7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 12:18 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Color Management Does Not Work in AE

NickMcCamy

I color manage everything I do in Photoshop and Lightroom without a hitch.

After Effects CS5 does not color manage correctly.  It simply does not work.  The only setting I could find for it simply asks if you want it more accurate.

Maybe there are other settings somewhere, but I have not found them.

Is there anyone out there that really understands color management that is having the same problem?

• 1. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Umm, and what specifically? Footage interpretation? The Color Profile Converter effect? Render settings? Other such stuff? Of course, as a video centric app, AE only deals with RGB, but otherwise its CM works just fine within what it is meant for, just differently from how it is setup in PS and other apps. You are really not making any sense whatsoever. I strongly suggest you start with the basics and  read the help and this article to get you started. Everything you need is there, you are just operating under completely wrong assumptions, probably due to being inexperienced in AE in general.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
            NickMcCamy Level 1

Perhaps my assumptions are incorrect.  I want to be able to see on my wide gamut monitor during AE preview, what I see in Photoshop.  I work with stills and thought that AE would simply allow me to view my stills based on my color profile.

• 3. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I want to be able to see on my wide gamut monitor during AE preview, what I see in Photoshop.  I work with stills and thought that AE would simply allow me to view my stills based on my color profile.

AE will recognize embedded color profiles, but you still need to tell it how to retain or convert them by setting up the project color space in the project options and assigning a preview (proof) profile to your comp (your monitor profile in this case) and depending on what other stuff figures in, you may need to deal with the linearization options and Gamma overrides or manually apply a color profile converter effect. Anyway, depending on what you are after and where you plan to use your resulting video, none of that may make sense and you may be tackling the problem from the wrong end. If your files are going to end up on a DVD, BluRay or as a Flash video on the web, extensive adjustments using your own profiels won't do any good, as color spaces and target profiles for specific video formats are fixed. So in fact you may need to spend time to adjust your imagery to work without color profiles or the standard sRGB profile at least....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
                NickMcCamy Level 1

OK, I stand firmly corrected!  I indeed have discovered "Project Settings" and can enter my custom color profile and now I am happy!

But why is there "Project Settings" and "Composition Settings"?  I thought these were one in the same.

• 5. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

Because one Project can contain multiple Compositions that have different settings.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
                    NickMcCamy Level 1

OK, I see your point.  Thank you.

• 7. Re: Color Management Does Not Work in AE
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this section for information about color management.

There are some additional resources here.

1 person found this helpful