20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 5:44 PM by RjL190365

Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please

barrydavid

Hi All,

First I would like to thank you for the interest in my post.  Your time, patience and help is very much appreciated!

I  have searched these forums and google for what specs are recommended  for PP CS5, but haven't found solid answers that would pertain to my  current build.  I am not a computer expert (although after all this  research, I think I deserve a some sort of certificate!! LOL) but I have  a bit of knowledge.

I am on a bit of a budget, ~$4,000 US, but please don't let the budget stop you from suggesting the appropriate recommendations.  If neccesary, and time/patience willing, please help advice what I would need to get as well as what I can get for $4,000.

To the questions!:

I  need to upgrade (or buy - but would like to see if I could save money  first by upgrading) my system to meet the requirements for HD video  editing (Sony Ex3 and Canon 5D Mii footage) and MPE (Adobe Premiere Pro  CS5).

Here are my current Computer specs (Please let me know if I need to add anymore info):

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.101026-1503)
      System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
      System Model: P55-USB3L  ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425 )
      BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
      Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU         530  @ 2.93GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
      Memory: (at the moment) 3072MB RAM  (seems I can go to 16gb -1333 or 2200 - on this board?)
      Available OS Memory: 3064MB RAM
      Page File: 2749MB used, 3375MB available

Graphics Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

UPS:  Gigabyte GE-P720A-C2

Harddrives:  I don't know how to check what RAID they are?    But I have:  INTERNAL:  2x Samsung HD103UJ ATA (1TB) / 1x Samsung HD321HJ / 1x Samsung HD322GJ / 1x WDC WD7500AYYS-01RCA0 (750gb) .  EXTERNAL: Toshiba 1.5 TB USB 2.0

Could  someone please help me by letting me know what I need to do in order to  upgrademy pc to run PP CS5 100%?  I will be editing wedding footage  (1.5-2.5 hour long) with some graphics to be added to the timeline.  I  would love if someone could suggest consumer recommendations, as well as  the professional recommendations, so I can see where I can stretch my  budget.  Please keep in mind, "basic system requirements" is waaaaaaay  different than "recommended"!!

I need to be fully upgraded ASAP so I can start  editing, so your quick (but informative!) responses would be very, very  appreciated! 

Many thanks in advance,

Barry

• 1. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look at the PPBM5 Benchmark to see what makes a good performing system.You will not see any i3 systems, because they are just too slow.

Specifically look at the bottom of the PPBM5 Latest News page for a rough indication what you may want. i7-950/960, X58 mobo, 12+ GB memory (3+ x 4 GB), GTX 460+ etc. Then look around here for suggested configurations. With your intended budget, it should not be very hard to come up with a good performing configuration.

• 2. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
            barrydavid Level 1

Anyone else?!  O,o

(I'll continue mindlessly searching the forums while I wait....) 

• 4. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
              barrydavid Level 1

I live in South Africa... I don't think they will sell or deliver to me...

Ok, I am contemplating buying instead....

Here is what I thought may be a good machine for PP CS5 (guided by research from various sites):

(Please leave the Dell hater comments out of your reply - we all know Dell is a rip off and this and that....it's just a guide line)

BASEDell Precision T7500 Workstation
              OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English
              PROCESSORSSix Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5690, 3.46GHz,12M L3, 6.4GT/s
              OFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel with ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
              SERVICES & WARRANTY3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
              POWER SUPPLYPrecision T7500 Power Supply
              MEMORY12GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1333MHz, ECC (6 DIMMS)
              WARRANTY EXTENSION NOTICEWarranty Extension Notice – Ensure coverage with notification when your warranty is about to expire
              VIDEO CARD2.5GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 5000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI
              RAID CONFIGURATIONC6 All SATA drives, RAID 0, 2 drive total configuration
              HARD DRIVE CONTROLLER (INTERNAL)Integrated LSI 1068e SAS/SATA 3.0Gb/s controller
              HARD DRIVE1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with 32MB DataBurst Cache™
              2ND HARD DRIVE1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with 32MB DataBurst Cache™
              OPTICAL DRIVE16X DVD-ROM with Cyberlink Power DVD™ No Media
              MONITORNo Monitor
              FLOPPY & MEDIA READERInternal 19:1 USB Media Card Reader

Bluray writer will be bought separately.

I'd love to hear your opinions 

• 5. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Complete waste of money. Way overpriced and way underspecced.

The CPU is good, but far too expensive. The memory is not enough, slow and overpriced. The video card is overpriced, with mediocre specs, the disk configuration is lousy and way too expensive, and it still is Dell, meaning absurd prices for anything but the basic configuration, crippled BIOS and no overclocking possibility and stuffed with all kinds of software crap.

For that price you could build three better performing systems if you do it yourself, or save a bundle if you go to a custom builder like ADK Video Editing.

• 6. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                  barrydavid Level 1

I live in South Africa, I think ordering from ADK may be a problem?  But I do appreciate how hard you work these forums marketing them! 

With all due respect, I do appreciate your opinions, but could you (pretty please) back your opinions up with some stats or facts?  I know you must be a pro, looking at all those posts under your avatar, but as you can see, I am a newbie and can't read every single post you have posted.  I can, however, patiently await your reponse that's full of detail! 

So here are the questions:

= Why is the CPU just "good"?  Your 5680's share the top spots in your benchmark stats.

= Why is the memory slow and not enough?  Adobe recommends 4GB and another site said 12GB's is good enough.

= Why do you consider the video card has "mediocre  specs"?  It's recommended and marketed by Adobe and Nvidia for CS5.

= Why is the "disk configuration lousy"?  And if it's lousy, what do you recommend and why?

= Why do you believe all Dell systems have a "crippled BIOS"?  What kind of experience have you had, or heard of?

= And what "software crap" is installed on the Dell systems?  Does it hurt the system somehow?

I plan on editing Canon 5DMii and Sony Ex3 footage.  No R3D footage, or design monsterous 3d graphics, or even CAD.  I am looking for a system that supports the MPE and renders nicely.  It doesn't have to be lightning fast or at the top of your websites benchmark.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.  It is very much appreciated.

Barry

• 7. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

HI Barry,

we ship worldwide so its not a problem...

and yes what they have said is correct.

fell free to email me (general sales) on our website

Scott

ADK

thanks for the the recommendations guys..

• 8. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      = Why is the CPU just "good"?  Your 5680's share the top spots in your benchmark stats.

A single CPU is not comparable to a dual CPU. And those top ranking DUAL X5680's are heavily overclocked, which is not possible with Dell.

= Why is the memory slow and not enough?  Adobe recommends 4GB and another site said 12GB's is good enough.

Those same top ranking systems all have 24 GB as minimum, some using 48 GB and run memory at higher speed, which is not possible with Dell.

= Why do you consider the video card has "mediocre  specs"?  It's recommended and marketed by Adobe and Nvidia for CS5.

Lesser cores, lesser bus width, less memory, lower clock speeds than the 580.

= Why is the "disk configuration lousy"?  And if it's lousy, what do you recommend and why?

Only two disks. All the top ranking systems have extensive raid configurations with many more disks and better raid controllers.

= Why do you believe all Dell systems have a "crippled BIOS"?  What kind of experience have you had, or heard of?

Practical experience myself and numerous experiences from others.

= And what "software crap" is installed on the Dell systems?  Does it hurt the system somehow?

Office, McAfee, Dell utilities, and so on. It hurts the system to a slower performance and no more than below average results, despite the price tag.

BTW, your last Dell configuration is more than 2.5 times over your original budget.

• 9. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                        barrydavid Level 1

Ah, there we go!  Thanks for the info Harm!

"BTW, your last Dell configuration is more than 2.5 times over your original budget."

We're getting desperate now. I've been researching specs for 3 days solid now and we need this PC quite urgently.

@ Harm - You suggest the 580 GC again, but it isn't recommended by adobe?  I am guessing the "hack" works 100% with this card?

These forums and google are so confusing.  One says this and the other says that.  Who are you supposed to believe?!  I just want a decent computer that will run cs5 and MPE smoothly without too many headaches, is that too much to ask!?  LOL  I don't need top rank, but I of course don't want slow (I already have an i3!!!).

Scott, I'll speak to my father-in-law and see what he says. I think it's just easier for us (in South Africa) to order from Dell.  Thanks for the info, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.  ( I am busy building a computer on your site - any helpful suggestions would be appreciated - PM me if you wouldn't mind)

Thank you for the response guys!

• 10. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                          barrydavid Level 1

Harm - on your benchmark site, how do i know if it's 1333 ram or 1600 or 2200?

• 11. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

We don't ask that information specifically, but for locked CPU's you can derive the memory speed from the clock speed. At stock speed the i7-9xx normally uses 1066 as the memory speed, For OC'ed systems, a rough estimate of memory speed is 8 x BCLK, unless the multiplier is changed.

• 12. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                              barrydavid Level 1

Thanks Harm!

Ok, I think I may have a good spec now.  I have decided against Dell.  Just way too expensive!

New Spec to consider:

CPU:  Intel® Core™ i7-990X Extreme Edition 3.46GHz Overclocked To
                              4.0GHz Six-Core 12MB Cache CPU

First Six-Core/12 Threads CPU - Highest Performing Desktop
                              Processor

MOBO:  ASUS Rampage III Extreme Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
                              Motherboard

GC: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (2x1.5GB) (2x384bit) DDR5 DX11 Graphics
                              Card

OS HDD: UltraFast 60GB SSD Read: 285MB/s Write:275MB/s Solid State Drive
                              (OS Drive)

TOWER:  Antec P193 High Performance Silent Workstation Case

COOLING:  Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator 6 Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual
                              SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler

PSU:  950W 80+ Modular Gaming Power Supply

MEMORY: 12GB Triple Channel DDR3 1600MHz High Performance Gaming RAM
                              With Heat Spreader

LG 10x BLU-RAY Writer

Integrated 8 CH HD Sound Card

Gigabit LAN Card - Broadband Ready

Total Price:  25,000 South African Rand  (3,500 US- pretty good I think [?], considering import duties on our components)

How does that look?  Any better?  I based my decisions on your benchmark.  Like I said previously, I am not looking to get the most professional computer, but one that handles ppcs5 and mpe nicely, with few headaches.

I await someone's input patiently... 

• 13. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

That looks great and easily within budget. Top CPU and great components all over. Just remember the conventional hard disks.

• 14. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                  barrydavid Level 1

YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!    Thank God that is over!  LMAO!

Now to research HD camera and steadi-cam rig....  >,<    It never eeeends!

Thank you Harm, for your advice and benchmark site.

• 15. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                    barrydavid Level 1

Back with a question!

On my above quote, it lists 2x 580's but it should say 1x gtx 580.

Is it a better option to go for 2 x gtx 580's?  Will I get a better performance?

I checked out the benchmark site again, but dont understand where to see if a specific computer has more than one graphics card....

Thanks for the help!

• 16. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

No SLI (2) video cards are a complete waste

Scott

ADK

• 17. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                        barrydavid Level 1

Great, thanks Scott!

So I am right in saying that the 580's used on the benchmark site are single graphics cards?

EDIT:

is it a waste because cs5 doesn't use the second card or something?  (....why is it a "waste")

if it doesn't harm the editing process or interfere, is it ok to have 2x 580's (for gaming...)

• 18. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sine PR does not use more than ONE video card, does not support SLI or Cross-Fire configurations, we do not ask about the number of cards, since most people only use one video card. There is no performance gain at all and it requires a much beefier PSU, which also costs extra. In rare cases people do use two video cards for the sole purpose to have display on a third monitor. The 580 is pretty expensive for that sole purpose. It would be much nicer if Adobe were to port hardware MPE to OpenCL and ATI cards, since then one would have the choice to use ATI with their multi-monitor support (up to 6) instead of nVidia with only two monitor support. Can you imagine working with 6 24" monitors instead of only 2?

• 19. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                            Scott Chichelli Level 3

Eyefinity has been really sketchy at best not to mention you need display port adaptors.. that are not included with the ati cards..

• 20. Re: Upgrade my current PC build to work for PP CS5 - Need help Please
                                              RjL190365 Level 4

If you have two cards, Premiere Pro will use only the primary one. By that very same token, had you purchased a GTX 590 (which is a dual-GPU card), Premiere Pro would have used only one of the two GPUs on that card - and each of the two GPUs on that GTX 590 are only about as powerful as a GTX 560 Ti.

And the i7-990X is a big improvement over that i3-530: Had you run Harm's and Bill's PPBM5 benchmark, you would have found that i3 to be only on a par with a low- to mid-level Core 2 Quad at best.