2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 10:34 AM by Dave LaRonde

Output Format Question

-Gustov-

When rendering my video, i would like to save it as H.264 also known as .mp4. This option however is not showing up for some reason. Avi doesnt show up either, instead it says Video for Windows or something like that for AVI. Can you please help me find this option or download it somewhere. Im runnning AAE CS4.

,Thanks

• 1. Re: Output Format Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

When rendering my video, i would like to save it as H.264 also known as .mp4. This option however is not showing up for some reason.

Read this! If this doesn't apply, then we need more info about what CoDecs, alrternate media players etc. you have on the system to figure this one out.

Video for Windows or something like that for AVI

That is correct.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Output Format Question
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

-Gustov- wrote:

When rendering my video, i would like to save it as H.264 also known as .mp4. This option however is not showing up for some reason.

Mylenium thinks you don't have the codecs installed, and I agree, but actually, I don't think it's too much of a tragedy.  Here's my reason why, which I've posted many times on the Creative COW:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc.  AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.