18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 12:17 PM by robirdman1

sound playback stops in loop

robirdman1 Level 1

I have a Samsung laptop with 4G of RAM. When I got Premiere Pro 5, I put a video on of a drummer.  I made a short section of 4 measures and looped it.  I lowered the duration tp 70% so I could better see and hear what was going on and play along. This worked OK.

Now though, with nothing else open and even after rebooting, I have the problem where the sound stops before the end of the loop when it cycles about 3 times.  Then it keeps dropping the sound unless I start over.

I don't know what has changed since last week, but I see that 96 processes are running even though only PP is open.

Also I am wondering if there is a way, when changing a duration if there is a way to have the looped part extend also instead of maintaining the previous end points and making new points.

• 1. Re: sound playback stops in loop
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I don't know what has changed since last week, but I see that 96 processes are running even though only PP is open.

Can you post a screen-cap of Process Explorer, or similar, so that others can comment on those 96 processes?

You did not list your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's and all their specs. Can you post that info too?

Have you updated your audio driver, especially after any OS updates, etc.?

You might also want to look over this ARTICLE, as there are tips for setting up one's computer for an editing session, plus tune up tips for one's OS.

As for things changing, have you added any new software, updated any software, or added any new hardware, since things ran better?

Last, how are you getting PrPro to play the loop, and what are the specs. of that file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: sound playback stops in loop
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I made a short section of 4 measures and looped it.

Are you sure you're in the right forum?  Premiere Pro doesn't have any looping abilities that I'm aware of.

• 3. Re: sound playback stops in loop
              robirdman1 Level 1

I am sure I am in the right forum.  I figured out how to loop the first day.  One of the reasons I wanted the program.  IF you wonder how, just look on the source or edit windows.  3rd icon from the right in the top row of controls, left of safe margins.

• 4. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                jeremy d. Level 3

OK, so what it appears that you are doing is looping the playback in the Source or Program monitor. In your first post, that was not clear --  it sounded as if you were trying to accomplish something that Premiere  won't do.

It would help to know how you set this loop up to play, and where it's playing.

• 5. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for those details. That is why I asked about how you were getting PrPro to play your loop.

As Jim and Jeremy state, that is totally different, than getting Audio to actually loop.

With step one behind us, what about the other questions?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                    robirdman1 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I see that I can use prtsc to get images of the processes in the taskbar, but I don't have Photoshop on this machine and am unsure of where to paste it.  I see can that it works if I paste to an email, but I haven't figured how I can create an image file.  Windows 7 probably has such a program but I haven't figured it out on this new laptop.

On this laptop I am not using any external media, speakers, external drives, etc.I can see that I have a C: drive with168 of 232G free and a D: drive with 314 of 346G free. From manage disks, it looks like they are partitions of on drive.  In system info, I can see more info and I/O stuff but I still don't know where to paste a screen capture on this machine to get it to a jpeg file.

I haven't added new software but I see that when I make a new clip from the video, it looped without the problem.  This is from just making a loop from further down in the timeline.  I think the difference is that in the first looped area, I tired some of the effects from the Classroom tutorial.  I made the image brighter, and maybe some other things.  I rendered it in case that was slowing down things, but it made no difference.

This is all from a section of video with audio recorded in a club with a D300s Nikon camera 1280x720, 24 fps.

I try find as close as I can from downbeat to downbeat of a 4 bar phrase and set the in and out points there, then press the loop button. Then if I slow the tempo, the points remain the same, while the video and audio is stretched beyond that.  I have to reset a new end point with every duration change.  Then I tried using the razor to cut out the part I want to loop and deleting the rest, but this doesn't help because if the speed is lengthened, I must extend the clip and find the end point again.  I am thinking if I export the clip file, then I won't have the before and after parts, but I haven't gotten that far yet as I am not sure what happens to the original, that I don't want to permanently truncate.

I was trying the same procedure with an audio clip with no video and it loops fine without dropout, perhaps because much less memory is required.

I just tried the export of the loop and importing back, and understand that it does leave out the rest.  Then I tested cutting the points of another loop in the same sequence, so I had 2 separate sections I wanted to be able to loop (not at the same time) Exporting this though and reimporting, I see that they don't maintain their separation, so the thought I could go through the original file and make separate cuts of all the sections and then reimport and  be able to see where each was doesn't work either.  As they are merged into one clip, changing speed will still make it hard to isolate the desired sections, though if I leave a gap, it will be easier to re-mark.  I just cant seem to find a way to have a loop's points follow the length rather than the time code.

• 7. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

On most Windows machines, MS Paint is installed, and should work. On a Mac, I think that the OS comes with iPhoto.

There are many free image editing programs, and IrfanView is one of the best.

One would just do a New Image and Paste from the Clipboard to it, or would just Open the image in the Clipboard. With a screen-cap, there is always much info that can be Cropped out - just show what you need to show, and Crop out the rest of the Desktop. Annotate, if necessary. Save_As PNG, or a higher rez JPEG, and those should attach, via the little "camera" icon, to the Reply/Post.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                        jeremy d. Level 3

This is still unclear, but it sounds like you are doing way to much work.

I try find as close as I can from downbeat to downbeat of a 4 bar phrase and set the in and out points there, then press the loop button. Then if I slow the tempo, the points remain the same, while the video and audio is stretched beyond that.  I have to reset a new end point with every duration change.

I just cant seem to find a way to have a loop's points follow the length rather than the time code.

This is all expected behavior -- in and out points on the timeline are usually not going to change simply because you're adjusting the lengths of clips on the timeline, either directly or by changing the speed of the clip. You can either move the out point to match your new duration, or select that clip in the timeline and tell Premiere to add Ins and Outs around that selection.

It sounds like you need to load your media in the Source monitor, select in and out points as close as you can around the chunk you need, and then drag it to the timeline. Now you have this section on the timeline that you want to preview repeatedly. You can drag the head and tail of the clip to refine which frames you want to keep, without having to resort to the razor tool, and you can adjust the speed.

While you're trying to finely adjust the frame-accuracy of your cut, you might want to use the trim monitor.

Why would you export this section of audio and then bring it back in? That makes no sense to me.

I think we are miscommunicating about terminology and workflow. We sould start with your overall goal -- what are you trying to accomplish? What it sounds like you're after, should be painfully simple.

• 9. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                          robirdman1 Level 1

I found the paint program using search.

Here are the screen shots.

ThanksPROCESSES 2.jpgPROCESSES 1.png

• 10. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                            robirdman1 Level 1

I see an advantage in putting the Video in the source montior first and making a rough cut and putting that on the track but this doesn't really address the problem either.  It seems like it should be simple but it isn't.

What I am trying to do is not make a video but cut segments of music videos or audios of jazz drummers or Indian tabla players.  I want to isolate a section of the track, such as 1 measure or 4 measures, depending on the difficulty of the material.  Then loop that segment from a downbeat to downbeat to be able to play along with till I can play the same part.  Sometimes the downbeat is not so easily idendtified which makes it much harder to get the loop as PP does not have a beat definer as music programs such as Cubase or ProTools have.

It is easier to figure what is going on if the tempo can be slowed down.  This is where the problem occurs.  When the track is stretched, the end points don't also move so then the endpoint must be found again.  Each tempo change requires refinding the endpoint.  It needs to be a fraction of a second accuracy or the loop will not be accurate enough and the ability to play along in time correctly and compfortably will be lost.

So if a pattern is figured out at a slow tempo and I can play along accurately, then I want to increase the tempo, perhaps in stages till it is at 100%.  But each time the end point is lost as well as any markers because they are linked to a time position not a frame.

This is a great way to learn very difficult stuff except for the steps needed at each stages.

Now I found that by exporting one 4 bar 4/4  pattern, which I actually figured out is 6 beats + 7 beats + 3 beats = 16 beats, then all the surrounding material is gone.  When I stretch the time, the loop ends before the pattern, but this can now be drawn out to its end and the end point put there for looping.  For a subsequent pattern it seems like I would have to go through the whole process again and export and save as a separate file and import in a new project, to minimize the amount of adjustments necessary.

If there is a better way, I'd love to know, as this is very inefficient!

• 11. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro is an NLE, not a DAW.  You may have better luck using the right tool for the job on this one.

• 12. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are trying to create loops, then Audition will offer the ability to use loopology. There, you can extend those loops to the exact Duration that you need in PrPro - just Import and place the output from those loops.

Good luck, and if you do much of this, and do not have Audition, I highly recommend that you look into it.

Good luck,

Hunt

For a quick tutorial on using loopology in Audition, see HERE.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added loopology link

• 13. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                  robirdman1 Level 1

I do have Audition on this computer.  However it doesn't view video files.

To do so is why I bought Audition. Besides being able to see what hands are playing, it would be useful to study other actions in a slow motion loop, such as dancing or martial arts, to better view and understand.

Ihave ordered Cubase 6, which is a much more advanced music program and may work for this purpose.

I had an earlier version 2,  but had trouble trying to use the video function, and I think any audiio tempo change modified the original audio. I will have to see what the much newer version is capable of.  At least I would be able to get very precise loops to import to PP, I think.

• 14. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What version of Audition do you have? It has been able to play video since at least Audition 2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                      robirdman1 Level 1

I have 1.5.  I only got it for exporting files as MP3 because my Cubase required something extra to do so.

I want to trim some videos I made, so I imported one into PP, then went to export and rename to overwrite the original as I am sure I don't need the beginning or end and need to gain HD space.  It said I don't have authorization to do so, though I am the sole user of this new laptop. I added an "a" after the name to make it different and then it saved.  Is this always necessary?  Now I will have to go through the extra stage of deleting the originals.

Actually I see that the original is now gone, which seems strange, since it said I couldn't overwrite it and I changed the name from 300_0230 to 300_0230a.

• 16. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                        jeremy d. Level 3

That file is in use when you're exporting, I don't imagine that Premiere or the Media Encoder would be very happy if that file was changed in the middle of the export.

• 17. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro is a non-destructive editor.  (As most prosumer/professional NLEs are.)

• 18. Re: sound playback stops in loop
                                            robirdman1 Level 1

That problem only happened with the first and after that PP started saving the files with a (1)

after the name so I still need to delete the original.

But now I am find when I play files, the sound drops out unless I stop and restart.

This is with no looping.