4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 9:16 PM by Ted Smith

Grainy video when viewing on HDTV

mspeanutmm

As Ted Smith responded (below) to my issue earlier:

"If you have started off with high resolution stills of say more than 3 megapixels, and want to show them on a large HDTV of say 1900x1080 you will be very disappointed if you make a Standard Def DVD. You get about one quarter of the resolution even with an upscaling BD player playing DVDs. An old DVD video player can be worse again as some of them can only produce about 300 lines.

Even with only a half HDTV (1360x768) you still get a lot worse going down to 480 NTSC.

DVD and video relied somewhat on the images being moving frame to frame to give an illusion of detail. A freeze frame always looks fuzzier than when moving.

If you have Blue ray burning and playing capability, the result is remarkably better - as good as your TV set is capable of."

---------------------------

Unfortunately this is what happened to me.  I originally created my video via PRE8 using the high resolution photos.  I made the mistake of burning to standrad NTSC Dolby format because I was concerned that my laptop did not have enough horse power to burn at the 1080 HD format.  My system was bogging down during the creation of the video to begin with.  As mentioned earlier, I ended up scrapping my project and started it again by downsizing my photos using PRE8 Editor (see below) and choosing JPG: medium size....though I did not know what the dimension would be.  I burned it as the highese level PRE8 would allow.  The video is not the best quality but better than the 1st project.  I wonder how it would have looked if I had chosen JPG: large?  If I did this, would I have to choose HD DVD burn level vs. NTSC Dolby to view on a HDTV?  BIG lesson learned.

For future reference, does anyone know what the dimensions are (below) in PRE8 Editor when using "processing multiple photos" ?

JPG:  small

JPG:  med

JPG:  large

JPG:  max

• 1. Re: Grainy video when viewing on HDTV
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For Video, it is the pixel x pixel dimensions, that matter. What did you choose there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Grainy video when viewing on HDTV
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. What matters is the project preset you selected when you created your project.

And, of course, the Share output and preset you selected when you output your video.

The size and quality level of the JPEG itself ultimately matters little, after, say, 1000x750 pixels in size.

• 3. Re: Grainy video when viewing on HDTV
              mspeanutmm Level 1

Thanks for your patience while I learn all these ins and outs.  Are you referring to how I ported the slideshow from PSE8 to PRE8?  If so, I assumed that I would have to port it at NTSC standard because I had reduced the resolution of my photos in PSE8 Editor to begin with.  Could I go back now into my PRE8 video and open up via PSE8 (which reverts back to my slideshow) and change the presets to make it higher resolution...from there, burn to my laptopn folder as HD DVD format?  In the end, will this make the viewing better on the HDTV?

• 4. Re: Grainy video when viewing on HDTV
                Ted Smith Level 3

I presumed you were intending viewing them on an external HD TV set. In which case best results are obtained form stills if you make them the same pixel size as your screen before you inport them, into PE. (or at least a near multiple)

You can see what size their properties originally are if you load them into Photoshop or similar viewer.

Slightly bigger than the final product (that is sometimes recommended) can be half as bad again because the end conversion is a fudge. The edges have to be blurred over to disguise the jagged edges you get if you dont reduce by an even multipul of pixels.

Eg. try dividing anything by 1.12345 !

If using only on a computer I suggest making the originals the same pixel size as your project and you make the project the same size as what you are going to view it on (the computer).

In other words everything should be at the same resolution.

If you make a 1900x1080 project and view it on a laptop at say 1400x900, it looks considerable worse than a project originally made and burnt at 1400x900

Take the opportunity to crop or stretch them to fit the 16x9 format as they probably originally werre 3x4. Photoshop is quite quick in doing this once you get the hang of it. You can often use Photoshop's smartfix to improve your graphics or sharpen something you have to enlarge. Do and Save in order with a different letter ahead of the filename as a new file in case you make a mess of it and they all appear in the organiser in order no matter when they were originally shot.