2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2011 1:39 PM by Andrew Yoole

what is REALLY the point of Ram Preview?

Jordan Olthuis

ok so in my AE comps I am trying to ram preview my work, but it only will go so far and then it stops, and I try to ram preview more by clicking the button again, but then it doesnt do any more of it, it just starts again maybe half way through what it already did and goes to the same point.  So I can't ram preview any more than a few seconds!

So I want to know if Ram preview is actually essential for exporting videos or using dynamic link into Pr.  Is it like 'render' in Pr?  Where you 'render' the files because they will look better and play back smoother and there will actually be a difference once exported as a movie file.

or is it simply just to be able to smoothly watch what you did in AE and no other reason?

because if I do need to Ram Preview all the work in AE before I either export or dynamic link to Pr than I seem to be screwed, because I can only Ram preview a short amount!

• 1. Re: what is REALLY the point of Ram Preview?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As the name suggests, RAM previews are for preview purposes.  They have no real use in relation to Premiere Pro, or to your final renders, although you can save RAM previews if you choose to.

RAM previews are simply a convenient way to preview your AE animation before committing to a final render.  The duration of a RAM preview is limited to the amount of available RAM in your system.  Try reducing the preview resolution to extend the duration of a RAM preview.

• 2. Re: what is REALLY the point of Ram Preview?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Jordan Olthuis wrote:

because if I do need to Ram Preview all the work in AE before I either export or dynamic link to Pr than I seem to be screwed, because I can only Ram preview a short amount!

Get used to it.  That's how AE works.  It's how it has ALWAYS worked, and people have been getting work done in AE for decades.  Your woeful lament is nothing new, I assure you.

Now there are a lot of ways to extend the duration of a RAM preview, such as dropping the resolution down, previewing every other frame, using the region of interest... you just have to learn how to use them.

And the Number One way to increase the length of RAM Previews...... get more RAM!  Bunches of it!

1 person found this helpful