2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 1:06 PM by JoshBeall

ErrorTipManager tips won't scroll tooltips in Spark scroller--workarounds?

JoshBeall Level 1

Hi All,

I've used Chris Callendar's excellent ErrorTipManager to make my validation error flags more visible to users.  It works great and everyone likes it--except for one thing.  If I am using a Spark scroller (instead of an MX component with scrollbars), the error tips don't scroll when the rest of the components scroll.

Is there a workaround for this?  Has anybody been able to get the ErrorTipManager class to scroll with Spark components?

-Josh

• 1. Re: ErrorTipManager tips won't scroll tooltips in Spark scroller--workarounds?
          JoshBeall Level 1

By the way, I did see that there is a comment dated December 2, 2010 8:53 AM by "CashCow" where he outlines his solution to the scrolling problem.  It doesn't work for me, though--I put in some debug breakpoints and I see that the registerValidatorOnPopUp function, which is the key place where he added some code, never gets called.  I did a search through the code and I don't ever see it being called or event listeners being added that have that function as the listener.

• 2. Re: ErrorTipManager tips won't scroll tooltips in Spark scroller--workarounds?
            JoshBeall Level 1

I used CashCow's code as a starting point to get this working.  I'm not sure why his code works for him but not for me, but what I could see is that I was never getting PropertyChangeEvents to happen--it looked to me like his code might only work if you're using the validators in a popup?

At any rate, I reworked it a bit and got it to work for me.  I would attach it to this post, but I don't see an "attach" feature.  Instead I've just pasted it inline--sorry it's almost 700 lines long.  I tried to comment all my changes and end them with "~JMB", so you can quickly see where I've modified things from CashCow's version of the fix.  But to really see what's changed, I'd recommend you use a tool like WinMerge to do a diff between what I've got and the latest version on Chris Callander's blog.

The key thing I did was add PropertyChangeEvents on all the parents of the target and then check to see if the horizontalScrollPosition or verticalScrollPosition of a parent container changes.  So, if the scroll position does change, then we have to figure out what target components are inside the container that was scrolled.  We then try and match up the target components with registered validators, and when we find a match, we reposition the error tip.

I'm interested in feedback.  And, I'm interested in an official fix for this issue from Adobe.  Maybe SDK-11256 will be addressed soon? :-)

-Josh

package validation
            {
                 import flash.display.DisplayObject;
                 import flash.display.DisplayObjectContainer;
                 import flash.events.Event;
                 import flash.events.IEventDispatcher;
                 import flash.geom.Point;
                 import flash.geom.Rectangle;
                 import flash.utils.Dictionary;
                 import flash.utils.clearTimeout;
                 import flash.utils.getQualifiedClassName;
                 import flash.utils.setTimeout;

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
                 import mx.controls.Alert;
                 import mx.controls.ToolTip;
                 import mx.core.Container;
                 import mx.core.IChildList;
                 import mx.core.IInvalidating;
                 import mx.core.IToolTip;
                 import mx.core.UIComponent;
                 import mx.events.FlexEvent;
                 import mx.events.MoveEvent;
                 import mx.events.PropertyChangeEvent;
                 import mx.events.ResizeEvent;
                 import mx.events.ScrollEvent;
                 import mx.events.ToolTipEvent;
                 import mx.events.ValidationResultEvent;
                 import mx.managers.SystemManager;
                 import mx.managers.ToolTipManager;
                 import mx.styles.IStyleClient;
                 import mx.validators.ValidationResult;
                 import mx.validators.Validator;

import spark.components.Group;

/**
                  * This class makes the error ToolTip shown up all the time instead of 
                  * just when the mouse is over the target component.
                  * It is designed to work with a Validator control, but you can manually use this class
                  * by calling the showErrorTip() and hideErrorTip() functions too.
                  * <br>
                  * When the showErrorTip(target:Object, error:String) function is called, if the error String is null and
                  * the target is a UIComponent then the UIComponent.errorString property is used in the error tip.
                  * <br>
                  * Here are some more resources on the issue:<br>
                  * <li><a href="http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-11256">Adobe Bug Tracker</a></li>
                  * <li><a href="http://aralbalkan.com/1125">Aral Balkan - Better form validation in Flex</a></li>
                  * <li><a href="http://blog.flexmonkeypatches.com/2007/09/17/using-the-flex-tooltip-manager-to-create-error-tooltips-and-position-them/">Creating Error Tooltips</a></li>
                  * @author Chris Callendar
                  * @date August 5th, 2009
                  */
                 public class ErrorTipManager
                 {

/**
                       *  maps the target components to the error IToolTip components
                       */
                      private static var errorTips:Dictionary = new Dictionary(true);

/**
                       * Maps the validators to a boolean indicating whether the toolTipShown event 
                       * listener has been added to the validator source property.
                       */
                      private static var validators:Dictionary = new Dictionary(true);

/**
                       *  maps the popUps to an Array of validators
                       */
                      private static var popUps:Dictionary = new Dictionary(true);

/**
                       *  maps the parent containers to an Array of validator source components
                       */
                      private static var containersToTargets:Dictionary = new Dictionary(true);

/**
                       * Adds "invalid" and "valid" event listeners which show and hide the error tooltips.
                       */
                      public static function registerValidator(validator:mx.validators.Validator):void {
                           validator.addEventListener(ValidationResultEvent.VALID, validHandler, false, 0, true);
                           validator.addEventListener(ValidationResultEvent.INVALID, invalidHandler, false, 0, true);
                           validators[validator] = false;

// Also listen for when the real mouse over error tooltip is shown 
                           addValidatorSourceListeners(validator);
                      }

/**
                       * Removes the "invalid" and "valid" event listeners from the validator.
                       * Also removes the error tip.
                       */
                      public static function unregisterValidator(validator:mx.validators.Validator):void {
                           validator.removeEventListener(ValidationResultEvent.VALID, validHandler);
                           validator.removeEventListener(ValidationResultEvent.INVALID, invalidHandler);
                           // make sure our error tooltip is hidden
                           removeErrorTip(validator.source);
                           // stop listening for events on the validator's source
                           removeValidatorSourceListeners(validator);

// Should we be setting validators[validator] to be null? I'm not sure... ~JMB 2011/03/08
                      }

/**
                       * Registers the validator (see registerValidator), and adds MOVE and RESIZE listeners
                       * on the popUp component to keep the error tip positioned properly.
                       * It can also hide all existing error tips which is a good idea when showing a popUp
                       * because the error tips will appear on top of the popUp window.
                       * @param validator the validator to register
                       * @param popUp the popUp component which will have move and resize listeners added to
                       * @param hideExistingErrorTips if true then all existing error tips will be hidden
                       */
                      public static function registerValidatorOnPopUp(validator:mx.validators.Validator, popUp:UIComponent, 
                                                                                  hideExistingErrorTips:Boolean = false):void {
                           // hide all existing error tips to prevent them from being on top of the popUp
                           if (hideExistingErrorTips) {
                                hideAllErrorTips();
                           }
                           registerValidator(validator);
                           if (popUps[popUp] == null) {
                                popUps[popUp] = [];
                                // add move/resize listeners on the popUp to keep the error tip positioned properly
                                popUp.addEventListener(MoveEvent.MOVE, targetMoved, false, 0, true);
                                popUp.addEventListener(ResizeEvent.RESIZE, targetMoved, false, 0, true);
                           }
                           var validators:Array = (popUps[popUp] as Array);
                           if (validators.indexOf(validator) == -1) { 
                                validators.push(validator);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Unregisters all the validators that are associated with the given popup.
                       * Also removes the MOVE and RESIZE listeners on the popUp.
                       * It can also re-validate all existing validators which will show the error tips if necessary. 
                       * @param popUp the popUp component which will have move and resize listeners added to
                       * @param validateExistingErrorTips if true then all other validators will be validated
                       */
                      public static function unregisterPopUpValidators(popUp:UIComponent, validateExistingErrorTips:Boolean = false):void {
                           if (popUps[popUp] != null) {
                                var validators:Array = (popUps[popUp] as Array);
                                for each (var validator:mx.validators.Validator in validators) {
                                     unregisterValidator(validator);
                                }
                                delete popUps[popUp];
                                // remove the move/resize listeners on the popUp
                                popUp.removeEventListener(MoveEvent.MOVE, targetMoved);
                                popUp.removeEventListener(ResizeEvent.RESIZE, targetMoved);
                           }
                           // show any error tips that were showing before the popUp was shown
                           if (validateExistingErrorTips) {
                                validateAll();
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Adds the ToolTipEvent.TOOL_TIP_SHOW event listener on the validator's source
                       * only if it hasn't already been added.
                       */
                      private static function addValidatorSourceListeners(validator:mx.validators.Validator):void {
                           // make sure the listeners have been added
                           if (validator) {
                                var alreadyAdded:Boolean = validators[validator];
                                if (!alreadyAdded && (validator.source is IEventDispatcher)) {
                                     var ed:IEventDispatcher = (validator.source as IEventDispatcher);
                                     // need to listener for when the real tooltip gets shown 
                                     // we'll hide it if is an error tooltip since we are already showing it 
                                     ed.addEventListener(ToolTipEvent.TOOL_TIP_SHOWN, toolTipShown, false, 0, true);
                                     // also need to listen for move and resize events to keep the error tip positioned correctly
                                     ed.addEventListener(MoveEvent.MOVE, targetMoved, false, 0, true);
                                     ed.addEventListener(ResizeEvent.RESIZE, targetMoved, false, 0, true);
                                     ed.addEventListener(FlexEvent.HIDE, targetHidden, false, 0, true);
                                     ed.addEventListener(FlexEvent.REMOVE, targetRemoved, false, 0, true);
                                     validators[validator] = true;

// listen for scroll events on the parent containers
                                     if (validator.source is DisplayObject) {
                                          var obj:DisplayObject = (validator.source as DisplayObject);
                                          var parent:DisplayObjectContainer = obj.parent;
                                          while (parent) {
                                               // MX containers will not dispatch scroll events. Instead, we need to listen for the
                                               // PropertyChangedEvent and if the horizontalScrollPosition or verticalScrollPosition
                                               // is changed, then we can recalculate the errorTips position. ~JMB 2011/03/08
                                               if (parent is Container || parent is Group) {
                                                    if(parent is Container){
                                                         parent.addEventListener(ScrollEvent.SCROLL, parentContainerScrolled, false, 0, true);
                                                    } else if (parent is Group) {
                                                         parent.addEventListener(PropertyChangeEvent.PROPERTY_CHANGE, targetMoved, false, 0, true);
                                                    }
                                                    if (!(containersToTargets[parent] is Array)) {
                                                         containersToTargets[parent] = [];
                                                    }
                                                    var array:Array = (containersToTargets[parent] as Array);
                                                    if (array.indexOf(obj) == -1) {
                                                         array.push(obj);
                                                    }
                                               }
                                               parent = parent.parent;
                                          }
                                     }
                                }
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Removes the event listeners that were added to the validator's source.
                       */
                      private static function removeValidatorSourceListeners(validator:mx.validators.Validator):void {
                           if (validator && (validators[validator] == true)) {
                                if (validator.source is IEventDispatcher) {
                                     var ed:IEventDispatcher = (validator.source as IEventDispatcher);
                                     ed.removeEventListener(ToolTipEvent.TOOL_TIP_SHOWN, toolTipShown);
                                     ed.removeEventListener(MoveEvent.MOVE, targetMoved);
                                     ed.removeEventListener(ResizeEvent.RESIZE, targetMoved);
                                     ed.removeEventListener(FlexEvent.HIDE, targetHidden);
                                     ed.removeEventListener(FlexEvent.REMOVE, targetRemoved);

if (validator.source is DisplayObject) {
                                          var obj:DisplayObject = (validator.source as DisplayObject);
                                          var parent:DisplayObjectContainer = obj.parent;
                                          while (parent) {
                                               // See addValidatorSourceListeners function, where event listeners are added, for
                                               // explanation of distinction between Container and Group. ~JMB 2011/03/08
                                               if (parent is Container || parent is Group) {
                                                    if(parent is Container){
                                                         parent.removeEventListener(ScrollEvent.SCROLL, parentContainerScrolled);
                                                    } else if (parent is Group) {
                                                         parent.removeEventListener(PropertyChangeEvent.PROPERTY_CHANGE, targetMoved);
                                                    }
                                                    if (containersToTargets[parent] is Array) {
                                                         var array:Array = (containersToTargets[parent] as Array);
                                                         var index:int = array.indexOf(obj);
                                                         if (index != -1) {
                                                              array.splice(index, 1);
                                                              containersToTargets[parent] = array;
                                                         }
                                                    }
                                               }
                                               parent = parent.parent;
                                          }
                                     }
                                }
                                delete validators[validator];
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Called when the validator fires the valid event.
                       * Hides the error tooltip if it is visible.
                       */
                      public static function validHandler(event:ValidationResultEvent):void {
                           // the target component is valid, so hide the error tooltip
                           var validator:mx.validators.Validator = event.target as mx.validators.Validator; 
                           hideErrorTip(validator.source);
                           // ensure that the source listeners were added 
                      }

/**
                       * Called when the validator fires an invalid event.
                       * Shows the error tooltip with the ValidatorResultEvent.message as the error String.
                       */
                      public static function invalidHandler(event:ValidationResultEvent):void {
                           // the target component is invalid, so show the error tooltip 
                           var validator:mx.validators.Validator = event.target as mx.validators.Validator;
                           showErrorTip(validator.source, event.message);
                           // ensure that the source listeners were added 
                      }

private static function parentContainerScrolled(event:ScrollEvent):void {
                           var parent:DisplayObjectContainer = (event.target as DisplayObjectContainer);
                           if (parent && (containersToTargets[parent] is Array)) {
                                var targets:Array = (containersToTargets[parent] as Array);
                                if (targets && (targets.length > 0)) {
                                     // need to wait a fraction of a second for the scroll event to be finished
                                     // and the each targets position to be updated
                                     var id:uint = setTimeout(function():void {
                                          clearTimeout(id);
                                          for each (var target:DisplayObject in targets) {
                                               // make sure the source target is actually visible (not scrolled out of the view)
                                               var pt:Point = target.localToGlobal(new Point());
                                               pt = parent.globalToLocal(pt);
                                               if ((pt.x < 0) || (pt.y < 0) || 
                                                    ((pt.x + target.width) > parent.width) || 
                                                    ((pt.y + target.height) > parent.height)) {
                                                    // the source component isn't fully visible, so hide the error tip 
                                                    hideErrorTip(target);
                                               } else {
                                                    // re-position the error tip, also will make it visible if it was hidden
                                                    updateErrorTipPosition(target, true);
                                               }
                                          }
                                     }, 50);
                                }
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * When a target is hidden, then make sure the error tip is hidden too.
                       */
                      private static function targetHidden(event:FlexEvent):void {
                           var target:DisplayObject = (event.target as DisplayObject);
                           hideErrorTip(target, true);
                      }

/**
                       * When a target is removed, then make sure the error tip is hidden too.
                       */
                      private static function targetRemoved(event:FlexEvent):void {
                           removeErrorTip(target, true);
                      }

/**
                       * When the target component moves or is resized we need to keep the 
                       * error tip in the correct position.
                       */
                      private static function targetMoved(event:Event):void {
                           if(isExcludedEvent(event))
                                return; // Don't continue if this is not an event we care about.

// Now here we have an issue.  If this was a PropertyChangeEvent
                           // on a container that had it's horizontal or vertical scroll
                           // position changed, then the information passed in to this listener
                           // will not include which error tips we want to move.  Instead,
                           // we need to loop over all the targets (those will be the input
                           // components, like a TextInput, and see if any are contained by
                           // the container we got an update for. If so, then we will want 
                           // to update the error tip position for those target components. 

var realTargets:Array = containersToTargets[target] as Array;
                           if(realTargets != null){
                                // Loop over the actual target components (e.g., TextInput)
                                // that were affected by this move.
                                for each(var realTarget:DisplayObject in realTargets){
                                     // Now loop over the validators and find the validators
                                     // that are assigned to this target.
                                     for (var valObj:Object in validators){
                                          var val:mx.validators.Validator = valObj as mx.validators.Validator;
                                          // If we find a match, then we pass this target to
                                          // handleTargetMoved, which will update the errorTip
                                          // position appropriately.
                                          if(val != null && realTarget != null && val.source == realTarget){
                                               handleTargetMoved(realTarget);
                                          }
                                     }
                                }
                           } 

// check if the target is actually a popUp, in which case we get the real
                           // target from the validator source
                           if (popUps[target] != null) {
                                var validators:Array = (popUps[target] as Array);
                                for each (var validator:mx.validators.Validator in validators) { 
                                     var source:DisplayObject = (validator.source as DisplayObject);
                                     handleTargetMoved(source);
                                }
                           } else {
                                handleTargetMoved(target);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Filter non scroll property events and duplicate scroll property events
                       */
                      private static function isExcludedEvent(event:Event):Boolean {
                           var result:Boolean = false;
                           var propertyChangeEvent:PropertyChangeEvent = event as PropertyChangeEvent;

if(propertyChangeEvent != null){
                                if (propertyChangeEvent.type == PropertyChangeEvent.PROPERTY_CHANGE
                                     && propertyChangeEvent.property != "horizontalScrollPosition"
                                     && propertyChangeEvent.property != "verticalScrollPosition" ) {
                                     result = true;
                                } 
                                if (propertyChangeEvent.type == PropertyChangeEvent.PROPERTY_CHANGE
                                     && propertyChangeEvent.source != propertyChangeEvent.currentTarget) {
                                     result = true;
                                } 
                           }
                           return result;
                      }

private static function handleTargetMoved(target:DisplayObject):void {
                           if (target is UIComponent) {
                                // need to wait for move/resize to finish
                                UIComponent(target).callLater(updateErrorTipPosition, [ target ]);
                           } else {
                                updateErrorTipPosition(target);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Moves the error tip for the given target.
                       * It can also make it visible if the error tip exists but is hidden. 
                       */
                      public static function updateErrorTipPosition(target:Object, makeVisible:Boolean = false):void {
                           var errorTip:IToolTip = getErrorTip(target);
                           if (errorTip) {
                                if (makeVisible && !errorTip.visible) {
                                     errorTip.visible = true;
                                }
                                positionErrorTip(errorTip, target as DisplayObject);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * This gets called when the mouse hovers over the target component 
                       * and a tooltip is shown - either a normal tooltip or an error tooltip.
                       * If the tooltip is an error tooltip and our error tooltip is already showing
                       * then we hide this new tooltip immediately.
                       */
                      private static function toolTipShown(event:ToolTipEvent):void {
                           // hide our error tip until this tooltip is hidden
                           var style:Object = ToolTip(event.toolTip).styleName;
                           if ((style == "errorTip") && (getErrorTip(event.target) != null)) {
                                // hide this tooltip, ours is already displaying (or is about to display)
                                event.toolTip.visible = false;
                                event.toolTip.width = 0;
                                event.toolTip.height = 0;
                                event.currentTarget.dispatchEvent(new ToolTipEvent(ToolTipEvent.TOOL_TIP_HIDE, false, false, event.toolTip)); 
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Gets the cached IToolTip object for the given target.
                       */
                      public static function getErrorTip(target:Object):IToolTip {
                           return (target ? errorTips[target] as IToolTip : null);
                      }

/**
                       * Determines if the error tooltip exists and if it is visible.
                       */
                      public static function isErrorTipVisible(target:Object):Boolean {
                           return (errorTip && errorTip.visible);
                      }

/**
                       * Creates the error IToolTip object if one doesn't already exist for the given target.
                       * If the error tooltip already exists then the error string is updated on the existing tooltip.
                       * The tooltip will not be shown if the error (or errorString) is blank. 
                       * @param target the target component (usually a UIComponent)
                       * @param error the optional error String, if null and the target is a UIComponent then 
                       *  the target.errorString property is used.
                       */
                      public static function createErrorTip(target:Object, error:String = null):IToolTip {
                           var errorTip:IToolTip = null;
                           var position:Point;
                           if (target) {
                                // use the errorString property on the target
                                if ((error == null) && (target is UIComponent)) {
                                     error = (target as UIComponent).errorString;
                                }
                                errorTip = getErrorTip(target);
                                if (!errorTip) {
                                     if ((error != null) && (error.length > 0)) {
                                          position = getErrorTipPosition(target as DisplayObject);
                                          errorTip = ToolTipManager.createToolTip(error, position.x, position.y);
                                          errorTips[target] = errorTip;

sizeErrorTip(errorTip);
                                          // update the position (handles the tooltip going offscreen)

// set the styles to match the real error tooltip 
                                          var tt:ToolTip = ToolTip(errorTip);
                                          tt.styleName = "errorTip";
                                     } 
                                } else if ((error != null) && (error != errorTip.text)) {
                                     // update the error tooltip text
                                     errorTip.text = error;
                                     // update the position too
                                     //position = getErrorTipPosition(target as DisplayObject);
                                     //errorTip.move(position.x, position.y);
                                }
                           }
                           return errorTip;
                      }

/**
                       * Gets the position for the tooltip in global coordinates.
                       */
                      private static function getErrorTipPosition(target:DisplayObject):Point {
                           // position the error tip to be in the exact same position as the real error tooltip
                           var pt:Point = new Point();
                           if (target) {
                                // need to get the position of the target in global coordinates 
                                var global:Point = target.localToGlobal(new Point(0, 0));
                                // position on the right side of the target
                                pt.x = global.x + target.width + 4;
                                pt.y = global.y - 1;
                           } 
                           return pt;
                      }

/**
                       * Gets the position for the error tip. 
                       * Copied from ToolTipManagerImpl.positionTip()
                       */
                      private static function positionErrorTip(errorTip:IToolTip, target:DisplayObject, bringInFront:Boolean = true):void {
                           if (!errorTip || !target) {
                                return;
                           }
                           var x:Number;
                           var y:Number;

var screenWidth:Number = errorTip.screen.width;
                           var screenHeight:Number = errorTip.screen.height;
                           var upperLeft:Point = new Point(0, 0);
                           upperLeft = target.localToGlobal(upperLeft);
                           upperLeft = errorTip.root.globalToLocal(upperLeft);
                           var targetGlobalBounds:Rectangle = new Rectangle(upperLeft.x, upperLeft.y, target.width, target.height);
                           x = targetGlobalBounds.right + 4;
                           y = targetGlobalBounds.top - 1;
                           var above:Boolean = false;

// If there's no room to the right of the control, put it above or below, 
                           // with the left edge of the error tip aligned with the left edge of the target.
                           if (x + errorTip.width > screenWidth) {
                                var newWidth:Number = NaN;
                                var oldWidth:Number = NaN;
                                x = targetGlobalBounds.left - 2;

// If the error tip would be too wide for the stage, reduce the maximum width to fit onstage. 
                                // Note that we have to reassign the text in order to get the tip to relayout after changing 
                                // the border style and maxWidth.
                                if (x + errorTip.width + 4 > screenWidth) {
                                     newWidth = screenWidth - x - 4;
                                     oldWidth = errorTip.maxWidth;
                                     setMaxWidth(errorTip, newWidth);
                                     if (errorTip is IStyleClient) {
                                          IStyleClient(errorTip).setStyle("borderStyle", "errorTipAbove");
                                     }
                                     errorTip["text"] = errorTip["text"];
                                     setMaxWidth(errorTip, oldWidth);
                                } else {
                                     // Even if the error tip will fit onstage, we still need to change the border style 
                                     // and get the error tip to relayout.
                                          IStyleClient(errorTip).setStyle("borderStyle", "errorTipAbove");
                                     }
                                }

if (errorTip.height + 2 < targetGlobalBounds.top) {
                                     // There's room to put it above the control.
                                     above = true;    // wait for the errorTip to be sized before setting y
                                } else {
                                     // No room above, put it below the control.
                                     y = targetGlobalBounds.bottom + 2;
                                     setMaxWidth(errorTip, newWidth);
                                          IStyleClient(errorTip).setStyle("borderStyle", "errorTipBelow");
                                     }
                                     setMaxWidth(errorTip, oldWidth);
                                }
                           } else {
                                     IStyleClient(errorTip).clearStyle("borderStyle");
                                }
                           }

// Since the border style of the error tip may have changed, we have to force a remeasurement and change 
                           // its size. This is because objects in the toolTips layer don't undergo normal measurement and layout.
                           sizeErrorTip(errorTip);

// need to do this after the error tip has been sized since the height might have changed
                           if (above) {
                                y = targetGlobalBounds.top - (errorTip.height + 2);
                           }

errorTip.move(x, y);

// move this error tip on top of other error tips
                           if (bringInFront) {
                                bringToFront(errorTip);
                           }
                      }

private static function setMaxWidth(errorTip:IToolTip, width:Number):void {
                           if (!isNaN(width) && (errorTip is UIComponent)) {
                                (errorTip as UIComponent).maxWidth = width;
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Moves the given error tip in front of any other error tips.
                       */
                      public static function bringToFront(errorTip:IToolTip):void {
                           var parent:IChildList = (errorTip.parent as IChildList);
                           if (parent is SystemManager) {
                                parent = (parent as SystemManager).rawChildren;
                           }
                           var index:int = parent.getChildIndex(errorTip as DisplayObject);
                           var children:int = parent.numChildren;
                           if (index < (children - 1)) {
                                parent.setChildIndex(errorTip as DisplayObject, children - 1);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Copied from ToolTipManagerImpl.sizeTip()
                       * Objects added to the SystemManager's ToolTip layer don't get automatically measured or sized, 
                       * so ToolTipManager has to measure it and set its size.
                       */
                      private static function sizeErrorTip(errorTip:IToolTip):void {
                           // Force measure() to be called on the tooltip.  Otherwise, its measured size will be 0.
                           if (errorTip is IInvalidating) {
                                IInvalidating(errorTip).validateNow();
                           }
                           errorTip.setActualSize(errorTip.getExplicitOrMeasuredWidth(),
                                errorTip.getExplicitOrMeasuredHeight());
                      }

/**
                       * Creates the error tooltip if it doesn't already exist, and makes it visible.
                       */
                      public static function showErrorTip(target:Object, error:String = null):void {
                           var errorTip:IToolTip = createErrorTip(target, error);
                           if (errorTip) {
                                errorTip.visible = true;
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Hides the existing error tooltip for the target if one exists.
                       */ 
                      public static function hideErrorTip(target:Object, clearErrorString:Boolean = false):void {
                           if (errorTip) {
                                errorTip.visible = false;
                           }
                           // clear the errorString property to remove the red border around the target control
                           if (clearErrorString && target && target.hasOwnProperty("errorString")) {
                                target.errorString = "";
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Hides the error tooltip for the target AND removes it from the
                       * ToolTipManager (by calling ToolTipManager.destroyToolTip).
                       */
                      public static function removeErrorTip(target:Object, clearErrorString:Boolean = false):void {
                           if (errorTip) {
                                errorTip.visible = false;
                                ToolTipManager.destroyToolTip(errorTip);
                                delete errorTips[target];
                           }
                           // clear the errorString property to remove the red border around the target control
                           if (clearErrorString && target && target.hasOwnProperty("errorString")) {
                                target.errorString = "";
                           }
                      } 

/**
                       * Hides all the error tips.
                       */
                      public static function hideAllErrorTips():void {
                           for (var target:Object in errorTips) {
                                hideErrorTip(target, false);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Shows all the error tips - doesn't check to see if an error string is set!
                       */
                      public static function showAllErrorTips():void {
                           for (var target:Object in errorTips) {
                                showErrorTip(target);
                           }
                      }

/**
                       * Calls validate() on all the validators.
                       */
                      public static function validateAll():void {
                           // need to validator to figure out which error tips should be shown
                           for (var validator:Object in validators) {
                                validator.validate();
                           }
                      }

}
            }