5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 11:54 AM by Jim_Simon

Project Manager

kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks to you folks, I can now put a project to bed . I'm very pleased with the Production Suite so far--PrP, En, Bridge, AME. (I've yet to tackle AE, and some of the others; I'm an old PS user). Let's assume I want the project saved so that if I wish to go back and make changes in the future I can, and that I'm going to store this off line.

1. Can you explain what exactly "Trim" does, in contrast to "Collect": I've done a "Collect Files" and see what it does. But a few questions:

a. I note it doesn't save anything under "Preview Files": Yet "Preview" is checked in the Proj Manager. Do I want Preview Files? What are they for?

b. When I "Collect" there are files saved under "Cache": Do I want them?

c.  After using Proj Manager in this way, do I then clean out "Preview Files and Media Cache " on my hard drive--the ones that have been created while I'm working?

d. I didn't try "Trim" yet: Will this change the actual project I'm currently working on? What is the advantage and disadvantage of "Trim" I note that the calculated size after Trim is larger than the size after Collect Files. How can this be?

e. For archiving, which do you recommend, trim or collect--assuming you want to have the flexibility of returning to the project some time in the future--to make some changes as needed.

f. My final project (master sequence) was composed of 5 other sequences, which were then copied into the master sequence. Is there any reason when trimming or collecting to check (save) these sequences in the Proj Manager?

Thanks

kdoc

• 1. Re: Project Manager
          kdoc2 Level 1

Sorry to bounce back in my own question, but I remain unclear about it, and particularly about the difference between Trim and Collect. They seem to give me identical results except for Media Cache (when I "exclude unused files"). When do you use each and what's the value of keeping media cache?

kdoc

• 2. Re: Project Manager
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I recommend not using either.  Premiere Pro is an NLE.  For file management operations, I recommend using a proper file manager - Explorer or Finder.

• 3. Re: Project Manager
              kdoc2 Level 1

Sorry Jim, perhaps I'm not being clear. I'm speaking about using it when I'm through with the project--to archive it, put it away, conserving space, but at the same time leaving myself the option of going back to it, if corrections or changes later have to be made. Putting it offline. I'm asking what's the difference of "Trim" and "Collect Files", and whether you all use these?

kdoc

• 4. Re: Project Manager
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I get it.

I don't use either option, and I recommend you don't either.  Premiere Pro is an NLE, not a file manager.  Yes, it has some limited file management capabilities, but they don't always work perfectly.  That's why I recommend the proper tool for the job - Explorer for Windows, or Finder for Macs.

• 5. Re: Project Manager
                  kdoc2 Level 1

OK, I get what you're saying.

Thanks

kdoc (Keith)