8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2011 1:43 PM by funkbomb

View all layers in title creator?

funkbomb Level 1

When creating a title, only the other titles which are in layers below the one I'm working on show up in the preview window. Can I change it so I can see everything that's going on?

• 1. Re: View all layers in title creator?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you tell us exactly what you are doing to create your Titles?

Are you creating them as Layered PSD files in PS?

If so, then Import those in as Sequences, and you will have separate Layers to use on separate Video Tracks. If you Import as Footage, then the Layers are Flattened, and one will only see the top-most Layer. The others no longer exist.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: View all layers in title creator?
            funkbomb Level 1

No, I'm using the title creator in Premiere Pro. When editing a title that exists on a timeline already, only the text layers below that one show up in the preview window.

I place three titles on the timeline on top of a video layer. So that's four layers. I double-click the second title from the top to edit it and move the text around. The title editor comes up, with a preview window of the video and other text in the other layers. However the text from the layer above does not show up here. It makes placement very annoying because I can't see what's going on depending on what layer of text I'm editing.

I can't use PS because I need to see the video layer below when placing the text, the different layers have to be animated, and going between PS and Ppro is too time-consuming considering how many titles I have to do.

• 3. Re: View all layers in title creator?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thank you for the clarification.

In Titler, there is a checkbox for Show Video. That will show the Video on the Tracks below, and can be very handy for alignment, etc.

When you have stacked Titles, you will not have a clear view of your currnetly being edited Title. Uncheck Show Video, and you should have ONLY the Title in Titler, the editing program.

When you are working in Titler, you can ONLY see the currently being edited Title, and the Title (or Video) below it, with Show Video checked. You cannot see any Titles or Video on higher Tracks - sorry.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: View all layers in title creator?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you wish to see other Titles for alignment purposes, then perhaps this ARTICLE on Alignment Grids will be useful. It includes a few, but they are so easy to create and customize in PS, that I always produce them, just as I need.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: View all layers in title creator?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If neither of those suggestions gets you what you want, can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline with the Titles showing, and also the Titler open, and annotate that to show what you would like to see where?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: View all layers in title creator?