7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 8:51 AM by jrrrr RSS

Adobe Reader is opening word?

jrrrr Community Member

Hi,  I tried opening a pdf file ( in adobe reader) as a word file earlier. the reason for this is that i wanted to password protect a file (and adobe reader doesn't seem to be able to password protect pdf files). the file would not open in word...but thats not the problem

Now, adobe reader is opening word (which is useless) when I try to open a pdf file, and I can't seem to figure out how to correct this.

Thanks for any help on this.

JRrr

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?
          Claudio González CommunityMVP

Wthout more information, it looks like a files association problem. How to correct this depends on your OS, but basically you right click on a pdf icon, choose Open with or similar, choose Reader, and click on change all or similar.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?
            sylviaky Community Member

Since I downloaded Adobe Reader 10 today, it only opens in word, with unreadable text. I tried right-clicking w/o success. My previous version worked fine. What can I do so it doesn't try to open in Windows?

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?
              Claudio González CommunityMVP

Sorry, but it seems I'm not following you. Are you saying

that when you try to open Acrobat Reader, Word attempts to open the program?

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?

yes, that's exactly what happens. My previous Adobe 7 worked fine. This

started w/the upgrade to "10". I uninstalled the "10" and installed the 8.2

Adobe, the oldest available, but the same thing happens.

2011/3/7 Claudio González <forums@adobe.com>

Sorry, but it seems I'm not following you. Are you saying

that when you try to open Acrobat Reader, Word attempts to open the

program?

>

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?
                  jrrrr Community Member

Sylviaky has the exact same problem that I have. When Adobe Reader X is used to open a pdf document, for some reason it is actually opening microsoft word first..then word tries to open the document which appears in gibberish characters. I even uninstalled adobe reader X and reinstalled it. Same issue. Help!

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?

I figured out how to fix the problem in Windows XP of Adobe X trying to open

PDF files with Microsoft Word. Try this:

Try to download any PDF file

Close Microsoft Word, which it will try to use to open the PDF

Left click on "Start" (bottom left of main screen)

Left click "My Documents"

RIGHT click on any PDF file you see stored there

Left click "Properties" (at the bottom of the drop-down screen)

Under the "General" tab, click the "opens with" drop down arrow

I found that my default to open PDF files was Microsoft Word; I changed thje

default to "Adobe Reader", clicked "ok" (save) and voila....my PDF files now

open in Adobe!

Hope this works for you, also.

Sylvia

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader is opening word?
                      jrrrr Community Member

Hey thanks Sylvia! That seems to have fixed things!!