9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2007 8:15 AM by kgeiwitz

Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State

Brettttttt
      I've been trying to use mx:RemoteObject to access server session state. I write the following code:

<mx:RemoteObject id="objSession" source="servlet" />

in flex.war web.xml -->

<servlet>
      <servlet-name>servlet</servlet-name>
      <display-name>Provides access to the current session;
      for use with RemoteObject
      </display-name>
      <servlet-class>flex.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet</servlet-class>
      <init-param>
      <param-name>servlet.class</param-name>
      <param-value>flex.server.j2ee.remote.Session</param-value>
      </init-param>
      </servlet>

What am I doing wrong? I don't have the flex data server. Do I need the server?
      Also, Is there a better way to do this?

--thanks for any help. Bret Mullinix
        • 1. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
          mohanpatil
          You will need flex data service (lifecycle data service). You have to deploy web.war in your servlet container.
          • 2. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
            Level 7
            This isn't the way to do things in FDS. We no longer connect to servlets
            directly. Out of the box we want you to write a plain old java object
            and compile it into /WEB-INF/classes (or jar it up and put it in
            /WEB-INF/lib). You then create a remoting-service destination for your
            class and then specify this destination in your <mx:RemoteObject> tag in
            your client code. (Remember to restart the web application after making
            any configuration changes).

From your POJO you can get to the session through the static
            thread-local flex.messaging.FlexContext.getFlexSession(). This returns
            an implementation of flex.messaging.FlexSession. If your request was
            made over HTTP then the implementation will wrap the J2EE HttpSession
            and delegate any calls to it (such as getting and setting attributes).

Alternatively, if you know your POJO is always going to be contacted
            over HTTP you can ask the the HttpServletRequest through
            flex.messaging.FlexContext.getHttpRequest() and then get the HttpSession
            from that (via the usual getSession() method).

Remember that if you use flex.messaging.FlexContext etc... in your own
            java object you'll need to add /WEB-INF/lib/flex-messaging.jar and
            /WEB-INF/lib/flex-messaging-common.jar to your classpath.

Pete
            • 3. Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
              kgeiwitz
              Is there any way to make a new FlexSession if one doesn't exist (in java)?

I am having a problem integrating a flex app into an existing web app that has session variables set, but when I make a RemoteObject call it creates a __flexSession and deletes all my other session info. After making the RO call once, and the __flexSession is created, everything works fine . . . I have a work-around right now that involves making a RO call before entering the app, but I would like to start the session in java if possible. This seems to only happen on my Tomcat 6 (jdk 1.6) server. When I use JRun4 sp6 it seems to handle the addition of the __flexSession attribute into the session.

Kevin
              • 4. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
                Level 7
                Hi Kevin,

Which version of FDS or LCDS are you using?

If you're using J2EE sessions, then the Flash Player would have to send the
                cookie via HTTP that contained the jsessionid along with your RemoteObject
                request in order for you to be in the same session. Can you use an HTTP sniffer
                to see whether this cookie is being sent?

Pete

Hello kgeiwitz,

> Is there any way to make a new FlexSession if one doesn't exist (in
                > java)?
                >
                > I am having a problem integrating a flex app into an existing web app
                > that has session variables set, but when I make a RemoteObject call it
                > creates a __flexSession and deletes all my other session info. After
                > making the RO call once, and the __flexSession is created, everything
                > works fine . . . I have a work-around right now that involves making a
                > RO call before entering the app, but I would like to start the session
                > in java if possible.
                >
                > Kevin
                >

• 5. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
                  kgeiwitz Level 1
                  Pete,

LCDS 25

When I switch the protocol to http, so I can see it in the sniffer, everything works fine (tomcat and jrun).

So . . . maybe it has something to do with https ? ? ? (still not sure why it works in jrun but not in tomcat)

I tried adding the JSESSIONID to the response header of the jsp that has the swf, and as a parameter of the swf . . . neither worked.
                  • 6. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
                    Level 7
                    It may be something more complicated than this, but let's cover the basics
                    for HTTPS first before we start tracking down session cookies...

1. If you need to make a secure connection from the Flash Player, then the
                    SWF should be loaded via HTTPS. If you're using an HTML wrapper be sure that
                    the movie url for the SWF is HTTPS - if it's a relative URL this would mean
                    that the HTML wrapper itself would have to be loaded via HTTPS.

2. MSIE has problems with certain HTTP response headers when using SSL -
                    various combinations of Pragma: no-cache, Cache-Control: no-cache, or Expires
                    response headers can cause problems depending on the version of HTTP, whether
                    chunked or gzip encoding is being used, and the version of MSIE (with the
                    most problems seem to occur with MSIE 6).

3. If you're using a crossdomain.xml policy file, watch out for a Firefox
                    only bug where by if the Flash Player requests a crossdomain.xml from a URL
                    that specifies a port and is challenged by Basic Auth the subsequent request
                    will not work.

In general, when debugging HTTP/HTTPS issues it pays to use a sniffer to
                    watch the traffic between the client and the server. Since you're having
                    issues with HTTPS, you'll probably need to use a client-side proxy to do
                    the sniffing for you. Paros Proxy is a good example of a simple sniffer that
                    you can easily configure MSIE to use as a proxy and thus watch the HTTP headers
                    and bodies for the request and response before they are sent encrypted via
                    HTTPS.

Hello kgeiwitz,

> Pete,
                    >
                    > LCDS 25
                    >
                    > When I switch the protocol to http, so I can see it in the sniffer,
                    > everything works fine (tomcat and jrun).
                    >
                    > So . . . maybe it has something to do with https ? ? ? (still not
                    > sure why it works in jrun but not in tomcat)
                    >
                    > I tried adding the JSESSIONID to the response header of the jsp that
                    > has the swf, and as a parameter of the swf . . . neither worked.
                    >

• 7. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
                      kgeiwitz Level 1
                      NEVER MIND . . .

I switched my destination to the secureAMFChannel and everything is working.

SORRY FOR WASTING YOUR TIME
                      • 8. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
                        Level 7
                        Hey Kevin,

No worries, glad to hear that you tracked down the issue.

Since you are using secureAMFChannel, be mindful of the MSIE issues and HTTPS
                        as different web servers may add different headers based on their default
                        configurations. You may want to set the <add-no-cache-headers> property to
                        false for the endpoint configuration too to be sure that LCDS isn't adding
                        its own no-cache headers that may complicate the issue.

Pete

• 9. Re: Flex RemoteObject and Server Session State
                          kgeiwitz Level 1
                          Pete,

I am currently using the default channel-definition that came with lcds, which has the add-no-cache-headers property set to false (in services-config.xml).

Thanks for the warning, and your time.

Kevin