19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 4:30 PM by msp1518

$1200 budget: Getting started building CS5 editing system

msp1518 Level 1

$1,200 is not enough for a killer system, yes, but I want to get started. My current system just isn't enough and I want to see if I can at least get a system up and running that I can add to over the next year.

The key is to get a system that: Has a good case for expansion, real good power in regards to MB and CPU combination, a video card I don't have to replace in six months, an excellent OS hard drive, enough memory for now that I can later double by just adding sticks. For now I can use the drives I have here for scratch and storage and then later add a set of drives in a RAID 0.

My biggest question has to do with the Motherboard and CPU. Choosing which ones is daunting. There are so many choices. Yeah, I want to go for an i7, but which one?

The nvidia GeForce GTX 470 is a card I see mentioned often, but I am not sure if that is what I need. My primary function will be editing HD video from DSLR's and HD scans of Super 8mm film.

More memory is better than ultra fast memory, correct? What about the amount of sticks? I read in places that the amount of sticks you have affects performance.

Some advice from the experts would be appreciated. As in, point me to some motherboard and CPU and vid card combinations. Thanks!