10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 1:47 PM by sfxjhw2

Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)

sfxjhw2 Level 1

I get the following error when I try to run a Clearscan OCR over my PDF:

"Acrobat could not perform recognition (OCR) because:

Unable to process the page because the Paper Capture recognition service experienced an error. (6)"

The problem seems like it might be resolved with a PDF made from 300dpi scans, but I do not like the quality loss so I would rather run this on the 600dpi scans. I wish I could get more information on this "error" that the Paper Capture recognition service experienced. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
          Bill@VT Level 7

Are you running the OCR from within Acrobat, or using the Adobe OCR Paper Capture service? I have not seen the message you are getting, but if it is from the online service you may have to ask in the related forum.

• 2. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
            sfxjhw2 Level 1

This is from within Acrobat.  I can take a screenshot of the error if you'd like but it's exactly as I typed it.

• 3. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
              Bill@VT Level 7

What OS and version of Acrobat. Like AA9.2.4.

• 4. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                sfxjhw2 Level 1

This is happening with 10.0.1 but I had the same thing happen with 9.4.0

• 5. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                  keith.frank

I am having the exact same issue I am clearscanning at 600dpi approximately 45,000 tiffs on an 8 core dell sever with 32 gb of ram running windows 7.

I am getting relatively few errors but the ones I am getting are the same "Unable to process the page because the Paper Capture recognition service experienced an error(6) ".

Has any found the cause of this error???

Any help would be appreciated.

I am running Acrobat X Pro version 10.1.0

• 6. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                    jallisy Level 2

Just a guess, but how's your virtual memory configured. Maybe increase your

virtual memory or let the system manage it.

• 7. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                      Bill@VT Level 7

This could be an issue of the size and available space in the TEMP folder. 45,000 is a lot of files to process. I would suggest you process the files in smaller groups.

• 8. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                        sfxjhw2 Level 1

I am still having this problm after upgrading to 10.1.  I can't believe I'm the only one and it appears that if you search for this error it is common enough that it appears on several different forums.  My computer is a beast: 16gig ram/120ssd/i7.  I don't see how this could be memory related.  It seems like it might be dependent on the quality of the scan.  It's fine if clearscan can't identify the scan, but Adobe really needs a better error message and error handling.  So let me get this straight: when clearscan is able to identify the first 300 pages and then throws this error, you the entire clearscan project is null and void and you have to start over, this is just insane. 

If anyone knows a clearscan alternative, please let me know.

• 9. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                          Tatanium Level 1

I'm getting the same error:

• Win7 Ult x64
                          • 8gb RAM
                          • 3ghz Quad Core
                          • 160gb FREE space on C:\ drive
                          • Acrobat X
                          • 924 page PDF doc
                          • 10. Re: Clearscan OCR ERROR: Paper Capture recognition service experienced and error (6)
                            sfxjhw2 Level 1

Ok I think I might have a workaround *IF* this error is only thrown on a few offending pages.  If you have only one page, OR if it is essential that all pages then this will probably not be a workaround for you.

*FYI* this workaround also applies to the stupid "Unknown Error" that occurs in non-Clearscanned OCR.   ("Unknown Error" -- Ha, this is the type of error handling I use when I don't care about anyone using my programs, sounds like Adobe feels the same way).

Since Acrobat spits out such a stupid error, and since it doesn't work in any other scan mode (non-clearscan in any DPI) for these pages, and since there is no log file to look at for the 'paper capture recognition service' to even diagnose the problem, and since they seem completely ok with their absoutely horrible error handling here and since Adobe seems incapable of fixing this error for the last few versions and since they don't care enough to offer any help in their KB regarding an issue affecting hundreds (maybe a few thousand) of users here is a POSSIBLE workaround to clearscan your document if you get this error:

(The following instructions are for Acrobat X (you might have to click 'show and hide pannels' at the top-right of the TOOLS BOX if some of these options are not available; 9 has the same bug and workaround but where you find things are different of course)

1) Scan your pages OR save your pdf as INDIVIDUAL PAGES (there must be a way to export your pdf into individual pages, you might need to use the batch manager (tools->action wizard on Acrobat X))

2)  Tools->Action Wizard->Save individual files as pdf: If you don't have individual pdf pages (you have jpegs or tiff) then convert them to PDF FIRST (yes that's right, despite the seemingly obvious thought that a batch Clearscan would actually *gasp* batch Clearscan your files, it won't, it will only convert them to PDFs

3)  Tools->Recognize Text->In Multiple Files:  Now select to clearscan all your individual files

4) You will get an error on offending pages where Clearscan would normally give you an 'error 6' BUT this method will get around the moronic error-THEN-exit design of Clearscan and allow you to actually Clearscan most of your document

5) Create->Combine Files into Single PDF:  Once all pages have been Clearscanned you can reassemble the individual pages to the full document

If you needed that particular page to be clearscanned, this method will not work for you.  If you just want 99% of your document to be clearscanned, then hopefully this will help.

We have to admit that Clearscan is a one-of-a-kind technology.  The OCR scientists should be given a raise for this.  The software engineers and support staff, on the other hand, should go back to the community college they flunked out of and learn a bit more about programming.