13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 6:53 AM by AdamJRead

AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV

AdamJRead Level 1

Posted this in the AME forum, but got zilch response.  Hope it's OK to repost here...

I have a rendered (green bar) PP sequence lasting 12 mins.

Trying to output to WMV and it's taking ages - like 2-3hrs.

A comparable length clip in another sequence takes a matter of minutes.

I have cut and paste the video into a new sequence - but no dice.

Ideas anyone?

TIA

Adam
      InterMedia

• 1. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

First a couple of questions:

Can you tell us about your system, especially the CPU and the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's with their full specs., and how you have them allocated.

Are there any Effects added to the Clip(s), and if so, what are they?

What are the specs. for Export to WMV?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
            AdamJRead Level 1

Hi Hunt.  Answers to your questions below...

Can you tell us about your system, especially the CPU and the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's with their full specs., and how you have them allocated.

i7, 860 2.8gb, 16GB Ram.  MX02, external raid 0 (4tb) esata

Are there any Effects added to the Clip(s), and if so, what are they?

Magic Bullet Quicklooks, and a couple of scale/transforms - However, these are all rendered (green bar)

What are the specs. for Export to WMV?

Ideally I'd like it to be 1920 x 1080, 3500 datarate etc (one of the presets in AME) - Have tried a variety of presets however and I get the same long winded encode times.

In summary, I believe that the systems is well specced, plenty of spare space on the drive.  What confuses things is that a stand-alone clip of same duration in a new sequence is fine on export (normal amount of time).

Thanks

ADAM

• 3. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Magic Bullet Quicklooks, and a couple of scale/transforms - However, these are all rendered (green bar)

As far as I know, rendering is ONLY for timeline playback, and has nothing to do with exporting

So... when using AME to export... everything needs to be processed to create the output file

• 4. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

First two comments:

It appears that you have a single HDD, in RAID. Is that correct? Two separate, physical HDD's is the minimum, and three is even better.

Though you have Rendered the MB QLooks, and other Effects, that is just for smoothest playback, and will have nothing to do with the Transcoding times for Export.

Others will probably have a few more comments as well, so let's wait a bit. Some of those folk are in Europe, NZ and elsewhere, so the replies might come in at different times. At least your post here got my comments, however worthless those might be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                  AdamJRead Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  In answer to your questions...

It appears that you have a single HDD, in RAID. Is that correct? Two separate, physical HDD's is the minimum, and three is even better.

It's 2 disks (7200 satas) in a raided external enclosure.

Though you have Rendered the MB QLooks, and other Effects, that is just for smoothest playback, and will have nothing to do with the Transcoding times for Export.

We'll I've learnt something new!  What I did yesterday (as a workaround to get my client the project on time), was play the timeline out through the component outputs of my MX02 and ingested into another MX02 on another machine.  The resultant 'captured' file encoded in next to no time.  There has to be a way to bypass this though surely?  If a timeline is 'rendered' surely the effects have been rendered too, and AME should see the source as a 'flattened' piece of video?  Based on what you've said, this clearly isn't the case, but I'm amazed.

Others will probably have a few more comments as well, so let's wait a bit. Some of those folk are in Europe, NZ and elsewhere, so the replies might come in at different times. At least your post here got my comments, however worthless those might be. No comment is ever worthless

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Adam,

Encoding to WMV is a time consuming process, which is further aggravated by the use of MB Looks/Quicklooks, that take quite some time to render. Scaling is another time consuming action, that can profit from a CUDA/MPE video card. You did not mention what video card you have, but the scaling is fully hardware accelerated with a suitable card and can lead to 10 times performance gains under specific circumstances.

• 7. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                      AdamJRead Level 1

I've got the CUDA approved model (I think it's GTX470).

What I still don't understand is why when something is 'rendered' (green line) that the contents of the rendered sequence then need re-processing for the encode.  In my naivety, I'd always assumed the encoder would view the timeline as 'already processed' and 'ready' for output, much like when you would output to tape, or in my case directly into an analogue capture card (to bypass my problem).

Thanks

ADAM

• 8. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Rendering the timeline, so it shows green, is for preview purposes only. For exporting there is an option to use those preview files (check box) but you better not use that at all. In 99.9% of the cases it results in lousy quality. So, yes, the timeline needs to be re-rendered on export.

• 9. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                          {KMS} Level 2

Adam,

Since you already have the timline rendered, try exporting with the "Use Previews" option selected in the export settings.  It should speed up exporting.

Kevin

• 10. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a bit more background on Rendering, this ARTICLE might be useful.

It's 2 disks (7200 satas) in a raided external enclosure.

OK, so you have how many internal HDD's, in addition to the RAID enclosure? How are they allocated with your Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Kevin,

You should have read my previous post.

99.9% of the situations you DO NOT want to use Previews, despite it being faster, because it gives lousy quality.

• 12. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                                {KMS} Level 2

I was typing while you were...

• 13. Re: AME taking an age to encode 12 mins worth of WMV
                                  AdamJRead Level 1

Hi Hunt

All project related files, cache etc are directed to the external raid.  The app obviously runs from the C drive.  On another PP set up, I actually have the media cache going to a 'third' drive, though in practice, I'm not sure this make a huge difference.

In the end, I resigned myself to the ridiculous render time for my 12 minute sequence.  I suspect Quicklooks was the main contributor for the 3hr render time. However, there's still something a little contrived about the fact that you render something (green for playback) yet times for processing to a format of your choice depend upon filters/scaling and other facets of the timeline.  I suspect the same is true of other NLE's however.

Never mind.

ADAM
                                  InterMedia