15 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 7:08 AM by supergran 123

Can't Select Slice in Fireworks

zim01

For some reason I can no longer select slices. When I click on one the content below is selected.

When I create new slices I can select them without a problem but after a while, especially after reopening the file, all slices are no longer selectable.

I can select them in the layers menu but no longer on the artboard.

Any suggestions?

This is on a Mac, Snow Leopard with Fireworks CS4.

• 1. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Make sure the Web layer is active by clicking on it in the Layers panel.

• 2. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
            zim01 Level 1

Yes, I have the web layer on but it doesn't work. I have to lock all the layers to select a slice.

I don't know how this changed, it used to work in the past.

• 3. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

You have it on, but is it selected?

• 4. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                zim01 Level 1

This occurs only in documents that were saved and reopended.

Also, when I create a new slice the old slices than become selectable as usual.

It's probably Fireworks... just one of the many problems that are common to Fireworks C$4

I hope someone will come up with an alternative at some point. (Artboard for Mac looks promising)

• 5. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                  zim01 Level 1

It only seems to happen with saved files that are reopened.

And once I created a new slice the old slices are again selectable.

Probably just another one of those problems common to Fireworks C$4

Hope someone will come out with an alternative program. (Artboard for Mac does look promising)

• 6. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                    zim01 Level 1

I see what you mean... but it should be selected automatically if I click on the "show slices and hotspots" button. At least it used to do this.

That is what threw me off.

Any suggestions why it behaves differently now?

• 7. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                      Linda Nicholls Level 4

The show slices and hotspots button does just what it says. It has no controil over whether or not the web layer is the currently selected one. That's actually an advantage. I used to try selecting slices to delete them only to delete the objects beneath them instead. The current arrangement prevents that.

• 8. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                        supergran 123 Level 1

I'm getting the same problem - Vista and Fireworks CS5.  If it's a feature of CS5 then it should be consistent.  I upgraded from CS3 a year back and all has worked fine.  Now I'm having trouble selecting slices which I wasn't before .  On top of that if I select using the web layer menu then right click on the slice to export just the selected slice (which I use often) that option is either greyed out - or doesn't show at all as a different context menu is shown.  This appears random and constant repetition will sometimes allow it.  If I do manage it and export a slice all objects are selected including the slice when I return to Fireworks.  It feels as if something has got corrupted.  The only related thing I have changed recently is the html setup so that I didn't continually het extra images exported.  Could that be related to the problem?

• 9. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                          Jim_Babbage Level 4

I recall users having problems similar to this. It turned out to be another application - some sort of music app - that was causing the problem. Have you installed any new programs recently?

Sharing the Fireworks PNG ile would also help.

• 10. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                            Jim_Babbage Level 4

Can you clairfy, was CS5 working fine and THEN stopped working correctly? Or was CS3 working fine and CS5 never worked correctly?

Are your slices on a Master page?

How large are your files in terms of file size, number of pages/slices?

Can yo post a link to the Fireworks file?

• 11. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                              supergran 123 Level 1

Hi Jim - sorry I think I replied by mail instead of posting but as an update and in case anyone else has the same problem ..

It was working fine yes and then stopped.  It happened on all files with pre existing slices even on very small files e.g. a single small image consisting of a single slice - irrespective of layer or page.  I still have CS3 installed and that works as expected so I don't think it's any file itself but the application behaviour.  As the previous poster mentioned I can delete a slice via selecting via the web layer call out and pressing delete. A new slice then behaves correctly but if I select a slice via the web layer and right click what seems to happen is that Fireworks selects the object beneath the slice and deselects the slice so that the context menu is incorrect.

I had indeed installed a music program! - I've recently bought an ipad for web testing which necessitated me installing iTunes to initiate its use.  I also installed an app called music notes which stores sheet music.  I uninstalled both and rebooted to no avail and a system restore failed.

This morning with a fresh eye I checked and iTunes had not uninstalled all components.  After 'cleansing' all traces and a reboot all is working normally again! 

Thank you so much for coming along yesterday and getting me to think wider than a bug in the manifesting product.  iTunes and digital sheet music I can live without...Fireworks I can't!

Have a great day - mine has just improved enormously thanks to you.

Jan

• 12. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                                Jim_Babbage Level 4

Hi Jan:

I'm very happy to hear the issue has been resolved. I love hearing that Fireworks is such an important tool in your design kit!

I'm surprised that iTunes was the culprit though, as I am running iTunes all the time on my Mac with no misbehavior from FW.

If you have the time, I'd recommend reinstalling iTunes and then do an uninstall/reinstall of Fireworks *after* iTunes has been set up.

• 13. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                                  supergran 123 Level 1

Thanks Jim

Yes it's probably more complex than that.  I'm still using Vista, for my sins, which may or may not have an impact and it could well be the musicnotes app or even something else that adds itself to a particular mix.  It's rarely a single cause and effect.  Anyway if I need itunes in the future I'll use a laptop!

Thanks again Jim

Jan

• 14. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                                    Jim_Babbage Level 4

OK, sorry, I thought you were on a Mac.

Fireworks has an issue with the Aero(?) interface on Vista, if I recall correctly. That may likely be the main issue. You can disable Aero from running when Fireworks is running, and there are several threads here in the forum that discuss the steps to do so.

HTH

• 15. Re: Can't Select Slice in Fireworks
                                      supergran 123 Level 1

No I disabled Aero years ago Jim- CS3 wouldn't work properly with that.  No worries I have it working that's all that matters. ..and I DO wish I'd never got rid of my Mac.