3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 10:02 AM by Dave LaRonde

cs4 keylight 1.2 error invoking.

quintar6

Hello,

i've done some internet searching, seems my friend is not alone.

The program was working fine yesterday, we did some more green screening.

came back, and now it jsut keeps crashing when he renders anything.

someone said something about in cs3 you could use crtl-alt-shift and run to clear something

or you could delete a folder c:\program files\adobe\aftereffects\8.0

and they would fix it.

can't find it.

he's got a hp xw8600 quad core xeon 2.83 processor, 4gb ram (some special kind of server systems)

nvidia quadro fx 1700 he thinks it's a 512mb.

we did a long sceen yesterday, and it worked, today we were trying a small like 1 min screen and it crashes.

any help.

we're doing more green screen today and would like to get more of this stuff compiled.

oh, and it's windows 7 32bit.

• 1. Re: cs4 keylight 1.2 error invoking.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

AE 9 has problems with long-gop footage that were solved in AE 10.  So if you're shooting green screens on an HDV camera or something like it, you need to read the admonition I've put up numerous times on the creative COW:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is  any  kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information.  However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information.  Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless.  I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

• 2. Re: cs4 keylight 1.2 error invoking.
            quintar6 Level 1

Well i don't know if i should say thank you, or curse you

but your right, it works.

we are now converting each file to mov animation files.

some of them are soooooo huge.

so Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro will still be usable and make the files alittle more a handleable size?

thanks again for the help.

• 3. Re: cs4 keylight 1.2 error invoking.
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

quintar6 wrote:

we are now converting each file to mov animation files.

some of them are soooooo huge.

That comes with the territory when working with AE.  The whole idea is to have footage go through the application with no loss of image quality.  And yes, files in a lossless codec are lots bigger than the footage left in its acquisition codec.  If you need more storage, get more storage.  You'll be happier.

so Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro will still be usable and make the files alittle more a handleable size?

No.  They won't.  You need storage.  You may be able to render out of AE in a codec that matches the one you're using in your NLE, but if it's HDV or something like that, I wouldn't advise it.

Those long-gop codecs I wrote about before are ACQUISITION codecs.  They won't hold up to re-rendering.  Their image quality drops like a rock when that happens.  If you're planning anything more than simple cuts-only editing, I wouldn't use one.

Sorry, but effects work means big file sizes.