18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 3:19 PM by slmngolf

T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export

slmngolf

Hi,

I'm fairly new to PP and I am having a very frustrating issue that I can't seem to find a solution to:

I am using .MOV files taken from my T2i.  The footage looks beautiful in VLC player and Windows Media Viewer, but, when I import it into PP, it looks washed out, and the colors are a lot less bright and vivid.

I'm on a Windows 7 machine.

I've done quite a bit of research into this and have learned about a potential problem regarding the gamma correction of Quicktime files, but I'm not using Quicktime Pro at all.  This is happening with my raw footage straight from the camera into PP.  Is there still a gamma correction issue with the .MOV files in PP?

I've also gone the route of adjusting brightness, contrast and saturation on my footage which seems to help, but it also seems counterintuitive to the actual problem upon import.  Plus, it's a killer on my workflow...

Someone please help!  I love the way my raw footage looks before import, and really want to know how to maintain that clarity through to the finished product.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Out of curiosity, do you enjoy working in a 32 bit environment, instead of 64 bit?

QuiRcktime is famous for destroying the 64 bit nature of CS5, reverting it to a CS4 alike program. Unless you rewrap your clips in something else than MOV, you will keep this problem. Your camera ought to come with software to do that for you. Otherwise search for it with Google.

On a PC nobody in his right mind would willingly work with anything QuiRcktime, it plain stinks.

• 2. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
            slmngolf Level 1

I guess I should have said that I am working in a 64 bit environment.  What tells you I am working in 32?

I did say though that I am not using Quicktime, Just a straight import into PP.  Or were you referring to the .MOV file type as "quicktime"?

• 3. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
              Harm Millaard Level 7

.MOV use the QTServer 32 driver, effectively destroying the 64 bit nature of CS5 and reverting to 32 bits. There is no 64 bit driver, so you cripple your system by using .MOV files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                slmngolf Level 1

Oh, wow...I had no idea!  I can't wait to get home to see if that fixes my problem.  So what would you recommend I wrap it in?

So to answer your original question of how I like working in a 32 bit environment:  It has been terrible!

Thank you immensely for helping out a newbie.

• 5. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                  slmngolf Level 1

I'll also be sure to get you that "Correct Answer" button push as soon as I get to put this to the test...

• 6. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Canon will most likely have a software utility to re-wrap that .MOV file into something like H.264.

• 7. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

You really should not mark Harm's answer correct, because it isn't correct--it's misinformation based on a bias.

QuickTime MOVs from the Canon DSLRs are handled natively by the Premiere Pro application, which is 64-bit. These files are H.264; other codecs that can be in MOV containers and natively handled include DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD. So this whole "destroying the 64-bit nature" is nonsense, and has no bearing whatsoever on what you're seeing. If you don't believe me, kill the Adobe QT32 Server process in Task Manager while you have some of these files imported, or before importing--they'll work just fine.

I work with T2i and 7D files all the time, and Premiere does a fanstastic job with these, and I haven't noticed any major color problems. If anything, playing back in desktop players makes the video look less like it really is, since there are issues with QuickTime gamma on Windows. I don't think I'd necessarily trust a player like WMP to produce accurate color, either. Are you using an external monitor for preview? What are you exporting to and playing back those files with to ascertain their "washed-outness?"

• 8. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Colin, wrong again.

Kill QTServer, try to import a MOV file and it gives errors. No audio and video stream.

Leave QTServer alive, and it imports correctly, albeit in a 32 bit environment.

You really should try things before you make these bold and wrong statements.

• 9. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

OK, now, if you read my post again, you'll see why you're the one that is wrong. Let me quote myself:

QuickTime MOVs from the Canon DSLRs are handled natively by the Premiere Pro application, which is 64-bit. These files are H.264; other codecs that can be in MOV containers and natively handled include DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD.

I did not say "all QuickTime MOVs;" I specifically mentioned three codecs that are exempt from handling by the Adobe QT32 Server process. Why don't you try a QuickTime with one of those codecs and try what I suggested?

Canon DSLR MOVs do not use the Adobe QT32 Server--end of story. Premiere natively imports and decodes these QuickTimes (along with a number of others) with no reversion to 32-bit mode as you claim in every post where someone mentions QuickTime. The QT32 Server handles certain codecs (e.g. MJPEG or PhotoJPEG) for which there is no native Premiere decoder.

• 10. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                            slmngolf Level 1

Hmmm...well this is less of what I wanted to hear...

I'm not using an external monitor.

As soon as I put the video in PP it looks washed out.  I noticed it when I had a raw clip open in VLC and the same clip imported into PP.  The VLC clip looks amazing; great clarity, depth and color, and the same clip, with no effects at all, just looks like there's a grey filter on it or something in PP.  Same thing with WMV, it looks great, but I did open a clip in Quicktime and it definitely looks more washed than the other players.

I've experimented with different export options; .wmv, .avi, H.264, all played back on VLC, and they all looked washed. It seems as soon as it hits PP, it gets that "washed-out" look which is depressing and sad.  If I were to make a filter for what my footage looks like in PP, I would call it "Post-war Russia."

Thank you very much for your input.

• 11. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                              slmngolf Level 1

Harm,

I opened PP, killed the QT32 server, and imported my raw .MOV file.  It worked just fine, no errors at all, and PP runs the same.

I also used the Canon software and wrapped my .MOV in .avi and H.264 and I'm having the same problem.  The footage looks washed-out when compared to viewing the footage in any other viewer, except for in Quicktime.

I'm beginning to think that my viewers (VLC, WMV, the Canon ZoomBrowzerEX Utility) are giving me a false sense of what my footage should look like....

• 12. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                                slmngolf Level 1

...which makes me sad because it looks so much better in the viewers than it does in PP.

• 13. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                                  mdubuque Level 1

Sim, I'm relatively new to this as well and I shoot on a Canon 5d Mark II.

Depending on how serious you are about all this, you might consider getting a professional monitor and calibrating it to known reference standards, like those color wheels and bars that you see on a TV station before it goes off the air.

Otherwise you will be trying to conform your colors to a completely random standard.  If you take my suggested approach, you will be far more confident of what is false and what is true in terms of color.  Right now, with all your components tuned to random and arbitrary standards it is difficult, to say the least, to completely solve the problem.

You can make some headway though. 

Also, and this is apparently controversial in some quarters, I do a custom white balance on each shot.  That really helps my blacks be blacker and my whites be whiter, increasing my "dynamic range" if you will.

Just a thought,

Matt Dubuque

• 14. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                                    rejdmast1 Level 2

Why don't you try generating some internal color bars from within PP on the same timeline

and see how they look.

This might start to narrow down your problem.

• 15. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                                      slmngolf Level 1

Please advise on how to do this...thanks for the tip!

--

Solomon Kamman

IMPORTANT WARNING:  This message and any attachments thereto is

intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed

and may contain information that is privileged and confidential, the

disclosure of which is governed by law.  If you are not the intended

recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the

intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,

copying or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender

immediately to arrange for return or destruction of these documents.

• 16. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        Please advise on how to do this

If you are asking about Color Bars, go to the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel, and choose Bars and Tone. Then, just drag the Color Bars to your Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: T2i .MOV footage is washed out in PP preview and in export
                                          mdubuque Level 1

I would start a new sequence and put some of your very best shots in it, along with some of the questionable ones and then some that you would include for other reasons.

It need not be a long sequence.   Four or five minutes should be plenty.

Now go to www.vimeo.com (like youtube but very high quality) and follow their directions on how to upload HD video to their site.

EXPORT your video from Premiere Pro following the recommendations of www.vimeo.com VERY CAREFULLY and then play back the footage in that very high quality environment.

If it plays much better there than what you have been getting in QuickTime, we may not have the complete and final solution, but we will know much much more.

Good luck,

Matt Dubuque 100 Trees