 sec.]

I would maintain that for what you are spending a 2x1TB in RAID 0 should be your "minimum". What do 3D guys know about P. Pro? I suspect as much as I know about building a 3D PC - not much!

A good way to save lots on a Dell is to buy it with a single boot drive and add your own 1TB drives; this does not void the warranty in any way, shape, or form if you buy the parts from Dell. They are selling Western Digital 1TB Black SATA 6GB/s 64MB 7200 rpm drives for $99.99/each. From memory, they are charging $450/each to add them to the "system configurator" when you build the T3500.

Jim

• 12. Re: Could I get a quick review of proposed NLE system?
                                DaveLloyd_SF Level 1

Jim- Thanks for all your input! Huge help and education.  I appreciate your time.

Have a good weekend.

Dave