9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 12:33 AM by Crist OC/PC

Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5

joewilde Level 1

Just about to send the order through for my new comp so just need a yes or no from the forum experts as to if this config will work. I went with 4x Samsung f3 disks so I can raid them at a later stage when I get a controller.

The build is as follows:

- Intel Core i7 950 or 960
      - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
      - 12GB RAM 1333 triple channel RAM(3x4 sticks)
      - MSI GeForce N470GTX 1280MB  (or another GTX 470)
      - Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB (x 4 disks)
      - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
      - DVD writer/reader
      - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional OEM
      Would be interested in thoughts on how this could be improved (am on a tightish budget but can extend a few more dollars)
      Thanks in advance
      Joe
        • 1. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can walk into a Microcenter store you can pick up the i7-950 for $200 plus your local tax.  Main components looks good to me.  Check out the price on a GTX 560, I think it is about the same or better than the GTX 470.

• 2. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
            Powered by Design Level 4

if your going to do any HD then maybe get a Blu-ray burner.

Glenn

• 3. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
              Crist OC/PC Level 2

1- I7950, NO 960. But if you have the money i7970

2- 12gb ram 1600 mhz 3x4

3- With a Gigabyte M.B. Buy a gigabyte GPU, I did try gtx470 and gtx460 superoverclock and the gtx 460 was the same performance and more sheep.

4- Absolutly buy a bluray rw.

5-Buy a cases with good fan system like the cooler master cases

6-Save some money for a CPU cooler so in case you have the i7 950 you can easyle make your pc drive @ 4 Ghz. very easy and secure.

If you neeed any extra info just let me know.

• 4. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
                joewilde Level 1

Intel i7 960 3.20Ghz (replaced the 950)

Gigabyte GA-X58A UD3R

12GB (3 x 4GB)  DDR3-1333 Tri Channel Memory  -  Change to 12GB (3 x 4GB)  DDR3-1600 Tri Channel Memory

4 X Samsung Spinpoint F3 103SJ 1TB

Cooler Master Elite 335 ATX Case

Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold

eVGA GTX560Ti 1GB GDDR5  -  replacement for the GTX470

Liteon 24X Dual Layer DVD Writer  -  Change to BR-RW

MS Windows 7 Professional

Ok, so have updated it now and have some more questions.

- If I want to upgrade RAM in the future will I be able to have 24GB of DDR3-1600 RAM?

- Will the GTX560Ti 1GB work with MPE or am I better to stick with 470,460 or 480?

- The cooler Master 335 comes with two 120mm fans, is this enough or should I have a case with more/bigger fans????

- Is the power supply unit big enough for this build?

- The motherboard supports RAID 5, could I have 1 drive as my OS/Programs and do a 4 drive RAID 5 or do I need more drives? Is it a good idea to use onboard RAID?

Thankyou all for your help.

Joe

• 5. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

"- If I want to upgrade RAM in the future will I be able to have 24GB of DDR3-1600 RAM?"

YES  but propably they will ron aprox @1400, and they must be exactly the same kit.

"- Will the GTX560Ti 1GB work with MPE or am I better to stick with 470,460 or 480?"

Will work but not better that a 470.

"- The cooler Master 335 comes with two 120mm fans, is this enough or should I have a case with more/bigger fans????"

NO. At least this http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6606

"- Is the power supply unit big enough for this build?"

I will get 1000W puttin in account you will upgrate in the future, 24g. and HD, etc...

"The motherboard supports RAID 5, could I have 1 drive as my OS/Programs and do a 4 drive RAID 5 or do I need more drives? Is it a good idea to use onboard RAID?"

Yes that MB support RAID: 0,1,3,5,10

Its a good idea but I will do this: 1hd O.S., 3HD RAID0 and 1HD BACKUP.

B.R.

Cristobal.

• 6. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
                    Jay Knobbe Level 1

And then you'll need a 1000w or greater UPS to plug that power supply into.

• 7. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Crist OC/PC wrote:

"- If I want to upgrade RAM in the future will I be able to have 24GB of DDR3-1600 RAM?"

YES  but propably they will ron aprox @1400, and they must be exactly the same kit.

"- Will the GTX560Ti 1GB work with MPE or am I better to stick with 470,460 or 480?"

Will work but not better that a 470.

Cristobal.

In my case I have had no speed problems with my G-Skill going from 12 to 24 on two different sets of RAM

I think the 560Ti even though it has a few less cores and slightly less memory will work as well and will be quiter than the 470 because it uses less power.

• 8. Re: Just need a yay or nay on my final build for Production Prem CS5