8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 9:09 AM by durf786

Dumbest question *EVER*!

durf786 Level 1

I confess, this is a dumb question that has probably been answered a million times. But I haven't found the answer. I have video clips that I want to put on DVD and I'd like Premiere Elements to automatically locate the individual clips and make a menu. Is that possible? If not, what is the easiest way to accomplish that?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If I understand correctly, that is basically how PrE works with DVD authoring (the process of doing Menus, and navigation for a DVD).

What you need to do, and you probably already know this, but will go over it, just in case, is to Import your Clips into a Project. The Project should match your source Clips 100%.

Drag each Clip to the Timeline, and edit, as is necessary.

When finished, choose the Menu Set (contains both the Main Menu and the Scene Selection Menu), then set your Menu Markers and your Chapter Markers.

Preview.

Burn to Folder, or Burn to Disc. PrE will automatially link your Chapters (you set these however you wish) to the Chapters in the Scene Selection Menu, and you are done.

Hope that helps, and is what you are asking. Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
            durf786 Level 1

That's what I thought. PE won't do it automatically. But I'm making a DVD now and it's easy enough to add menu markers when I add the clips. I'd tried that before and "Set Menu Marker" was grayed out, for some reason.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, and you MUST check me out on this, I think that PrE can do things like set Chapter Markers for a set Duration, say every 5 mins.

I use Adobe Encore to author, so am anything but an expert on using PrE for authoring. Others are much better at things like that, than am I.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
                durf786 Level 1

Yes PE can set markers at a set duration, but that isn't what I want. The videos are added as separate files, so it should be no problem for the software to set markers at the beginning of each video automatically and also locate an appropriate clip on the video to use in the menu. I have Windows software that can do the former; I don't know about the latter, but I do know that it's programmable.

I'd use my Windows software to do my DVDs, but I'm really trying to switch to Mac software.

• 5. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I am a PC-only guy, and have no clue what authoring programs might be available for the Mac. Think that one is iDVD, or very similar, but I know zero about it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know if you can do this with iDVD. But generally speaking the more sophisticated and professional the software is, the less likely you'll find these kinds of automatic features.

On a Mac platform, you'll likely need to go with a program like Encore or a program in the Final Cut production suite. It likely won't be cheap and it won't be automatic.

Though, as Bill and Neale point out, this isn't that hard to do in Premiere Elements. It's just not automatic.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes Steve, hardly anything in Encore is automatic. Almost everything must be done by hand, but along with that comes extreme power, so there IS a trade off.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Dumbest question *EVER*!
                        durf786 Level 1

I can't see any reason why adding complex functions precludes having simple ones. But that's Apple - gotta love the hardware; the software, not so much.

Thanks!