4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 7:25 PM by valentin.oprea

Premiere PC configuration (1800usd/1300eur)

valentin.oprea Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for some time and would like to thank the contributors for the things i learned here. Although there have been lots of configuration threads, i decided to start this one because i have some issues that do no apply to the others.

Me and friend started  a small movie production company last year in Bucharest, Romania. We made mainly wedding movies, we use dslrs and editing of the movies is done in  Premiere CS5 and some experiments in AfterEffects ( i can provide a portofolio link if anyone curios) . Untill now we used a Athlon x2 configuration with a gtx 285 and 6 GB of ram.

Now i have gathered some money and it's time for upgrade.

I7 950

Gigabyte x58a ud3R

GTX 470 Super OC 1.28GB

3 x 4gb kingmax dd3 1333 MHz

Power supply : Antec TruePower Quattro 850 W

Case: Antec three hundred

Hard disk setup:

1. Hard disk Samsung 320GB SATA-II 7200 rpm 16MB SpinPoint F4
      2. Hard disk Samsung 1 TB SATA-II 7200RPM 32MB PMR Spinpoint F3
      3. Hard disk Samsung 2TB SATA-II 5400rpm 32MB SpinPoint F4 Eco Green

( 1. windows and programs 2. swap, project files 3. storage)

in 1-2 months we will invest again in this configuration

my questions are,

what can i make to improve the hard disk setup? (taking into consideration that the above configuration is at 95% of the funds available)

for the ram memory Corsair DDR3 4096MB 1600Mhz CL9 would be about 40 usd extra, is it worth it ?

video card, for 67 usd less i can have a normal asus GTX470, is the gigabyte super overclocked version worth the difference ?

any suggestions for a good cooler for the processor ?

http://www.pcgarage.ro/vizualizare-wishlist/341122/ - configuration link (in Romanian)

thank you.

• 1. Re: Premiere PC configuration (1800usd/1300eur)
          Crist OC/PC Level 2

"what can i make to improve the hard disk setup? (taking into consideration that the above configuration is at 95% of the funds available)"

1 BUY all hard drive exctly the same. Then you will think in make a good raid configuration.

"for the ram memory Corsair DDR3 4096MB 1600Mhz CL9 would be about 40 usd extra, is it worth it ?"

Absolutly, and if the corsair is the " DOMINATOR MODEL even more. That is the best ram in the market no matter what.

" for 67 usd less i can have a normal asus GTX470, is the gigabyte super overclocked version worth the difference ?

any suggestions for a good cooler for the processor ?"

If you buy gtx 460 you will get the same result if you make a good overclock. any how in the end what will be most importat is the O.C. of your cpu.

B.R.

Cristobal.

• 2. Re: Premiere PC configuration (1800usd/1300eur)
            JEShort01 Level 4

Suggest you move up to the GA-P67A-UD4-B3, so if you ever add a hardware RAID card in your second PCIe slot it will get x8 lanes. The Gigabyte board you mentioned is a 16x/4x model.

I agree with Cristobal regarding the GTX 460; make sure you get at least a 1MB model; I like the MSI GTX 460 Hawk or Talon models - easy and quite to take up to 850MHz.

I don't have a specific recommend for a 950 CPU cooler, but do research that and get a good one; OC'ing helps a ton w/ PPro CS5!

Jim

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere PC configuration (1800usd/1300eur)
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>recommend for a 950 CPU cooler

There are many brands & models, the one I bought (link below) was to be sure that there would be no problem with fitting over the memory, while still cooling better than the stock Intel brand

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere PC configuration (1800usd/1300eur)
                valentin.oprea Level 1

thank you all for your answers, sorry for the late feedback but was out of town

i bought the system, got the gigabyte gtx 470 soc at 320 usd (around 230 euro), i considered it a good price and went for it (40 eur/50usd difference from a new gtx 460)

with the ram i went for 1333, there was no stock for 1600 and could not wait with the completed system. 

what i learned is that when you're thinking multiple hard drives a modular power supply is very very helpful, i've ran out fast of space in my case due to extra cables from the power supply, now i'm trying to find a solution so that the system has good air flow and also my drives are all in the case.

will buy the cooler for the processor in two weeks time as cash flow is not ideal now