1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2011 2:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM

PeteGould Level 1

Windows 7 professional 64 bit

ASUS motherboard P7P55D-E PRO

Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 core 8 logical

8 Gigs Ram

Gtx 470

Raid system: CalDigit 8 TB

I'm a newcomer to Premiere - previously an Avid Symphony editor.  I've looked extensively through the board for this issue without spotting it; if I've missed it please don't beat me up too hard.  :-)

Our move to Premiere accompanies our purchase of a Panasonic AG-AF100 camera (prior to this we were standard definition only - the Symphony is a pre-HD model).

I'm working with test footage shot with this camera in advance of a paid project.  The footage is shot at 1080i, 29.97fps.  A compatible project is created in Premiere.  When played, the footage plays for just under six seconds and then skips BACKWARD several frames, then does the same thing after another six seconds, and so on as long as it plays.  The jump backward can be seen in the playback but it can also be seen on the time bar, which jumps backwards as well.  Doesn't matter if we're playing a sequence or a source clip; both jump the same way.  I've seen systems with playback problems skip FORWARD (i.e., drop frames) before but never seen one jump BACKWARD and repeat frames it has already played.

The problem does not appear to be recorded into the footage: start playback from 00:00:00:00 and the first jump is just before 00:00:06:00.  But start it playing at 00:00:02:00 and the first jump is just before 00:00:08:00.  So it's a matter of how long the clip has been playing; it's not jumping at fixed locations within the clip.  It seems like some kind of timebase problem with the system trying to adjust for a mismatch of some kind.  But since it plays the source clip with the same issue, not just the sequence (and I've forced matching sequences by dragging the clips to NewItem to force a matching sequence with no help), I'm blessed if I know what it is.

Been tearing my hair out for two days trying to track it down.  Anyone have an idea while I still have some left?  :-0

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pete

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

When you look at your Clip on the Timeline, is there a colored line above the Clip? If so, what is that color?

How did you set up your Sequence? In CS5, one can Import the Assets, and then drag one to the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel and let PrPro create a Sequence, that is a perfect match for that footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
            PeteGould Level 1

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for the welcome!

If I import the asset and drag it to the New Item button, the resulting sequence has a yellow line above the clip, and it jumps as I've described.  If I choose "Render Entire Work Area" from the Sequence menu, the line turns green after rendering, and it still jumps in the same way.

Best,

Pete

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

Well, that takes the Render out of the picture. That is exactly where I was headed.

Hm-m, back to the drawing board.

While others are weighing in, have you updated your video driver with the very latest from the mfgr's. Web site?

Do you have MPE Hardware, or Software enabled?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                PeteGould Level 1

Hi Bill,

"have you updated your video driver with the very latest from the mfgr's. Web site"

Yup - updated the driver this morning.  I was hoping that was it; it was several revisions old.  Unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Also tried some other things like going into msconfig and shutting off all services and background processes except the required Microsoft services and the flexnet licensing service required by Premiere. Sadly that didn't do it either.

I noticed somewhere that Adobe warns about other installed codec packages which (I'm guessing) would conflict with the Premiere codecs.  I did have an installed H.264 codec which I removed.  But that didn't change things either.  Probably just as well to remove it though.

"Do you have MPE Hardware, or Software enabled?"

I've tried both.  It performs the same either way.

Pete

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

How does the clip play outside of Premiere Pro?

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Pete,

Still thinking, but in the meantime, the CODEC warnings are aimed at CODEC "packs," and especially the ones that install FFDShow, or similar "stuff."

Now, with H.264, there are several popular suppliers.Some have had issues with Apple's (on a PC), but that has usually been for Export (and that has been relative to quality, or OOS issues), and not playing the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                      PeteGould Level 1

Hi Jim,

The clips play perfectly in Windows Media Player.

Pete

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                        PeteGould Level 1

Bill,

It's going to take me awhile to get up to speed on this new platform.  Thanks for all the helpful tips and background info.

Pete

• 9. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                          JAKE JONSON Level 1

Has anything that you've done been able to change how this issue happens?

Just a few ideas...

I suggest playing a variety of differently encoded video and seeing how/if that changes the 6 sec jump-back issue.  Would definitely like to know how it plays a Targa sequence (TGA) clip, for instance. 

Uninstall the Nvidia driver software completely and have it use the Microsoft default driver.  Then see how it plays clips. 

Switch out the video card with a spare.  Does it still skip back every 6 sec.?

Run some HDTune (and others) tests on the CalDigit RAID array. 

Hope that helps... Please keep the thread posted on your continuing progress.

- Jake

• 10. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                            shooternz Level 6

Hey Pete

I am shooting and editing AVCCAM footage from AF102 without issue.

WIN7 64 bit Pro, NVIDIA FX3800

I do not have a RAID system ( but multiple HDDs for OS/apps and thgen assets of course.

It was working very successfully up to last week with 12 GBs RAM and then I just up spec'd it to 24GBs .  Still works sweetly.

Memory option: I now specify 3/4 of available RAM to PPRO  (18GB of 24GB)  ..previously it was 8GB of 12GB

Maybe try a little more than 8GB  RAM is all I can suggest at the moment.

Others may be able to advise (and Link) on  BIOS, hyper threading, RAID, pagefile., etc...

What happens playing back at lesser resolutions?  (I use full and full BTW)

• 11. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Take your time, and I'm glad that others have found the thread and have some suggestions to try.

Right now, maybe you can sell the video this way. Call it the Hokey-Pokey Effect - you put your right foot in - you take your right foot out (after 6 sec.) - you put your right foot in... Trademark it as Pete's Hokey-Pokey Effect, and wait for the royalties to come rolling in.

Craig makes a good comment about the RAM, and that is something to consider. Win7 is a resource hog, and CS5 is no slouch.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                PeteGould Level 1

Hi Jake,

Has anything that you've done been able to change how this issue happens?

Not a thing.

I suggest playing a variety of differently encoded video and seeing how/if that changes the 6 sec jump-back issue.  Would definitely like to know how it plays a Targa sequence (TGA) clip, for instance.

It won't be before tomorrow night or Monday morning that I can try that.  I'm working off-premises now until 1AM Eastern, then back from 10AM-6PM tomorrow.  I'll be back where the system is around 7 or 8 tomorrow night to try some more experimenting.

Uninstall the Nvidia driver software completely and have it use the Microsoft default driver.  Then see how it plays clips.

Will do.

Switch out the video card with a spare.  Does it still skip back every 6 sec.?

Can't do that one - it's the only card I have for that platform.

Run some HDTune (and others) tests on the CalDigit RAID array.

The array's ruled out.  It does the same thing with other drives.

Hope that helps... Please keep the thread posted on your continuing progress.

Will do!

Pete

• 13. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                  PeteGould Level 1

Hi shooternz,

Maybe try a little more than 8GB  RAM is all I can suggest at the moment.

If we get to that as the definitive issue I'll have to.  Right now every penny is at a premium and more RAM is something I genuinely cannot afford at the moment (the 8GB is from four 2GB modules, so I should really replace all of them if I have to go that way).  It's definitely something on my to-do list but after a series of personal and business catastrophes I need to get some work in and PAID before I can add much else.

But from a diagnostic standpoint memory doesn't look like the issue with this failure.  The fact that it's at pretty much frame accurate intervals suggests something other than RAM (which typically produces more sporadic failures).  Also, when I run the Windows 7 resource monitor, neither RAM nor processors are anywhere near being maxed out.  I can do realtime effects between multiple layers of AVCHD without anymore hiccupping than a single layer; to my mind if it was a RAM issue that was affecting single-stream playback it would choke to death on multiple streams.

What happens playing back at lesser resolutions?  (I use full and full BTW)

I'll do some testing either when I get back to the office around 2AM or tomorrow evening (depending on whether I'm conscious when I get back tonight).

Pete

• 14. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                    Powered by Design Level 4

You could download the PPBM5 test and see how your system handles those files.

http://ppbm5.com/

Maybe some of the test footage will help you rule out the footage as a source of the problem.

See if you are still getting problems with it or not.

GLenn

• 15. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                      PeteGould Level 1

Hi Glenn,

You could download the PPBM5 test and see how your system handles those files.

I sent one of the camera files to my brother who runs CS5 on a different platform.  It played perfectly.

Then I loaded a standard definition MPEG2 file on MY system.  It hiccups just like the AVCHD file.  So clearly there's a problem with this installation.  It's two thirty in the morning here and I have to work all day tomorrow but I'm going to try a complete uninstall/reinstall when I get back tomorrow night.  Let's see if it's just a corrupt software installation.

Should have tried this test before starting the thread... mea culpa... I had assumed it was the AVCHD footage and you know what they say about ASSuming...

Pete

• 16. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                        shooternz Level 6

Pete.

Your system is "bottle necked" some where.

AVCCAM shoud not be difficult on your specs.

What else are you running? ( How many and what processes.

Post up your system info.  Some will spot the issue.

• 17. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, make sure you have the default Windows hard drive indexing set OFF for all drives and folders... Win indexing does NOT help with video editing

• 18. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                            Powered by Design Level 4

At least now it seems like your looking in the right direction.

If you do have to do a uninstall/reinstall make sure to run the ADOBE CS5 CLEANER TOOL.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs5clean.html

GLenn

• 19. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Pete,

To me, it sounds like something is sabotaging MPEG playback; I suspect something like FFDshow. Could you post a couple of screenshots of whatever is installed on your system by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features? If something like FFDshow is installed, it can be taking priority over the built-in decoders; removing it (which sometimes isn't possible due to the viral nature of FFDshow and other codec packs) may get you up and running smoothly. Ultimately, a reinstall from the OS on up is the only way to fully eliminate those troublemakers.

• 20. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                PeteGould Level 1

Hi Glenn,

Did a complete uninstall, downloaded and ran the CS5 cleaner tool, rebooted, then did a complete reinstall.

Sorry to say it made no difference.

Pete

• 21. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                  PeteGould Level 1

Hi Colin,

"Could you post a couple of screenshots of whatever is installed on your  system by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features?"

I'm happy to do that - I just need to know how.  According to the forum software, if I try to attach a .jpg to this message it will scale it to 450x600px, which is not nearly large enough.  Is there a way to post a larger image or attach a file (like a pdf or something)?

Pete

• 22. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Don't sweat the scaling thing; the forum just creates smaller versions that you can click that will blow up to full size in a floating pane.

• 23. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                      PeteGould Level 1

Colin,

OIC.  Okay, let's see if this works:

InstalledPrograms.jpg

• 24. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Real Player has always been bad news.  And I found this article on Veoh player:

Hummingbird Mentality » Blog Archive » Veoh is Malware

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the article, and even if it is accurate it's 5 years old.  Still, it's worth investigating.

I haven't installed MS Silverlight; is it possible that it made MS's H.264 decoder primary over Premiere's at the system level?  Maybe interfering with Premiere's playback?

All are guesses as to why AVCHD playback would be smurfed on your system.

• 25. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

A few things to try:

1. Disable your virus scanner, at least temporarily. If that fixes the issue, be sure to turn off any real-time scanning that may be enabled.
                                                          2. Unless you need it for something specific, uninstall all the nVidia stuff except for the GPU drivers. The other stuff is for gaming and other desktop use that doesn't benefit video editing.
                                                          3. Sounds weird, but try uninstalling ASUSUpdate. I helped someone else with a similar issue, and I recall that being a bit of an issue. For that matter, all the ASUS stuff--unless you have a specific need--is pretty much bloatware.

Try those, and see what happens. You might also post a snapshot of your currently running services/processes in Task Manager.

• 26. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                            PeteGould Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Removed RealPlayer, Veoh and Silverlight, all with no effect.

Additional investigation shows that it's not just AVCHD footage that's affected, it's ALL playback within Premiere, including standard definition footage.

Thanks for the thoughts - sooner or later SOMETHING'S got to be it...

Pete

• 27. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                              PeteGould Level 1

Hey Colin,

Disabled the virus scanner, removed NVIDIA applications leaving only the drivers and system software as well as ASUSUpdate.  Still have the same problem.

Below is the snapshot of currently running services (processes will be in the next message).

Pete

Services.jpg

• 28. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                PeteGould Level 1

Here are currently running processes:

Processes.jpg

• 29. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't read those, but I can see that it's waaaaaaaay too many.

• 30. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Alright, I'm just going to come out and say it: Pete, you've got a LOT of crap running in the background Don't take it personally...

I'm not sure if these snapshots were taken before or after you disabled/uninstalled the stuff I suggested, but I still see some potential problems:

1. This is my personal opinion, I guess, but anything that is a "notifier" or "updater" needs to be killed. That stuff just sits in memory ocassionally sucking up resources to do whatever its designed to do. While these may be useful (that's up for debate) when you're just using a regular desktop computer, your edit machine--particularly one that is cutting resource-hogging stuff like AVCHD--needs all that it can take. You can disable many of these in their host applications, or you can prevent a lot of them from running at startup by typing "msconfig" in the search bar on the Start menu and going to the Startup tab. Clear checkmarks next to everything that is non-critical for your editing work. I'll bet that many of these types of processes can be turned off using that method.
                                                                    2. You've got Search Indexer, the Windows Sidebar, and WMP Networking running--these are big resource pigs. I uninstall the Windows Sidebar by going to Program and Features and clicking the "Turn Windows features on or off" button. The Windows Gadget Platform is what you're looking for, and I'd definitely encourage you to disable it even if you like the stuff it gives you (if you're actually even using it). I turn off some other stuff there, too: windows-stuff.png
                                                                    3. The Search Indexer (Windows Search) and WMP Networking (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service) should be disabled in Services; type "services.msc" in the Start menu search bar and set those services to Disabled.
                                                                    4. I still see BitDefender services; I don't use it, so I don't know if those are related to real-time scanning or not. Something to look into, though.
                                                                    5. The "VProSvc.exe" process is Norton Ghost, it appears. I assume this means that it's taking a snapshot of your files all the time... just sayin'.
                                                                    6. GoToMyPC might be stealing some display resources.
                                                                    7. Do you have ATI card installed along with your nVidia card? Or a built-in AMD GPU? I see an ATI/AMD service running.
                                                                    8. The "SixEngine" process appears to be related to power management; something built into the motherboard by ASUS. This might sound crazy, but I would look at that first. Somewhat related: a buddy of mine had his new PC plugged into a UPS that was underpowered for the system. When he tried playing back H.264 MOVs, the UPS would squeal like it was dying, because the computer was sucking so much power trying to decode and playback the H.264 video. He didn't know it was the UPS for a couple days, and thought the computer was the problem; once he got a UPS that was up-to-snuff, the squealing was obviously gone. I know that's related to external stuff, but the bottom line is that you're asking a lot of your computer when you decode H.264 or even MPEG2, and if you have some power management software trying to ramp up and down voltages in an effort to be more "green," you're robbing the system of the steady supply of juice it needs. I'd look closely at this and anything else tied to the ASUS mobo; that stuff has gotta go

There are a lot of things to try, so work through them in any order you like. I suspect that if you were to wipe your system, install the bare minimum software and CS5, you'd have no problems--we're going to try to avoid that. Your experience certainly isn't typical of CS5, so that's why I think it is something localized to your system that is sitting in memory and sucking performance away from CS5.

• 31. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                                      There are a lot of things to try, so work through them in any order you like. I suspect that if you were to wipe your system, install the bare minimum software and CS5, you'd have no problems--we're going to try to avoid that.

I don't know if that is wise. Pete has so much crap on his system and has never heard the word tuning, that it may well be wiser and faster to start from scratch.

• 32. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                        PeteGould Level 1

Harm,

"Pete has so much crap on his system and has never heard the word tuning,  that it may well be wiser and faster to start from scratch."

I should perhaps properly qualify myself.  I have been working with computers since I built half a dozen of them from kits in the 1970s, and I have been a rather well-regarded video editor for some 30 years, transitioning from large production switchers and multipe one-inch and Betacam-SP decks to the Avid Media Composer in 1991 and the Symphony in 1998 shortly after its invention.  While I appreciate everyone's assistance I did find the crack above to be a little gratuitous.

I'm admittedly spoiled by working on large Avid systems, which come preconfigured and pre-tuned, and I have been working at a fast pace in such an environment for so many years that I have been unable to keep up with system internals in the way I could when I was seventeen (or doing computer consulting in my 20s).  The degree of programming sloppiness, bloatware and sheer CRAP that flows into these systems from every conceivable direction is overwhelming to me.  Apparently even the manufacturer of the motherboard cannot be counted on to install important software and instead adds (from what I'm hearing here) unnecessary crap of its own.

So - have I heard the word "tuning" before?  You betcha.  After 20 years of working with a proprietary platform can I tell the difference between what's needed and what's bloatware?  Nope.  And I'm happy to learn the difference.  But it'd be awful nice if it was done with a slightly less mocking tone than that.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

• 33. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Harm Millaard is the Simon Cowell of the Premiere Pro forums.  You may not always like his delivery, but he is usually right in what he says.

Starting from scratch may end up being the easier task than trying to salvage.

• 34. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                            PeteGould Level 1

Hi Colin,

"you've got a LOT of crap running in the background Don't take it personally..."

Nope, nothing personal - I can see it.  I just can't tell what belongs and what doesn't.  What's depressing is that this computer is only a few months old, so this is simply an indicator of what gets dumped on your system through the installation of what I would normally think of as critical software.  When given options about such things as google toolbars and the like I'm obviously smart enough to say "no," but most bloatware doesn't ask for an invitation.

I'll work through your suggestions before finally giving up, reformatting and reinstalling (though the trick is going to be how to avoid the same unwelcome crap coming back, since everything installed is stuff I need).

BTW, the Norton Ghost process doesn't snapshot anything; it's a scheduler waiting to see "2:00 AM" so it can do a full system backup.

The puzzling thing about all this, though, is the stopwatch regularity of the hiccups.  Machines starved for resources will typically have a random element to hiccups - and they're usually dropped frames where these are REPEATING frames.  These are spot-on at about five seconds and twenty frames apart and are absolutely consistent.  That seems more consistent with the system being confused somehow about its playback rate.  Many years ago I would see that sort of problem if a file had an intended framerate encoded into it and was being forced to play at a different rate; it would skip or repeat frames to make up the difference.  But that doesn't make sense in this context, so it really has me beat.

I just got off the phone after an hour and a half with Adobe tech support.  The (India-based) support rep tells me the case needs to be escalated and the process takes three to five business days.  I'm reeling over the idea that Adobe thinks we could just close our business down and tell clients to come back in three to five days.

Peter

• 35. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                              (though the trick is going to be how to avoid the same unwelcome crap coming back, since everything installed is stuff I need).

List out the stuff you think you need before you reinstall it.  Users here may be able to advise.

I'm reeling over the idea that Adobe thinks we could just close our business down and tell clients to come back in three to five days.

That's why it may be faster to rebuild.

• 36. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                                PeteGould Level 1

Hi Jim,

"List out the stuff you think you need before you reinstall it.  Users here may be able to advise."

In my present environment, sadly, I'm forced to use this machine for more than editing.  So it needs:

CS5 Production Premium

CalDigit RaidShield (drivers for hardware-based RAID)

Sound Forge Pro

Sorenson Squeeze

Adobe Acrobat Pro

Digital Juice "Juicer"

Sonicfire Pro

CinemaCraft Encoder SP3

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress

Cyberlink Power DVD 10

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional

Quickbooks

BitDefender Antivirus

Norton Ghost

Pete

• 37. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                                  Alex - DV411-hQoJQs

PeteGould wrote:

I'll work through your suggestions before finally giving up, reformatting and reinstalling (though the trick is going to be how to avoid the same unwelcome crap coming back, since everything installed is stuff I need).

What about having someone (with the right experience) remote into your system for an assessment and an initial clean-up with you watching and giving feedback?  An initial clean-up may fix the problem within half-hour; a more thorough one may take a few hours.  A problem such as app-specific slow-down (choppy playback in Premiere while no problem in WMP) is usually traced to app configuration settings and its plugins.  A basic OS and app clean-up with an eye on Task Manager and Resource Monitor (what's eating CPU and disk I/O cycles?) usually fixes these problems.

First things I'd do:

• create a new user ID, see if the problem recurs in it.  That takes care of user-specific registry poisoning.
                                                                                  • run msconfig.exe to do a selective startup, see if the problem recurs.

Cheers,

Alex.

• 38. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                                    PeteGould Level 1

Hi Alex,

"What about having someone (with the right experience) remote into your  system for an assessment and an initial clean-up with you watching and  giving feedback?"

I'm certainly fine with that - it's what I did with Adobe support earlier today.  We spent just under two hours on it before the Adobe rep decided it had to be escalated.  But I'd be happy to let someone else look at it before packing it in.

"First things I'd do:

• create a new user ID, see if the problem recurs in it.  That takes care of user-specific registry poisoning."

That was one of the things we tried.  The new user account had the same problems, unfortunately.

That was one of the things I did earlier.  Even with NO services running other than the minimum OS-required services it still did the same thing.

"(choppy playback in Premiere while no problem in WMP)"

Remember though that this is not CHOPPY playback in Premiere - at least then I'd feel like I was on somewhat familiar ground.  These occur at very precise intervals and skip back a precise number of frames.  To my mind that's very different from playback that randomly stutters, which is why I honestly don't think it's related to resource hogging by other processes.

Pete

• 39. Re: Premiere CS5 jumps back every 6 seconds playing AVCCAM
                                                                                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

That was one of the things I did earlier.  Even with NO services running other than the minimum OS-required services it still did the same thing.

I can see now why forum's heavyweights suggested a full reinstall.

The next thing I'd do is a trial clean install: swap the boot drive for something temporary - any old or new SATA drive should work - best if you could pick up a new or a "known good" decent 7200rpm HD (a 500GB can be had for under $50 these days) - install Win7 and CS5 on it, try the same thing.

If you are up for it, there will be a few (i.e. not many) guidelines in terms of Win7 installation.  Basically it's the bare minimum: no OS updates, not even CS5 updates; NVidia driver.  Then just pop that MPEG file in Pr, and see if it works.  This should take an hour or so on your system.  If it does work, install Win7 SP1; CS5 updates.  If it does not work (i.e. the same issue) - uh oh.  Hardware problem that for some reason affects Pr with no effect on WMP.  Strange - yet stranger things have happened.

If the clean install does work, the next step would be to set up the new Win7 installation as a dual boot with your existing one - and then you will have a clean working system.  Dual boot may be a PITA but worth it in your case since you have to run so many apps that aren't critical to editing.

1 2 Previous Next