3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 8:26 AM by laurentagwhat

MinoHD Flip Cam audio not syncing with video

laurentagwhat

The saga continues...

(This originally started as the discussion about trying to round-trip audio to Soundbooth but I realized Soundbooth has nothing to do with it but haven't gotten anywhere else.)

The video and audio do not sync up in Premiere. They start out together and slowly get farther and farther out-of-step. This doesn't happen when the clip is played in any other program- Quicktime, playback on the camera itself, iMovie, Bridge preview (although that's really really choppy). So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the file itself.

I have a MinoHD Flip Video camera, 2nd Generation

It records 1280 X 720, 29.97 fps, 44100 audio

It creates mp4 files

Using the XDCAM EX 720p30 preset template does not work. Manually entering the parameters in Desktop doesn't work.

Trying different audio sampling rates like 48000 doesn't work. Rendering doesn't fix it.

I thought perhaps it was just the preview so I exported it from Premiere- still not synced.

I initially had the trial version but upgraded and installed all of the additional software and it still doesn't work. (I did not wipe and re-download the entire suite though because it's going to take hours on my internet connection. I'll do that when I go to bed tonight...)

I have the CS5 Production Premium.

The only time I can get footage shot on the Flip working in Premiere is to take it into iMovie, trim it to roughly the correct cuts, export it as a .mov, then open it up in Premiere. This takes far too long.

My eye has begun to twitch (literally). Please help!

Thanks-

Lauren

• 1. Re: MinoHD Flip Cam audio not syncing with video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To make sure PPro is reading your clip, read the 2nd post for NEW ITEM pointer

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770072?tstart=0
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MinoHD Flip Cam audio not syncing with video
            laurentagwhat Level 1

Yes, I've tried that and I've tried creating the sequnce myself.

Here is the sequence dragging and dropping onto the New Item button creates:

Screen shot 2011-03-04 at 9.09.04 AM.png

The audio on the video is compressed and it's stereo on the sequence-- that could be ok, I'm not sure, but it's the only descrepancy I can find between the two and don't know how to change it. None of my Google, lynda.com, or forum searches have brought up anything useful.

Thanks for the input!

• 3. Re: MinoHD Flip Cam audio not syncing with video
              Colin Brougham Level 6

The Flip is probably not doing a good job of writing metadata into the files that helps keep synchronization--or it may be doing that just fine, but Premiere can't deal with it. That's sort of the issue when dealing with consumer cameras like this--you can get some unexpected results.

Here's something you might try: download MPEG Streamclip for your operating system (I'm guessing you're on a Mac). Open up one of your MP4s with it, and then select File > Save As. By default, the file type should be set to MP4; leave that and just give it a new name. This is a lossless rewrapping of the file--the video and audio are extracted and the repackaged in a new MP4 container. Try importing that MP4 into Premiere, and check the synchronization.

If that works, I'll give you a clue as to how to batch those so you only have to do it once.