1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 10:11 AM by blondeBC

Adobe Reader 10 problem with opening pdf files

galaxysc

Ever since I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader 10, I have been unable to open .pdf files from the Internet.  When

I try to download them, I only the get the option of saving the file, not opening it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 10 problem with opening pdf files
          blondeBC

We had similar problems with both the upgrade to 9.4.2 and 10.0.1. We would either get the download/save screen or a black screen would appear and eventually error out and freeze up the machine when we tried to hit pages that loaded pdfs stored in Oracle.  We found the pdfs would load when using Chrome or Firefox.

We're running winXP SP3 and mainly have users using IE 7 and IE 8.  We were eventually able to solve the problem by doing the following:

• Implementing the code fix outlined in this thread (Response.charset = null;) in the page that pulled pdfs from Oracle: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3476821
          • Uninstalling and reinstalling the base version of Reader (9.4.0 or X.0) from users' machines that had gone through the update from 9.x to X.x
          • Rebooting the machine after each uninstall or install
          • Updating the Reader to either 9.4.2 or 10.0.1

Now we have users who can successfully load the pdfs from Oracle who are running either 9.4.2 or 10.0.1.

Hope this helps!