9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 5:12 AM by Rick-GC

Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs

SteveITKS

I was trying to create an AIP for distributing Reader X to our workstations, but during my testing I somehow messed up my own workstation.  I got the MSI working through GPO, but whenever I try to re-install Reader X on my machine, even though it says version 10.0.1, I get the "Access Denied" when opening files stored on our network shares.

I have completely removed Reader 9 and X and Acrobat 9 that I had installed.  They no longer show as installed in my list of programs, and their installation folders were removed.  I tried reinstalling 9.4 and upgrading to X over that, with no luck.  I also tried to clean up using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and CCleaner, to no avail.

I know I could simply disabled the Protected mode to get my PDFs working again, but I don't want to have to do that should it prove to be an effective security tool (plus I want to avoid being completely different than my end users).  Any ideas on how I can clear this up?

• 1. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
          Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please try the following:

Uninstall Reader and Acrobat (all versions) completely from your system if possible . Install Reader X fresh from the Adobe website.

After installation goto Help-> Check for updates  and if any update is avaliable update the Reader.

Try again accessing the PDf files at DFS shared location.

Also please tell the server or machine in which Reader is installed and from which you are trying to access the PDF files.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
            SteveITKS Level 1

I have already removed all versions of Reader and Acrobat, as stated in my original post.  I then installed direct from the Adobe website, but still encountered the access denied error.  The Reader X version stated it was 10.0.1 during the installation and that was the version after installation.

What I'm looking for is information on how to clear out all references to Reader X on my system, as some sort of registered DLL or registry entry seems to have been left over from my attempts at creating the AIP and testing it.

This is all on a Windows 7 Pro workstation.

• 3. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
              Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please try opening PDF file at DFS shared path using

1) right click on PDF -> Open with Adobe Reader

2) Launch Reader and using file -> open browse to the shared path and open the PDF file

3) Double click on the PDF file

Is the issue being observed in all the 3 methods of opening.

Also when u launch Reader please observe in the process explorer, the path of the AcroRd32 exe process pair.(Take mouse over to the process.It will give the path)

Thanks

• 4. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
                Rick-GC

I have same problem as original post. I tried open PDS using all three suggested methods and received same 'Denied Access' message for each. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Reader X to no avail. Using Process Explorer shows that the path is:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Checking properties shows Version: 10.0.1.434

I do not know if it has any bearing, but I get an error when trying to install Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1

• 5. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
                  Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

As you said the problem occurred after installing Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1.

Does it mean that before installing Adobe Flash Player 10.2.159.1 , Reader 10.0.1.434 was working for DFS share PDF files (it was able to open PDF files at DFS share location) ?

Thanks,

Shakti

• 6. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
                    brileo21

can you tell me how you completely removed the adobe reader 9 from your computer. I need to remove it to install a new up

• 7. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
                      Kshakti Adobe Employee

Hi,

After un-installing Adobe Reader 9 from control panel, goto the folder where Reader9 was installed ( By default it is C:/Program Files) and delete the folder Adobe Reader 9 if it exists.

For deleting registry entries, goto HKUS->Acrobat Reader and delete it.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
                        Rick-GC Level 1

Shakti,

No, It was not working even with an earlier version of the Flash Player. I mentioned it just because both problems occurred at about the same time.

Rick

• 9. Re: Reader 10.0.1 still won't open DFS PDFs
                          Rick-GC Level 1

I just used the uninstall from the Control Panel. I did not do any searching to see if any EXEs, DLLs or Registry settings were still hanging around.