6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 1:13 PM by Gazzaspi

Audio clip Strange Behavior

Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi

I have noticed that if I drop an audio clip (stereo mp3 for example)  onto an empty stereo audio track , the following happens.

If the track is expanded and Show track volume or Show track Keyframes are selected, I can not move or edit the clip, it's frozen (I can select and clear it)

If I just collapse the track, the clip become active and I can move and edit the clip.

If I expand the track and set to, Hide keyframes, show clip Volume or show clip keyframes, again the clip is active.

Why only, when the track is expanded and track volume or track keyframes are selected is the clip frozen?

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

• 1. Re: Audio clip Strange Behavior
          westonwoodbury Level 1

Hi Gary,

My only advice would be to try using Adobe Media Encoder to convert to .wave or .aiff & try from there to see if that helps your issues.

I've had various problems with .mp3s all through 4 or 5 versions of Premiere--sometimes they work okay, but I've found if anything goes wrong and it's acting haywire, converting to a .wav or .aiff often solves the problem.

Otherwise, it sounds like a UI bug and I encourage you to run updates (Help menu) to make sure you're updated to the latest version of your software.

- wb

• 2. Re: Audio clip Strange Behavior
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Clip keyframes/volume are "attached" to a particular clip; you can move that clip anywhere within your sequence and the keyframes or volume adjustments stay with the clip. This is because the clip is relative to the sequence, but the keyframes are absolute to the clip.

Track keyframes are not attached to any clip, but instead are absolute to points in time within your sequence. The assumption is that after you've done your individual clip volume adjustments, you know want to do a final mix and your clips are not going to move anywhere in time. That's why you cannot drag or otherwise move those clips.

For example, if you have an audio clip that goes from 0 to 5 seconds in your sequence, and you have track keyframes at 3 seconds and 5 seconds creating a ramp, if you moved that clip ahead two seconds, the ramp would still be from 3 to 5 seconds for the sequence, but would now be from 1 second to 3 seconds for the clip--probably not the result you're after.

The bottom line is that you probably don't want to work with track keyframes until you've placed all your clips in their final locations; then you can do your final mix with the track keyframes.

• 3. Re: Audio clip Strange Behavior
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

These articles might be useful.

This ARTICLE addresses MP3's.

This ARTICLE addresses the differences in Keyframes (Track vs Clip), as Colin explained.

Now, I have never encountered a situation, where one could not Move Audio Clips on an Audio Track, regardless of whether, or not, Track, or Clip Volume Keyframes were used.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio clip Strange Behavior
                Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi

Thanks for all the answers. I think Colins is correct.

Bill, please have alook a this poor video I just did. Are you saying this does not happen with you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnogKrqJUI

Thanks

Gart

• 5. Re: Audio clip Strange Behavior
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Gart,

Thank you for the video. I misunderstood what you were referring to on the Audio Track. I can confirm that the same thing has happened from at least PrPro 2.0. If one changes the Keyframe Display, just like collapsing the Audio Track, then normal behavior returns.

I just did not follow, as closely as I should have.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Audio clip Strange Behavior
                    Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi Guys

Thanks, that all makes sense now.

Cheers

Gary