13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 4:21 PM by Todd_Kopriva

About a Special Effects Request Thread

ThunderWulf Level 1

Do we have any threads for requests on special effects? If not, I believe that would be a great idea.

Some of you may disagree but that's your perception.

It will allow Novices like me to get the feel of things are done when adding our effects.

What do you all think?

• 1. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't see the point, honestly. It cannot be the point of any forum to stockpile information on specific techniques. That's what tutorials are for and certainly, from Andrew Kramer to YouTube you can find a year's worth of that to while away your time. And even that carries with it the danger of people watching them only with half an eye and ear, as evidenced by the sometimes rather embarassing questions of people who claim to have watched those tutorials. I know this sounds harsh, but IMO it's just as bad as people never looking into the help and I'd hate to see this forum flooded with the same basic questions 20 times a day. If I may say so: The problem is not that you need to understand how to create a specific effect, you need to know how to use your tools. Knowing AE as best is you can is a prerequisite to creating good FX and motion graphics, not the other way around...  Really don't see what describing specific steps and techniques would do in that regard. if you have specific problems, just ask them right away, but do not expect to learn all the secrets.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
            ThunderWulf Level 1

@Mylenium: Becareful how you mentioned about us folks saying we claimed that we watched those tutorials when we didn't, again you do not know what we have done.

Don't ever tell me or us that our questions are embarrassing to us. To you the question may be emarrassing.

This goes to any of you who read this.

When we say we have done something means we have done something.

I wasn't talking for myself, I was talking on behalf of other newcomers. You are all going to have to stop assuming that you know what's going on even

when you are reading our posts.

If this is going to be the case, can you tell me what time of day three days ago I went to the supermarket?

Can you tell me when was the last time me and my fiancee made love?

Can you tell me when the last timeI had a haircut?

• 3. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm sure those newcomers can speak for themselves, if and when the time comes...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                ThunderWulf Level 1

Well on their behalf you can me out of this equation.

I will finish up After Effects training when I get the chance.

I am busy right now.

• 5. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure I understand the request.  There are. of course, frequent requests on this forum for explanations of how to achieve a specific effect.  Each of these are. logically, their own thread.

If you were suggesting a specific thread that lists resources and/or tutorials, that already exists here.  Please feel free to contribute any resources you feel will assist other users.

• 6. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                    bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

ThunderWulf wrote:

Do we have any threads for requests on special effects? If not, I believe that would be a great idea.

Some of you may disagree but that's your perception.

It will allow Novices like me to get the feel of things are done when adding our effects.

What do you all think?

This is not a good idea.

My objection to your idea is not based on my "perception" in the slightest. It is my opinion and i have arrived at my opinion as a result of using After Effects for many years and participating on this forum for many years. You have erred by assigning your preconceived value to my reaction. This action of your implies you could not handle my suggestions or critique well at all.

Learning After Effects is entirely up to you. We're here to help you, not to teach you, and I'm certainly not here to create your assignments for you. Those are services for which I get paid. And I get paid well.

bogiesan

• 7. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

ThunderWulf wrote:

I will finish up After Effects training when I get the chance.

I am busy right now.

...and there's the problem right there. 

You think learning AE ought to be easy, as if you could suck the learning up a straw or something, and that you should be able to finish the odious task in a few days.  You are sadly misinformed.  This is After Effects, not Microsoft Word.

I've been using AE since version 3 -- I'm not talking about AE CS3, aka AE version 8, but the actual version number 3 -- and in no way do I consider myself fully trained in the software.  There's always some new twist and technique.

If you seek to learn AE via the Vulcan Mind Meld, you had better 1) find Spock and 2) make him learn it for you. 

Or you could do it the way many of us have: learning the basics, running tutorials, painting ourselves into a corner with paying work as we figure a way out, then learning some more.

• 8. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                        ThunderWulf Level 1

There you all go again. You are misconcieving what just said. Perception is perception that is all there is too it. I wrote and I am pretty clear about what I ask.

Again LaRhonde, No. I am busy and that's it I am busy. I have a son and a fiancee, which means is I can't finish up.

I just got recently sidetracked having to put my 4 year old son into school which is a pain in the rear.

In my community it is a task to put him into school due to the way the Governor runs Louisiana.

Also, again and I don't really care how many years of experience you have or anyone for that matter. Good for you.

Then you said. "there you go right there "referring to me not finishing up as to repoint out that you are correct about your judgement.

Again you are not a psychic. You don't know what I am doing every minute of the day. Also, for the record, I am still doing the tutorials. Just right now other stuff came up.

Secondly, I am new here and I don't like the hospitality that is going on. If any of you are professional as you claim to be, you should be helping me out in a  professional manner.

Mylenium and Andrew Yoole cleared a little bit about helping me and we dropped it.

Let me put this in very lamen terms for you all to understand. I made a request idea for the rest of the community, "not me."

The next time you all see my screen name while I make a request, or a request that is similar to my other posts and you all have the craving to make a judgment reply to my posts. Don't reply to my posts. If you all are going to be helpful next time please be helpful but do so without judging my posts I make, otherwise I DON'T want to hear it!

• 9. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                          MichaelScarn Level 1

@ThunderWulf: In your first post, would you be able to give an example and/or describe in more detail the proposal you are making?

I just feel some people may be misunderstanding your question as I am. Are you asking that there be a sub-forum for all special effects inquiries in general? Or how to create your own special effects? Or how specific effects are implemented by professionals?

• 10. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                            ThunderWulf Level 1

MichaelScarn"@ThunderWulf: In your first post, would you be able to give an example and/or describe in more detail the proposal you are making?

I just feel some people may be misunderstanding your question as I am. Are you asking that there be a sub-forum for all special effects inquiries in general?

Or how to create your own special effects? Or how specific effects are implemented by professionals?"

Thank you Michael! There are alot of people out there in the world who do not really want to take the time because it's a pain in the butt to create their own stuff.

I myself love doing things from scratch. Some people here don't seem to comprehend or don't want to comprehend what I am asking for.

So on the behalf of other "newcomers" here in the Community who don't wish to create their own special effects. I was wanting to know if someone is willing to take their time to make those Special Effects, have a Preset Thread for them to download, and a Request section for them to post. It be nice for them to download the Presets. They can still learn the tools from the tutorials.

For everyone else who is wishing to respond to my post and make negative tones go back and read over my previous posts I made above.

Remember, I don't want to hear it! Also, for everyone else if you can't or don't want to understand what I have now posted don't bother responding cuz it isn't going to get us anywhere!

Thank you Michael and I await your reply.

• 11. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                              MichaelScarn Level 1

@ThunderWulf: Sorry if I fall under the group "that can't understand what I posted earlier", but I'm trying to understand as other are too. Your saying, "I myself love doing things from scratch" is very helpful. Some people like to buy a video game and play. I, on the other hand, am one of those that feels they could do something better than what has already been done. Sometimes the effects in AE or plugins don't allow for the versatility that I may need, and feel maybe I could do better. Maybe I'm correct in saying that you are looking to take on AE in more than just its use as a tool, but its ability to be manipulated and construed to your liking? Are you saying that you want to be more trained in the aspect of effect/plugin creation?

Again, I think it would be helpful if you did a mock post or example of what you are reaching for in this proposal. Maybe an example sub-forum sticky FAQs post on the proper sub-forum use, an example post within that sub-forum that a typical user would make, and anything that would materialize your ideas on a "Preset Thread", a "Request Section" and a "Preset" example.

Lets take any animosity that has already been harnessed, by anyone, and forget it. Lay out all the questions, and get them answered until we fully understand what ideas are locked in your head, until we see what it is you are seeing. After that, I could care less who has a problem with what, at least it won't be completely misguided as it has already, on both sides of the arguement. Questions and answers first though!

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                                ThunderWulf Level 1

@Michael: Thank you! You have helped me. You are not in the wrong audience. You did a great job!

Perhaps you're right about me posting in the proper place.

Anyway, it's okay that if it is not a good idea. But, maybe one day someone might start a legendary forum to start doing presets for Adobe Corp.

In the meantime, I am going to do my duties with my family and I will find the free time to finish my studies on the tutorials sometime maybe next week or in a month.

Thank you again.

• 13. Re: About a Special Effects Request Thread
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're looking for a place to get and post animation presets, plug-ins, template projects, and such, then check out the Adobe After Effects Exchange. There's a link to it from the animation presets overview in After Effects Help.

1 person found this helpful