0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 10:06 AM by Microzip

Licensing agreement won't allow installation onto "Electronic Devices"

Microzip

My message is only for the eyes of Adobe legal department. I'm not looking for input from users here.

I was just reading the licensing agreement for flash player 10.2.

from the file: PlatformClients_PC_WWEULA_Combined_20100108_1657.pdf

From the agreement:

4. Obligations and Restrictions.
      4.1 Adobe Runtime Restrictions. You will not Use any Adobe Runtime on any non-PC device or
      with any embedded or device version of any operating system. For the avoidance of doubt, and by
      example only, you may not Use an Adobe Runtime on any (a) mobile device, set top box (STB),
      handheld, phone, game console, TV, DVD player, media center (other than with Windows XP
      Media Center Edition and its successors), electronic billboard or other digital signage, Internet
      appliance or other Internet-connected device, PDA, medical device, ATM, telematic device, gaming
      machine, home automation system, kiosk, remote control device, or any other consumer electronics
      device, (b) operator-based mobile, cable, satellite, or television system or (c) other closed system
      device. No right or license to Use any Adobe Runtime is granted for such prohibited uses.
      For information on Software license terms for non-PC versions of Adobe Runtimes please
      visit http://www.adobe.com/go/runtime_mobile_EULA. For information on licensing Adobe Runtimes
      for distribution on such systems please visit http://www.adobe.com/go/licensing.

an Excerpt:

"...you may not Use an Adobe Runtime on any (a) mobile device,..."

and from the later part of the same sentence

",or any other consumer electronics device,..."

"Adobe Runtime" = "Adobe Flash" right?  Because I downloaded the "FLASH" agreement you pointed me to.

If Adobe Runtime doens't refer to Flash, then it wouldn't have been in the agreement. right?!?

To  me, that means I can't install if on my laptop because it's a "mobile  device" (It's a device and I can carry it with me) and I can't install  it because my computer is "a consumer electronic device".

Am I reading this right?  It sounds to me like anyone using flash is breaking this agreement.

Also, from the agreement:

4.1.1 AVC Video Restrictions. The Software may contain h.264/AVC video technology, the use of
      which requires the following notice from MPEG-LA, L.L.C.:
      THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR
      THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (I) ENCODE VIDEO
      IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD (“AVC VIDEO”) AND/OR (II) DECODE AVC
      VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NONCOMMERCIAL
      ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED
      TO PROVIDE AVC VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY
      OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C.
      SEE http://www.mpegla.com.

To  me, this means that I can't install it at work because it's a  commercial enterprise and I may at some point view some flash on a web  page somewhere that's encoded with H.264.

Is this what what intended?  No businesses may use Flash?

Perhaps I've misread the agreement.

At this point, I've not upgraded to Flash 10.2.

Please advise.  I'm so confused.  Am I the only person that reads these things?