12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 2:24 PM by pauljones1965

Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?

pauljones1965

Hi, I have shot mp4 video on my Nokia N8 at 720 25p. It plays fine on the phone, in Ovisuite, on VLC mediaplayer and on NeroVision 10.

However, when I import into Premiere it comes in with a frame rate of 500fps, so plays mega fast, although the audio sounds fine.

I tries changing the frame rate to 25fps, but the result is quite smeary and the audio plays really slowed down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because as it plays perfectly on everything else (and also edits perfectly in NeroVision10) this suggests a Adobe problem?

Cheers

Philb1964

• 1. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
          dradeke Adobe Employee

weird.  You might post a small clip for people to download and try.

Try this too as a precaution: http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2011/02/premiere-pro-cs5-maintenance-two-great-tips. html

• 2. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
            pauljones1965 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I've uploaded a zipped file with some N8 footage. Anyone is more than welcome to download it & play. If you can find a solution to be able to work in Premeiere with a direct import of the files that would be fantastic!

http://www.4shared.com/file/-5_JRhlZ/n8-test-footage.html

Regards

P

• 3. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I've got the footage downloading now to test, but while waiting I went ahead and checked the specs on your phone...

According to Nokia's website, these are the codecs available for recording video: H.264 (base profile, main profile, high profile), MPEG-4, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, Real video 10. Is it possible that you had your phone set to record with RealVideo10 as the codec instead of Sorenson or VC? I've not tried importing RealVideo into PrPro, but I know that, like Apple's ipod formats, it's very picky about what can play with it...

Ok, it finished downloading... On import it came into PrPro as being 500fps. However, after going into interpret footage and telling it to read at 25fps, it gave me a final time of just over 11 seconds and seemed to play normally. There was no audio included with the file you uploaded, so I can't tell you anything about that.

PrPro is seeing it at 500 instead of the proper 25fps, but after interpreting to 25, it looks like a normal hand-held pan to me.

BTW, impressive image from a phone!

• 4. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                pauljones1965 Level 1

Wow, that was a quick reply - thanks!

I've checked the settings on the phone and it's definately MP4 & the highest setting - I think the Realplayer is for the lowquality setting.

As for the sound  there was audio on the clip, but I filmed it in silence - doh!

So I've just recorded a quickie of me counting into camera & zipped & uploaded it - 15meg

http://www.4shared.com/file/4U0PsN8S/n8-test_footage-2.html

Hope you'll see the problem! As to the smeariness I stated,I now realise it's because it's shot at 25p and I'm used to my video in 50i, so when the frame rate is changed it does play perfectly... apart from that sound...

Cheers

P

• 5. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok... I ran the file through MediaInfo and everything looks okay... there was nothing wrong with the file. It also played okay with Windows Media Player (though it still came in as 500fps to PrPro and when interpreted to 25fps, there simply was no audio--too much dead time at the beginning of your file. I got the little click right before the clip ended).

So, I ran the file through MPEG Streamclip which basically strips the wrapper off of the file and re-wraps it. The newly wrapped file opened just fine in PrPro and plays correctly at 25fps.

So while it's a hassle, your workaround is to get MPEG Streamclip and use it to re-wrap each of your files before you import them. It doesn't have to be too work intensive for you as you can set it to run whole folders of clips at a time (batch processing) and run and grab a cup of cofffee while it's doing it.

Good luck!

• 6. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                    pauljones1965 Level 1

Most appreciated David - I'll get that programme & give it a go.

Thanks for your help and if anyone can figure out a direct import in the future that would be great!

Meanwhile this sounds like a very usable workaround.

Thanks

P

• 7. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

PrPro is designed to work with professional file formats, and it often doesn't handle video off a phone or a cheap consumer grade camera very well. Just because something has an extension (wrapper) like .mp4 that matches more pro-grade codecs, doesn't mean that PrPro can handle it. .mp4 is just the wrapper--it's what's inside that wrapper that really counts. Because PrPro was able to handle the re-wrapped file with no issues, your internal stuff is probably okay, which means that the problem lies within the wrapper that your phone is putting on the video. And that's probably not something that can be "fixed" easily, I'm sorry to say.

• 8. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

PrPro is designed to work with professional file formats, and it often doesn't handle video off a phone or a cheap consumer grade camera very well. Just because something has an extension (wrapper) like .mp4 that matches more pro-grade codecs, doesn't mean that PrPro can handle it. .mp4 is just the wrapper--it's what's inside that wrapper that really counts. Because PrPro was able to handle the re-wrapped file with no issues, your internal stuff is probably okay, which means that the problem lies within the wrapper that your phone is putting on the video. And that's probably not something that can be "fixed" easily, I'm sorry to say.

Geez, David... you keep giving away my secrets

Seriously though: were you able to get MPEG Streamclip to properly remux these? When I did a Save As (which usually works with borked MP4s and MOVs), the "fixed" file showed the very same issue in Premiere. I even tried redownloading the clips, thinking maybe Premiere had already broken them, but no dice. I'm just curious which export option you used...

• 9. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Yeah, I just did "Export to MPEG-4" and went with the default settings, which seemed to match his original footage... that file was good. I didn't know about the "Save As" option remuxing everything...

And consider my sharing your secrets as the best form of flattery! You've helped me a ton with MPEG StreamClip, now I'm sharing the wealth!

• 10. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah, I just did "Export to MPEG-4" and went with the default settings, which seemed to match his original footage... that file was good. I didn't know about the "Save As" option remuxing everything...

OK, that explains it; anything tagged "Export" in MPEG Streamclip will actually force a recompression and repackaging. That's why the file is fixed when you do that: there is actually something weird about the video stream itself, and not just the container MP4. The Save As option will simply split the streams out and dump them in a new container; that usually fixes container issues but not stream issues.

However, a possible solution is to use Save As, but change the format to MOV; again, there is no reencoding, but for whatever reason, the MOV lets the video be imported (mostly) correctly, with sound. The file I just tested comes in with a frame rate of 25.06 (!) and looking at the Properties says this:

This movie appears to have DROPPED FRAMES.
                            There are 256 frames with a duration of 1/25th.
                            There is 1 frame with a duration of 3/25ths.

I think this is part of the explanation why the MP4 container falls apart, and why doing a full reencode fixes it, even to an MP4. The MOV can be reinterpreted to 25fps, if necessary, but it should be a problem leaving it as is for this purpose; just drop in a 25fps sequence and edit away.

I suspect the frame rate discrepency came from the fact that this is undoubtedly a low power encoder (since it's in a cell phone), and the waving motion simply maxed out the encoder. In fact, at one point, you can see the video freeze for three frames--which just happens to correspond to the "1 frame with a duration of 3/25ths" report above

• 12. Re: Import problems with Nokia N8 HD footage - help?
                              pauljones1965 Level 1

Thanks for all this testing guys, I'm really impressed! I'll try the mov option & see if there is any difference. Re-encoding to MP4 worked, but the files came out at twice the size.

BTW - usually I'm editing 'proper' files in Premiere, but loved the fact that this camera shoots very acceptable stuff in a pal framerate (very rare in phones) and while I may not always have a video camera to hand to capture a 'must have' moment, if I'm out & about I'll always have a phone with me. So although the chances are I'll never use any footage in a serious way, there may be a day, so thanks for sorting out a very workable workaround.

P