5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 8:15 AM by the_wine_snob

Memory errors loading jpg's and a host of problems

catflorida

I've spent the last 4 hours installing and uninstalling Premiere Elements 9.x.

What a nightmare.

Attempting to create a simple movie (to test the 9.x rev) that will incorporate hi-res jpg photos with a soundtrack. I couldn't get past attempting to even load the jpg's (about 75).  My goal is to use this to create an HD vid that will hopefully have something close to the resolution of the jpgs I started with.

It would constantly disply a "reported memory errors" message during the attempted load of the jpgs.  Created multiple (different) projects in case one of those became corrupt.  Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times to make sure I didn't have any corrupted prog files.  No luck.

The memory errrors would be on random jpg's (all using names from my Nikon (like DSC_XXXX.jpg).  The jpg's are about 4 MB each or less.

Is this app anywhere close to stable yet?

I've used 8.x with no problems and run a variety of graphics apps with no problems whatsover  (some Adobe and some Nikon and a host of others).

Installs were a pain in the *** with a message to shut down Explorer (when it wasn't open) forcing a reboot each time.

System:  Windows 7, 4 GB of RAM, 500 GB plus of free space and I wouldn't dare load another app while trying to use this one lest it burst into flames.

Any help would appreciated as this app seems horribly buggy at the moment.

Regads,

cat

• 1. Re: Memory errors loading jpg's and a host of problems
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels (at 72 ppi) per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=30

There's no point in using huge, hi-rez photos in a video project. Video is video, and it comes in video resolution. Loading huge, hi-rez photos into it will only choke the program -- as you're seeing.

• 2. Re: Memory errors loading jpg's and a host of problems
            catflorida Level 1

That is no doubt my problem, Steve.

Excellent FAQ article, by the way.  Were I wearing a hat, I would tip it in your direction.

Well, this was my goal - to maintain the quaility of my images in an HD video.

I tried doing the same in a Roxio app, and the results looked like hell.

I had high hopes that Premiere would handle the hi res images, but I'll take your advice and "down-rez" 'em and see what the resulting avi looks like.

Thanks for taking the time to respond - much appreciated.

cat

• 3. Re: Memory errors loading jpg's and a host of problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Cat,

With Video, the larger your still images are,much beyond the Frame Size of your Project, the lower the quality, and the greater the workload on the computer. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and offers some tips for Scaling the stills, outside of PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Memory errors loading jpg's and a host of problems
                catflorida Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you for the tips and the link to your article on workflow - much appreciated, especially your comments about keeping those files alive as psd's.  I'm doing my initial "fixes" in NX2, then a dump to jpg for any final touch ups.  I've often sat scratching my head as to how to do *all* the mods in a format I could at least go back and look at if not duplicate 6 months from now and I think your psd solution might be the trick.  I'm going to screw around with that a little and see how that flies.  My only concerns would be massive amounts of disk space not only for the psd's, but the NEF's, resulting jpg's and of course, backups (currently dump to a 1TB Seagate drive and back that up with Acronis Backup and Recovery 10(.x).

Again, Hunt, I thank you.  The attention to detail you guys give here to solutions is truly appreciated.

cat

• 5. Re: Memory errors loading jpg's and a host of problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Cat,

You are most welcome.

As for HDD space, I feel your pain. I have a 4TB NAS, plus about 15 1, 1.5 and 2TB externals for storage.

Good luck, and do explore the PSD workflow.

Hunt