3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 9:56 PM by mdubuque

Quirky QTIndex files now polluting my Bridge views

mdubuque Level 1

Good morning,

I am managing many of my assets using Bridge.  This seems to have some real value for mixed source projects.

At any rate my pristine and nicely organized folders in Bridge are becoming contaminated with "QT index" files, which apparently have some link to QuickTime.

Here is a screen shot:

Screen shot 2011-03-04 at 7.29.49 AM.png

Because I am moving large amounts of assets throughout various programs in the Production Suite, these little white items are kind of annoying.

Any thoughts on how to eliminate them?  What are they?  If I eliminate them will I lose key information that I may want later?

Thanks for helping,

Matt Dubuque, 100 Trees

• 1. Re: Quirky QTIndex files now polluting my Bridge views
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Set your Media Cache Files preferences to go to a specific directory, not "next to originals when possible." This setting is in Premiere. After you set it, delete all the sidecar files, and wait for the sidecars to be recreated in the new directory.

Also, you can filter by extension in Bridge, so that you only see the files you want. Ultimately, I find Bridge to be worthless for video file management, but I know a lot of people like it. Just hunt around in the Bridge interface until you find the filter section, and disable "qtindex" in the view.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quirky QTIndex files now polluting my Bridge views
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I find Bridge to be worthless for video file management

Using solid state media with asinine folder structures, I can understand why.  But when you have all content - video, audio, timecode and other metadata - properly placed into a single file as we did with DV, Bridge is a very valuable tool.  Especially when you consider that it can also see into and show thumbnails for image files that Explorer can't, like TFF and PSD.

I will miss it when I upgrade cameras.

• 3. Re: Quirky QTIndex files now polluting my Bridge views
              mdubuque Level 1

Thanks Colin,

Being a serious student of Dziga Vertov, i can't resist including some montage and time lapse in my work.

With Bridge I can link smoothly to my Photoshop assets.  I like that.

Thanks for the tip on eliminating these!

Matt