2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 1:01 PM by Flex harUI

Updating redownloads entire application?

Liroquai1337

HI all,

We are about to wrap up our desktop based AIR application, however our programmers are having issues with the update function. Even when the smallest of changes are made and they push the updated client to the server, it forces the user to redownload the entire application. This in turn will erase any saved data when they update the application.

Our programmers claim that there is no solution to this issue. This is a problem because our application is about 200mb, and we can't expect our users to redownload another 200mb for a small graphical change or a spelling error fix.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Updating redownloads entire application?
          pauland Level 4

Liroquai1337 wrote:

we can't expect our users to redownload another 200mb for a small graphical change or a spelling error fix.

Is there any solution to this?

I guess the obvious solution is to not re-issue the software for such minor changes, and better QA before release!

Seems like a massive application. I would just not reissue the software for very minor changes so that it's not such a big deal.

If your users are on broadband, the app download is not such an ordeal (I often download much larger files than that), but they will get fed up if the thing is constantly changing. Most teams I work with have a specific release schedule that they will stick to unless there is a serious bug. They don't just make a new release all the time.

• 2. Re: Updating redownloads entire application?
            Flex harUI Adobe Employee

I think lots of folks break their AIR app into modules