9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 3:56 AM by roadrock

Audio Ducking

drduckmakr

I have a commentary where I want the video's audio to be at normal volume, but want it to lower when i start to talk, and then rise back to normal when I stop talking. How can I accomplish this in PPro CS5?

• 1. Re: Audio Ducking
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple of very similar ways, and they are both outlined in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio Ducking
            drduckmakr Level 1

Thanks for the answer! Great article, too!

Is there any way to automate it instead of having to manually keyframe it though? That would make my life a heck of a lot easier.

-RJ

• 3. Re: Audio Ducking
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think there's any automatic method for this.

• 4. Re: Audio Ducking
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, there is a way to apply "automation," with the Audio Mixer. One one hand (no pun intended), you will need to ride the pot (slider) on the Audio Mixer, during playback with the Send set to Write, or Touch. That will automatically apply Track Keyframes. You might want to adjust the frequency of these in Edit>Preferences first. Personally, I find the default frequency to be a bit too often. Then, after these are set, you can observe the slider(s) working, per those Keyframes. Remember, those are Track Keyframes, so read that part of the article, so that you fully understand the differences between those, and the Clip Keyframes. They each can do the same thing - attenuate the Volume, but there ARE differences.

That is the only "automation" and it requires manual input. Note: besides Volume, you can Pan your Audio, and if in 5.1, can dynamically locate the source around the stage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio Ducking
                  AngLorenzo

There are some additional audio plugins and programs that use ducking by feeding a control source (like the narration) to control the gain of the ducking compressor... I'm not a fan of this because gaps in narration can pick the bg music back up, or you end up using a long hold time which can feel funny before the music come bands in after narration. It's common in radio, but only during songs/audio beds that will be faded out completely by the control room.

• 6. Re: Audio Ducking
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, AutoDuck can do this, IIRC, but I do not know of a VST that might provide such control in PrPro. Not sure about in Multi-track for either Soundbooth, or Audition. I would guess that there might be something for Audition 3, but have not really gone looking for it.

Good luck, and if you DO find some useful VST's, please update the thread, as I can always learn something new.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Audio Ducking
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can automate audio ducking in After Effects. See the technique by Nathan Gambles linked to from this page.

• 8. Re: Audio Ducking
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

Great to know and thank you for that.

Hunt

BTW - Is this an example of "Auto Duck?"

• 9. Re: Audio Ducking
                          roadrock

I too have been looking high and low for a 64bit VST plug-in to do the equivalent audio ducking that I've been able to do with earlier versions of Premiere Pro CS(x) and Sidekick (by TwistedLemon - twsitedlemon.nl) but so far to no avail (I've even tried wrapping this 32bit plugin to 64bit using jBridge, but it doesn't fully work). I've also used a free VST plugin called Sidechain Gate in the past but this only works up to PP 1.5 (which some of us still use here because it's stable and does the job we need it to, unlike the newer CS incarnations!)

I have emailed the author of this great plugin to beg him for a 64bit port but I haven't heard back from him, but if he does then this will cure all automated audio ducking ills in PPCS5 without the need to use keyframes etc.

If I discover any other options in the meantime I will let you know!

Dave