21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 3:55 PM by Ted Smith

Which recommended sw to burn videos?

mspeanutmm

Background:  After much struggle (and HELP from the people on the forum.....THANK YOU) with Pre8 to create my video that includes music, photos, and audio, I was unable to burn a DVD from Pre8.  It crashed (system reboot) after encoding reached 96%.  After researching the forum, this seems to be a popular problem from 2 years back, I followed the steps of burning the video to my pc at NTSC DVD standard.  I can view it using Windows Movie Maker.  (I tried to view with windows media player but there is no sound.)  My questions are:

1.  which sw or app is recommended to burn to a DVD that will include all the media (music, audio, photos) together?

2.  Will I be able to add a DVD menu before burning?

3.  What aspect ratio?  I want to burn it at 16:9 so I can view on HDTV.  If I do this, will I also be able to view it on a laptop?

- the video burned to the pc is at:

Size:  428MB

Frame Width: 720

Frame Height: 480

4.  My pc has Roxio Creator 9.  Could I use this?  If so, would I copy as data disc?

Please advise.

• 1. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say how you burned your DVD files to your PC -- but here's the ideal way to do it.

Edit your movie and then use the Disc Menus options to add scenes and menus. Then go to the Share tab and select To Disc.

Set things up as if you are going to burn a DVD, except that, from the drop-down menu, you select the option to Burn to Folder.

This will create a VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS folder on your hard drive.

Just use your burner software to burn those two folders to a DVD disc and you're done. (Some DVD burner software requires you to designate that it's for a playable rather than a data DVD.)

If Roxio is too challenging, the free app ImageBrn works very efficiently -- and even checks the final disc for integrity!

• 2. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure where you are in the editing and authoring workflow.

Have you created a Menu system in PrE?

It appears that you have been able to Burn to Folder, though some playback programs, seem to not play the Audio. When you did Burn to Folder, did you end up with the VIDEO_TS folder, and the necessary IFO, BUP and VOB files? If so, test that VIDEO_TS folder (and files) in a player, like MediaPlayer Classic HC (freeware). If all goes well there, then you can use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the physical burn.

If you have not done the authoring yet, you might want to investigate Sony's DVD Architect, as it gets very high recs. here.

I do not know Roxio's DVD Creator, so cannot tell you what it can do, and what it cannot.

As for the inability to burn from PrE to disc, please give us more details on exactly what is happening, and especially any error messages.

Good luck, and please let us know more,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
              mspeanutmm Level 1

This is how naive I am on this.  I chose to the Personal computer option under "Share" instead of Disc. From the pc option, I chose the MPEG: use for playback on pc or burning to DVD. I'm able to view as a .wmv file.   I did not realize that, under Disc, there was an option to burn into a folder.  Anyway, I'll try to follow your rrecommendation and see if that works.  If all fails, if I burn the .wmv onto DVD, will it view ok on a HDTV?  Thx.

• 4. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do not burn a WMV to a disc and expect it to play on an HDTV, mspeanut.

Burn a DVD to your hard drive, as I described above, and then burn those files to a disc. That's the ONLY  way to make a DVD.

My books explain all this in more detail, if you're interested. Otherwise, trust us on this. If you go looking for a hybrid solution, you're going to end up with something that likely takes more work and is less likely to function.

• 5. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                  mspeanutmm Level 1

After reading Steve and your responses, I realized that I did not burn into the folder.  (see my earlier response for more details.)  I'm going through the school of hard knocks.  I hope I pass bonehead Pre8 soon!  Anyway, I experienced the same problems that another user had on 1/22 (oldsportbiker...PE 8 causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD).  Unfortunately I burned it to the pc as a different format.  Ugh..I'll try to burn it as you both suggest and see how that goes.  Thx

• 6. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    PE 8 causes system to crash and reboot when burning DVD).

If you are getting a system reboot, it is very likely something else, and either hardware, or driver related. PrE 8 and the Export/Share/Burn might be the trigger, but is unlikely to be the cause.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), and it's likely that this is happening, but you have the OS set to Reboot on Errors, and may never even see the BSOD. My first step would be to change that, so that you can read the BSOD data - though it might all be "Greek" to you, and even to a MS engineer. Often, it's just a lot of gobbeldygook, and no one alive can make heads or tails of it - still, there can be useful data on that screen.

I would address the BSOD issue first, as much of what one could do with the program, will have little, or no affect, if the BSOD condition still presists.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                      Ed.Macke Level 3

Also, burning to a folder offers another advantage if you want to burn another DVD later on....

Let's say you used PrE to burn directly to DVD (instead of to a folder) and 2 years later you want to burn another copy (perhaps your DVD gets lost or damaged? Visiting in-law? Who knows?)

You'd have several things working against you.

• Unlike programs like Word, PrE is generally not backwards compatible. If you save a project with PrE v7, you'd better plan on using PrE v7 to re-open that project. If you upgraded to PrE v9 and didn't keep PrE v7 around, you'd probably be out of luck.
                      • Let's say you do have the correct PrE version still around and can still open your project. You also need to ensure all of the video, audio, and other assets used by your project are still around (preferably in the exact same location). If you've deleted the original source footage, you can't re-burn your DVD, even if the project itself is still around. Some of this can be made easier by the Project > Archive function.
                      • You have to go through the lengthy encoding process all over again.
                      • And hope it doesn't stall at 96% again

On the other hand, if you've burned to a folder, all you need to do to create a new copy is point any DVD-burning program (version doesn't matter) to the saved folder and click "Burn". No re-encoding needed. No source files needed. You don't even need Premiere.

Also, the folder takes up relatively little room (4.7GB max, often less).

• 8. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                        nealeh Level 5

This is where you should be making your selections (this from PRE9):

1.png

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                          mspeanutmm Level 1

I was able to successfully burn the video from Pre8 into a folder on my laptop.  I did not get 2 folders named VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.  Instead I now have several files (below):

VIDEO_TS_BUP (BUP File 12 KB)

VIDEO-TS (DVD IFO File 12KB)

VIDEO-TS (DVD VOB Files 8KB, length = 0)

VTS_01_0.BUP  (BUP File  38 KB)

VTS_01_0  (DVD IFO File  38KB)....there is a "video" tag on the file

VTS_01_1  (DVD VOB File  .99 GB, length: 18.28)

VTS_01_2  (DVD VOB File 980 MB  length: 17.34)

The question is do I select all these files when I burn the video onto a DVD?

• 10. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                            nealeh Level 5

Those files should be IN the folder VIDEO_TS. However most disk burning apps should be able to work with just those files. I suggest you burn (at x4 speed) using the free software ImgBurn. This is well proven and used by many of us on these forums. To lighten your day make sure to keep an eye on status messages at the bottom right of ImgBurn (it helps to have a British sense of humour).

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale.

If those files are not inside of the VIDEO_TS folder, then something is very wrong. That is the only allowed structure of DVD-Video.

It should look like this:

VIDEO_TS [Note: this is the root folder for the DVD-Video, and everything should be inside of it.]

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

etc., per your list

Is that VIDEO_TS folder not there? If so, what is the root folder, that your files are below?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                mspeanutmm Level 1

Thank you for replying.  YES, the files I listed are in a VIDEO-TS folder.  I have downloaded the imgBurn app and will attempt to figure out how to navigate their steps to get my video burned properly.  Any additional help will be appreciated.  Though I'm not british, I do have a sense of humor which has kept me away from the looney bin while I've been stumbling through my Pre8 experience, etc.

• 13. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                  mspeanutmm Level 1

My bad....I forgot to mention that the files listed are in the VIDEO_TS folder.  I guess I select all files within the VIDEO-TS folder to get imgBurn to burn?  Any additional steps to follow when using ImgBurn is appreciated.

• 14. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Great. I was confused, and worried that they were NOT in a VIDEO_TS folder. Just point ImgBurn to the VIDEO_TS folder, and do some preliminary settings, like Label, burn speed (about 1/2 of the max), and you are set.

If you do have an error, ImgBurn will tell you. Be sure to read the any error message completely, as you will likely get a laugh. Whoever wrote the error code had a good sense of humor (actually, I should say "good sense of humoUr," as I think the coder is British - at least the humour certainly is). Some days, when bored, I will do things that I know are wrong, just to read the error messages. Neale tells me that I need to "get a life... "

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                      mspeanutmm Level 1

The good news is that I was able to burn the video successfully!  Thanks to EVERYONE for guiding me through the process.  There are some rather odd things that happened that I thought someone may have solutions for:

1.  Prior to using imgBurn:  When I "burned" the video to the folder on my laptop within Pre8, I viewed it and found that several of the images were grainy now.  Only a handful looked to be of high resolution.

2.  Prior to using imgBurn:  When I "burned" the video to the folder on my laptop within Pre8,  viewed it and found that one of the video/audio clips (ported from the camera) was fading to black as it was playing.

Any suggestions?

• 16. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        1.  Prior to using imgBurn:  When I "burned" the video to the folder on my laptop within Pre8, I viewed it and found that several of the images were grainy now.  Only a handful looked to be of high resolution.

Were these still images?

If so, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of these stills? This ARTICLE will go into more background, and also offer tips for Scaling them, prior to Import.

2.  Prior to using imgBurn:  When I "burned" the video to the folder on my laptop within Pre8,  viewed it and found that one of the video/audio clips (ported from the camera) was fading to black as it was playing.

Not sure that I am following on this one. Are you saying that the Video Clip is Dipping-to-Black, and you did not add a Transition at that point?

If so, did you Keyframe any Opacity, etc., for that Clip and at that part of that Clip?

If you are talking about something totally different, can you perhaps post a screen-cap of your Timeline, at that point, and also show the Clip Keyframes (say Opacity) at that area, plus the Effects Control Panel (Edit Effects), so that we can see what is happening at that spot on the Timeline?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                          mspeanutmm Level 1

The photos are taken at 2112 x 2816.  In the past when I used PSE/PRE3 I had no problems with the resolution when I viewed it on a HDTV (it included the photos, one audio clip, and music). Today,  I'm just wondering if my new video made with PRE8 is too large (includes photos, audio clips, narrations, music) and taxed my laptop. I hate to re-do the video but I may have to start from scratch again.  I'll look into the video darkening issue when I get access to the laptop.   (A side note:  It was a breeze for me to use PSE/PRE3 without any help.)

• 18. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

With overly-large still images, the NLE (Non Linear Editor) program must do the scaling. With the exception of the new PrPro CS5 and full CUDA support from certified nVidia graphics cards, no NLE does a good job of the Scaling. PS/PSE is much better equipped to do that Scaling, and offers more Scaling algorithms to do so. When one lets the NLE do the Scaling, quality will suffer. Some images will show these quality problems, more than some others.

Good luck, and let us know more about that darkening,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                              mspeanutmm Level 1

Thank you all for your contributions in helping me out.  Faced with a time constraint, I was able to incorporate some of your invaluable suggestions and some I had to wait until I had more time.  I ended up re-doing the project.  In PSE8 editor, I used the "process multiple" button to reduce my photos to JPEG medium resolution.  There was no button to let me manually put in a resolution %.  I only found that if I were editing one photo at a time.  I created my slideshow with the narrations and audio clips.   I ported to PRE8 to add the soundtrack music.  Adding the music was easy.  The earlier problem of a video clip fading to black went away.  I was facing other things that were frustrating for me since I still am not familiar with all the bells and whistles of this app. to help me solve my problems. 

Thank you to several users for passing along the "imgBurn" info to burn the DVD.  It was very easy and fast.  I will review within the forum to see if I can get my answers to more PRE8 problems that I encountered.  If not, I'll be back..................

• 20. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got the Project done!

If you do not find the solutions to the other PrE questions, do not hesitate to post them, with details, here. I'd do a new post, just so that the title of this one does not put some observers off. The post's title can be a big draw, and the more "eyes" you get, the more likely it will be that you will get usable solutions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Which recommended sw to burn videos?
                                                  Ted Smith Level 3

If you have started off with high resolution stills of say more than 3 megapixels, and want to show them on a large HDTV of say 1900x1080 you will be very disappointed if you make a Standard Def DVD. You get about one quarter of the resolution even with an upscaling BD player playing DVDs. An old DVD video player can be worse again as some of them can only produce about 300 lines.

Even with only a half HDTV (1360x768) you still get a lot worse going down to 480 NTSC.

DVD and video relied somewhat on the images being moving frame to frame to give an illusion of detail. A freeze frame always looks fuzzier than when moving.

If you have Blue ray burning and playing capability, the result is remarkably better - as good as your TV set is capable of.