13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2011 2:35 PM by nealeh

Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD

NurseER2002 Level 1

I've attempted to burn a project with a newly bought Premiere Elements 9 software.  It goes through rendering all three Disc Menus just fine. Then it crashes my entire computer(multiple times) when getting to approx 4-5% burning process.  This morning I've spent 4 hours uninstalling Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and Premiere Elements 9, rebooting, then re-installing everything.  Same thing happened.

I use to run Photoshop 7, and don't recall this happening.

Please help.  My school project is due on Monday, which includes burning it onto a DVD for a grade!

Thanks

Elizabeth

• 1. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
          nealeh Level 5

Instead of burning to disk, use "burn to folder". If that works then you can get your school project finished so that we have more time in hand to find out WHY it won't burn to disk.

1.png

Also download the free disk burning software ImgBurn that we'll use to actually burn the disk.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

If your computer is crashing, then it is very likely that you have a hardware problem, and that PrE is just setting up the conditions for those issues. Video editing and then Transcoding for a DVD, and finally Burning a DVD, are very intense operations, and will stress all computers. If there is a weakness anywhere, that/those weakness(es) will be revealed.

This ARTICLE will give you some things to look into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

Another thing that can bring PrE to its knees (and possibly the computer too), when authoring a DVD is a lack of HDD (Hard Disk Drive) space. When authoring a DVD, very large working files are created, and PrE needs a lot more room, than just the 4.7 GB for the size of the DVD.

How much defragmented, free space do you have on your computer?

It might be as simple as just cleaning up your HDD, and then trying again.

For heat, bad RAM, bad MoBo, etc., the fix will not be nearly so easy.

Good luck, and good luck with your shcool project,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start reading here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679
                Some specific information that is needed...
                Brand/Model Computer (or Brand/Model Motherboard if self-built)
                How much system memory you have installed, such as 2Gig or ???
                Operating System version, such as Win7 64bit Pro... or whatevevr
                -including your security settings, such as are YOU the Administrator
                -and have you tried to RIGHT click the program Icon and then select
                -the Run as Administrator option (for Windows, not sure about Mac)
                Your Firewall settings and brand of anti-virus are you running
                Brand/Model graphics card, sush as ATI "xxxx" or nVidia "xxxx"
                -or the brand/model graphics chip if on the motherboard
                -and the exact driver version for the above graphics card/chip
                -and how much video memory you have on your graphics card
                Brand/Model sound card, or sound "chip" name on Motherboard
                -and the exact driver version for the above sound card/chip
                Size(s) and configuration of your hard drive(s)... example below
                -and how much FREE space is available on each drive (in Windows
                -you RIGHT click the drive letter while using Windows Explorer
                -and then select the Properties option to see used/free space)
                While in Properties, be sure you have drive indexing set OFF
                -for the drive, and for all directories, to improve performance
                My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write
                Some/Much of the above are available by going to the Windows
                Control Panel and then the Hardware option (Win7 option name)
                OR Control Panel--System--Hardware Tab--Device Manager for WinXP
                Plus Video-Specific Information http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0
                And, finally, the EXACT type and size of file that is causing you problems
                -for pictures, that includes the camera used and the pixel dimensions
                Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
                What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0
                What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0
                For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
                For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/
                • 5. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                  NurseER2002 Level 1

Hi Neale

I took your advice, and put the 3minute 27second project into a folder on my D drive which has 250Gigs.  PRE got through rendering the 3 menus, and then on the burn to folder status, it got to 8% approx, and crashed. 

I also downloaded Imgburn for the future burn of this school project.

I'm ready for the next tip.

Thank you

Elizabeth

• 6. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                    nealeh Level 5
                    • You might be running out of disk space. How much free, defragmented, space do you have on your C: drive (where PRE usually puts its working files)?
                    • You may have a gap between clips - this also gives PRE problems. Zoom in to your timeline then skip from clip to clip using the PageUp PageDown keys looking for an empty gap.

There is also this list of basic tune-up tips, but I was hoping that the burn to folder solution would work so that you met your Monday deadline.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                      NurseER2002 Level 1

Here's last night update:

I checked the C Drive for space and defragment.  It did not need to be defragmented, b/c it's on a weekly schedule.  I analyzed the disc this morning, and it's at 0%.  I have 100Gigs on my C Drive and 350Gigs on my D drive.  Here are my other specs on my computer:

Samsund Intel Core i3 CPU (only 8 months old...bought new)

2.27GHz

Ram 4.0GB

64 bit  Windows 7 Premium

Norton virus software ( I can not figure how to turn it off for the project to run)

When I started the 3 minute 27 second project to burn into a folder last night, I had over 9 gigs available on my C drive.  I put the project to burn into my D drive which has 300 gigs available.  It got through rendering all 3 menus, and then went to the burn phase. It got to approximately 8% and crashed my computer.

I really thought putting into a Drive with tons of space would work via a folder.

Now I'm pressed for time.  This is my daughters school project which is for a grade...due tomorrow.  This music project is only 3 minutes 27 seconds.

Does anyone want to attempt to burn this project to see if they get the same error?

Thanks

Elizabeth

• 8. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Elizabeth,

I had over 9 gigs available on my C drive.

If not THE cause of issues, it will be at least ONE of the causes. PrE creates large working files, and needs a lot of HDD space. Much of that space will obviously be where one locates the Scratch Disks, but the C:\ needs room too. The recommendation is 20 - 30GB of defragmented free space, and I recommend 50 - 60GB. Besides PrE's working files, the OS will need room for the Page File, especially if it is dynamically managed. This space needs to be contiguous, and hence totally defragmented. That is one reason that I recommend a statically managed Page File, and set up to between 1.5x to 3x the amount of physical RAM. With Win7 - 64-bit, and 12 - 24GB of RAM, this can be sized down to between 1x to 1.5x the physical RAM.

My first operation would be to free up as much space on C:\, as is possible. This will have multiple positive effects. First, as a HDD nears capacity, its performance slows down. This starts at about 70%, and the slowdown accelerates, as capacity is reached. The mechanical wear and tear increases greatly, as the heads have to move farther and farther to read/write data. When capacity has been reached, a HDD can experience total, catastrophic failure - never a good thing, as all data will likely be lost.

An external HDD is very useful for archiving material from the C:\, to free up much-needed space.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You might also want to take a look at this ARTICLE on the I/O sub-system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                            nealeh Level 5

As Bill says 9GB is nowhere adequate. I once had a project that bombed with 60GB free disk. I cleared another 100GB and all was well. Assuming that your system is stable then you can get a quick space gain in Disk Cleanup by first going to "Clean up system files", and then the  "More Options tab" and selecting to clean up "System Restore and Shadow Copies".

2.png

1.png

For finding out what is eating so much of that 100GB C: Drive use the fantastic, free, utility SpaceSniffer, find lost disk space the easy way.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                              NurseER2002 Level 1

Hi

I've enclosed the specs that you all wanted.  I also did the disk clean up, but there was only 4mb which made no difference at all.  I still did it though.  I attempted to run spacesniffer, but it kept "hanging" and saying, "not responding"  . Therefore I had a program installed called, Foldersize.  I included a picture of that too.

I got really lost on one of the help files on this forum, b/c I"m not a computer engineer, and do not know a lot of the lingo.  I'm an excellent nurse and know a lot of medical lingo, but I would not expect a non-medical person to understand what I would tell them to do.  Does this make sense?  Yes, I've read the following:

If you need help quickly... Guideline for posting an effective question. but as far as the other links that John T Smith posted for me to go to, I was a bit lost on the lingo that he included in his post.

If you need me to do more homework, I'm definitely compliant...but I'm not very computer savy.  With that in mind, I'm very greatful for all of your time and help.

Elizabeth

ScreenHunter_04 Mar. 06 15.25.jpg

ScreenHunter_03 Mar. 06 15.25.jpgScreenHunter_01 Mar. 06 15.19.jpg

ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 06 15.20.jpg

• 12. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                                NurseER2002 Level 1

I was able to use spacesniffer and got the same results with foldersize.  I'm don't understand the "log" that is posted with it.  Maybe you guys can.

Again, thank you!

Elizabeth

ScreenHunter_05 Mar. 06 15.53.jpgScreenHunter_06 Mar. 06 15.53.jpg

• 13. Re: Elements 9 Crashes when burning onto DVD
                                  nealeh Level 5

The log is a list of access rights failures. I should have told you to right-click the SpaceSniffer shortcut and select "run as administrator" when you want to run the analysis.

I don't think that your disk cleanup could have worked - if it had then your Recycle Bin would be empty. And if you selected to clear the restore points I would expect it to have cleared at least several hundred megabytes if not several gigabytes.

Some immediate thoughts:

• Empty the recycle bin (there's a couple of GB)
                                  • Tedious, but if you were to temporoarily move photos, music and downloads to your D: drive that gives you around another 9GB. You could also move any of the videos not used in your project to the D: drive as well.
                                  • In SpaceSniffer double-click on the Documents Folder - you might find stuff in that 21.2GB that you no longer need or could temporarily move.

[PS] It's getting late this side of the atlantic - so I wish you luck and hope that one of the suggestions lets you finish in time for your deadline.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale