1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 11:47 AM by Priyank Pardiwala

Printing a PDF document from a network printer hosted on Windows Print Server

Priyank Pardiwala

Hi

We have a use case where a XFA form needs to be merged with the XML file and later be printed on a printer hosted on Windows Print Server.

While I know the first part of merging the template with the data file, I am stuggling to get my document printed.

Here are the options that I have already tried -

1) Used the generatePrintedOutput to render a flat PDF and convert it into a PS format.

2) The output of the above service was input to the "sendToPrinter" service with following configuration settings

Input document     : <Document variable referencing to the output of the GeneratePrintedOutput service>

Printer Protocol     : DirectIP

Server URI            : \\ <IP address of the Print Server>     NOTE: The Print Server is hosted on a different domain & is a Windows Server

Printer Name        : \\ <IP address of the Print Server>\<name of the printer>

Some more information about our LC servers -

OS -> Unix

Application Server -> JBoss

When I used these settings and invoked the process, I got the following exception -

2011-03-07 11:13:39,047 ERROR [com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException] ALC-OUT-001-403: Could not connect to the DirectIP Server: \\<IP Address of the Printer Server>.
      2011-03-07 11:13:39,067 ERROR [com.adobe.workflow.AWS] An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException message:com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException: ALC-OUT-001-403: Could not connect to the DirectIP Server:
      \\<IP Address of the Printer Server>. while invoking service OutputService and operation sendToPrinter and no fault routes were found to be configured.
      2011-03-07 11:13:39,069 ERROR [com.adobe.idp.workflow.dsc.invoker.WorkflowDSCInvoker] An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException message:com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException: ALC-OUT-001-403: Could not connect to the DirectIP Server:
      \\<IP Address of the Printer Server>. while invoking service OutputService and operation sendToPrinter and no fault routes were found to be configured.
      2011-03-07 11:13:39,079 ERROR [com.adobe.workflow.AWS] An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException message:com.adobe.livecycle.output.exception.OutputException: ALC-OUT-001-403: Could not connect to the DirectIP Server:

Therefore I tried to check if I am able to Ping the Printer Server from my Livecycle Server and found that the ping was successful.

Next - I changed the Printer Protocol from DirectIP to SharedPrinter keeping the rest of the settings same. In this case - when I invoke the process, it did not throw any error , but it did not print any document as well.

Any suggestion where I have gone wrong? Pls let me know if you would need more information to help me resolve this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Priyank

• 1. Re: Printing a PDF document from a network printer hosted on Windows Print Server
          Priyank Pardiwala Level 1

Well I found the answer......

I had to do the two steps below -

1) Go to Admin UI, "Trust Store Management -> User & Password Credentials" and add a profile for my Printer server with login ID and password which can access the printer.

So in the "User & Password Crendentails" page, I click on "add" and fill the following values

Profile : \\ <IP address of the print server> ....... (It is important that you write the name correctly..for example " \\10.10.234.212"

USername : <user id who has access to the printer>

Password  : <password for that user Id>

2) In the sendToPrinter service, I used CIFS as the protocol and I have the proper Server URI as below

\\10.10.234.212\<printername>

And it worked ! .....