7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 9:43 AM by the_wine_snob

PE9 freeze on VOB capture

LBW_chp

I just installed PE9 onto my machine and can't capture video.  I am running a PC with Windows 7.  I have an i7 930 2.8 GHz with 6 GB RAM.  I have been trying to capture video from a DVD and PE9 just freezes and locks down my entire system.  The files are in IFO, BUP, and VOB.... VOB being the video.  I don't get an error message, I only see "not responding" in the bar and everthing locks up.  I am a first time user of PE and haven't been able to do anything with it yet, please help!

• 1. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, how are you trying to "Capture?"

In general terms, "Capture," is done from a miniDV tape camera via FireWire, or from an A-D bridge, like the Canopus ADVC-110, from either analog, or digital equipment.

With a VOB, provided that it is 100% DVD-compliant, one would instead Import the VOB. The process is simple: just Copy the VOB(s) to the HDD (suggested workflow for several reasons), and then with Get Media, Import the VOB into the Project.

Not sure of the method that you are using.

Also, see this ARTICLE for some background on VOB's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, technically you don't capture video from a DVD. You rip it to your computer.

Is this what you're doing? Did you put the DVD in your computer's disc drive and use Get Media/From DVD to get the video?

Is your project set up using the settings for a Hard Drive/Flash Drive Camcorder?

Where is this DVD from? If it's from a camcorder, has it been finalized? If not, who created the DVD?

If all is as it should be, your problem likely related to a lack of free, defragmented space on your C drive. How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

• 3. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For a good rapid start with the program, I strongly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series at Muvipix.com. After that, he has a Learning Series, that is free to subscribers, and then several great books, leading up to his Tips & Tricks for PrE.

That Basic Training Series, will get you started, and show you how everything is done in PrE. The Learning Series takes up from there, and the books cover it all, with Tips & Tricks showing you how to take your videos to a new dimension.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
                LBW_chp Level 1

Wow, thank you guys for the fast responses!  I was trying to get the VOB directly off the DVD in my drive.  It is video from a camcorder and has been finalized.  I was using the, get video from "DVD Camcorder or PC DVD Drive".  It would show the VOB file and when I ask it to get the file, it freezes up.  It sounds like I should copy the VOB file to my hard drive first, then try to get it from there?

• 5. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I mentioned that the Copying of the VOB to the HDD is preferred. There are two main reasons for doing that:

DVD multi-drives are very slow, and trying to use material directly from the DVD can be too slow for a program. Windows Explorer is very patient, and will calmly wait, while the data is being written to the much faster HDD.

If one has Imported directly from the DVD, then that disc must be in the multi-drive, whenever that Project is Opened, or all media will be Offline. When one Imports an Asset into a PrE Project, the media file is NOT copied over, and does not exist within the Project's file, the PREL. Only a link to the location is included, and if that Link is broken, such as the DVD being removed, or not available, then the program has nothing to Link to, and will have to Offline that media. By having the file on your HDD, and not Moving, Deleting or Renaming it, will mean that the Link is constant, plus things will be MUCH quicker.

Hope that explains things, and will help.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
                    LBW_chp Level 1

Thank you very much for your replies.  I now understand that VOB files are a pain in the butt, LOL.  I will continue to read up on it (your links are extremely helpful) and hopefully I will be able to change the format over to something PrE will be able to work with more easily.

• 7. Re: PE9 freeze on VOB capture
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, VOB's do have some unique issues, but I feel that the biggest problem is that they contain highly-compressed MPEG-2 footage. They are fine for displaying as DVD-Video directly, but when one edits that material, most Export/Share setting will re-compress them in Transcode. Quality will go down, though if there is not much off-axis motiong (either subject or camera), it might not appear so bad.

Good luck,

Hunt