7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 2:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?

the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, sometimes, people miss threads, and especially if they are not something that is nagging them. I fear that such a thread might go unseen by too many here.

If you have a few minutes to spare, take a look at this THREAD. If the early technical discussion is not something that you are interested in, please scroll down to the YouTube link, that the OP provided for the finished video.

Sit back, grab the popcorn, and enjoy! You should not be disappointed.

Hunt

• 1. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
          wyzboing Level 1

Pure genius.  How long did this take to make?  I am humbled.

• 2. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
            P_Forrest Level 1

Very slick and an amazing job overall!   Kudos!    I loved that man-eating squid.

My only "minor" critique would be the "pony" reference.  That was already used in Willy Wonka/Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and it distracted me from the story when it kept getting mentioned.   Though, I don't know if the rest of the story is just a take from something else.

I'm more from the Captain Blood fan club... hehehe  Levasseur le pirate!!!

Petey

• 3. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

I never saw Willy Wonka, so missed that reference. Now, I did catch the visual (and aural) reference to The Exorcist, and enjoyed that parody.

I picked up references to Pirates of the Caribbean, and also some for Star Wars (I think). There could be some references from Ice Pirates, but that was such a forgotten film, from quite long ago, that I would be amazed. Not sure about the ninjas, but MA films are not really my thing. I end up watching them late at night, when nothing else is on, and I still want some TV time. Almost anything from that genre goes over my head. Same thing with a lot of "family/children's" films. We have no children, and our neices and nephews are all married, so we don't see much of those - except when we're in the air, and the best film on UAL is Ice Age, or similar.

I'd love for Suzie to drop by the thread, and fill in some blanks on all the references. I have a feeling that there is far more parody, than I could possibly pick up on. For me, parody is a wonderful style, when done with subtlety. Too bad that I probably missed much of it.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
                P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Hunt,

You're right.  I thought of the parody angle as well (noticed Star Wars and Pirates...) but I was just a bit mystifed at the massive effort spent (with PE1 version 1.0).  I thought they intended to do a completely new piece.   Still, it's all great work.  I watched the whole thing.  First class work. 

cheerio!

Peter

• 5. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Which film was it, the Princess Bride (?), that was almost all parody? Whichever film I am trying to think of, I think they skewered almost every period film for the previous 15 years.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
                    Paul787 Level 3

Great video. I can only imagine how long it would have taken to set up and photograph the 8000 shots.

• 7. Re: Want to Spend a Couple of Enjoyable Minutes?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with you on that one. I've done some minor stop-motion (shot on cine, and not stills), and it is time consuming. Also, a bit nerve-wracking. Knock over an armature, and you have only two choices - start the whole scene over, or make sure that you have a logical cut-away, as you will NEVER get that object back in the same exacp spot.

Also, look closely at the lighting on the "night shots." Just good work, and better than a lot of night shots I see out of Hollywood. You can see enough detail, but the mood has been captured nicely.

I am still impressed.

Hunt