2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 9:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Text title in vietnamese

Treul

I'm using PE8 with vietnamese type font VPSKEYS4.3, I'm unable to use this program with PE8, during any character above the letter PE8 does not recognize the character ex. Thượng. It would come out ThXXng, unable to recognize my vietnamese font. I'm unable to use the text title with vietnamese wording. Please help. Thanks

• 1. Re: Text title in vietnamese
          nealeh Level 5

I don't have the font you describe. Why does it have the extension .3 rather than .TTF?

Here's a couple of suggestions for you to try:

• Copy your font to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts
          • Use the built in Windows utility "Character Map" to create your title text with your font and then copy that into your Title in PRE.

[EDIT]

I've just checked out the VPS site: http://www.vps.org/article.php3?id_article=274. VPS doesn't appear to be a font in it's own right but a 'front-end' to using Vietnamese characters in your documents. This is probably why PRE doesn't recognise the characters. If you can find out what the actual font is that VPSKEYS uses then using that font directly ought to work. I say ought to as PRE sometimes can trip up with fonts other than those Microsoft and Adobe themselves provide.

Something else to try would be to create your Vietnamese text in, say Word, and see if you can then copy that to place into your document. Or enter the key directly with the [ALT]+[keycode] technique. e.g To enter ½ I held down the Alt key while typing 171 on the numeric pad , or Ô ([Alt]+ 236. Lists of the special keys can be found in numerous places. I've always tended to use http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html, or http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

[/EDIT]

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Added [EDIT] section

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text title in vietnamese
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also note: when you get the correct, actual font files, check the fonts out carefully. Titler is very, very sensitive to fonts, and they must be correctly designed to work with Titler. If a particular font does not work, you might have to research another version. Some font foundries provide excellent fonts, but many of the "free fonts," and even some from foundries, just will not work in Adobe programs, and especially in Titler, the most font-sensitive of the Adobe apps.. PS/PSE, AI, InDesign, and other Adobe apps., might not have an issue, but Titler might.

Also, even with a non-corrupt font, there can be display anomalies. I have found that Isabelle, and Isabella, from several foundries, just do not display properly in Adobe apps., and especially in Titler. The workaround is to not use those fonts.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful