4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 11:35 PM by Michael Thornburgh

Saving netConnection and netGroup connection between pages.

Guesswhooo-2dCJV2

Is it possible to save a connection to Stratus between pages somehow?

For example i have layout on my website, where my Stratus based app is located on all pages.

When user is walking along the pages of my website Stratus app should reconnect on each page, which is not good i must admit, because it takes time to gather all information about the group clients again, reconnect to some stream maybe and so on.

• 1. Re: Saving netConnection and netGroup connection between pages.
          nimigeanu

You may try keeping your stratus connector in a hidden frame that does not change when navigating and have it relay info to the changing "visual" applets.

This would, however, make it impossible for the hidden flash to display the peer assisted networking dialog if you intend to use netgroups. 2 possible solutions come to mind:

1. make the "invisible" frame visible at first, until you get the user to answer the peer replication dialog

2. (may not work) have the first "visible" component also connect to a group so that it triggers the replication dialog; after this is confirmed you may communicate to the "invisible" connector to also try connect to the group; since object replication is already allowed for the domain the second may connect without enquiry; or not? let us know

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Saving netConnection and netGroup connection between pages.
            Guesswhooo-2dCJV2 Level 1

It's interesting solution. I'll try it tomorrow.

But would be really awesome if Adobe could create such storage in Flash Player.

Which could keep connections alive and all gathered data about group(s) as well.

It's an interesting idea and it will reduce connections made to Stratus.

Maybe some of Adobe officials will answer if there are any future plans on that feature.

Any solutions will be welcomed here as well.

• 3. Re: Saving netConnection and netGroup connection between pages.
              Guesswhooo-2dCJV2 Level 1

Idea with frames is too complex for dynamic implementation and possibly impossible.

Any answer from adobe?

• 4. Re: Saving netConnection and netGroup connection between pages.
                Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

a connected RTMFP NetConnection/NetStream/NetGroup is an active construct.  it's similar to a connected TCP socket.  "saving" such a thing (including the UDP sockets themselves) beyond the lifetime of a running instance of Flash Player doesn't make sense and violates the web semantic.

you can do AJAXy Web2.0y stuff to change portions of a web page without loading/reloading the whole thing, which would allow you to keep an instance of Flash Player running continuously.