5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 11:31 PM by JaysonM-Y-ONw4w8

What is the best hardware setup for Design Premium?

Megs502

I'm a high school teacher and  teach Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash, and I use  Bridge for yearbook.   My school district is buying me new computers but  wants me to come up with all the specs that I want.  I'm supposed to  give them my top choices for everything.  However, I'm a  user- not a tech person.  Can someone please give me a run down for  what I should ask for?  I need to know everything from processor, to  RAM, graphics card, hard drive, tablets, monitors, etc.  If you work  with these software programs all the time, what would your ultimate set  up be?

I'm currently using CS4 but would like to upgrade.   My school district does not use Macs- only PCs. I was not told a price  range, so just give me the best of everything.

Please help ASAP.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: What is the best hardware setup for Design Premium?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This is the first school I heard of that is not concerned about costs.

When do you need this machine, in the next months or is next year OK? Give us a rough estimate of what is reasonable, $ 1,500 or $ 4,000 or $ 20,000 or $ 50,000

Have a look at the PPBM5 Benchmark

It will give you an idea of what makes a good system.

• 2. Re: What is the best hardware setup for Design Premium?
            Crist OC/PC Level 2

" I'm currently using CS4 but would like to upgrade"

IF THE UPGRATE IS TO CS5 64 BITS. Better to work with quad core with H.T. like i7 920,930,950. If you like somthing faster we talk about i7 970,980x, 990.

RAM: If you will work with heavy files, start with 12G RAM  3x4. So you have the possibility to upgrate after to 24 if you need it.

"graphics card"

Nvidia card: GTX460, GTX470. NO NEED TO GO TO SERIES GTX5..

"hard drive"  many choises. Depent of what performance you want, This can incrise the price a loot.

"monitors" I will say samsung 23, the are sheep and if you like you can have 2 monitor on each PC.

How many PC'S YOU NEED??

B.R.

Cristobal

• 3. Re: What is the best hardware setup for Design Premium?
              Megs502 Level 1

Thanks for the replies!  I will need 31 PCs.  The computers will probably be ordered over the summer so they will be set up for the beginning of school at the end of August.

I wasn't told a budget- just to tell them what my ideal system would be and they would work backward from that.  I've never heard of my school district not being concerned with money either, so I was really excited about this.  I'm sure that I won't get what I ask for, but I don't want to aim low and get less than what I need.

• 4. Re: What is the best hardware setup for Design Premium?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep it in perspective for 31 machines, low cost, high performance, but no DELL or HP, because of their crippled BIOS.

Contact ADK Video editing for a good offer:

i7-950/960, 12 GB RAM (3 x 4 G), X58 mobo, 320 G F4 boot disk, 2 x 2 disk 1 TB raid0 F3's, GTX 460, 2 GB version. System overclocked to around 3.5 - 3.8 GHz.

If the school district want to remain with DELL or HP, up your CPU to an i7-970 and your memory to 24 GB.

• 5. Re: What is the best hardware setup for Design Premium?
                  JaysonM-Y-ONw4w8

Harm Millaard wrote:

If the school district want to remain with DELL or HP, up your CPU to an i7-970 and your memory to 24 GB.

and enjoy a massive bill.