8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 9:46 AM by mattman444

PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]

mattman444

Hi everyone.  I'm having a debug event when trying to drop a clip into the timeline.  I've read some of the other threads but that doesn't seem to be my problem.  My scratch settings are all set to the hard drive (not a network), although the software was installed by an admin.  I tried to open a project in the admin account and the same thing happens.  I have 234GB free on the hard drive.  As far as I know all of the settings are correct on the video.  The clip is a converted .mts > .avi (I also tried .mts in the program and .mts>.mov; same problem).  The camera is a Canon VIXIA HF100 set to 1080i 60i HD (which is the setting I used in PrE as well).  Once loaded into the program the clip itself will play when double clicked but the video skips almost immediately then will freeze (the audio is normal).  Once the clip is dragged into the timeline for edit the debug event occurs and the system crashes.  Would the video card come into play here?  That's the only thing I can think of.  The system specifications and crash report are listed below.  Thanks for any help.

Toshiba Tecra A11

Intel Core i7

2.67 GHz

2.98 GB RAM

XP Professional Service Pack 3

***Not sure what video card I have but in "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" I have....

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

NVIDIA High Def Audio (X 4)

Realtek High Def Audio

Video Codecs

I saved the crash data as well....but it was 21 pages long so I didn't want to post it here.  Would that help?  If so, any particular page or the whole thing?

• 1. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're editing your video in a Premiere Elements project that's set up for hi-def or AVCHD, you should not be using an AVI for your source file.

In fact, it sounds like converting your video may be at the root of your entire problem.

You should not be converting. You should be shooting your video only in FXP mode and then using Get Media/AVCHD Camcorder to bring the video directly from that camcorder into a project that's set up for AVCHD 1920x1080 stereo.

Try a short video using those specs and see if your results change.

Also, go to Windows Update manually and ensure you have even the non-critical updates available. Then go to Apple.com and ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

And, finally, if you haven't already, go to Premiere Elements Help menu and Check for Updates.

BTW, you do seem to have a strange configuration. Is this a brand name computer or a home-assembled machine?

• 2. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
            mattman444 Level 1

Thanks for your fast response.  And you're right, the setup is a bit weird.  I teach at a high school and the equipment was basically given to me to work on school projects.  So I'm trying to make it all work together.  In college we had all Mac labs with Final Cut Pro, which I am used to.  This program with PC is throwing me for a loop.  I did make a short video in the AXP setting, then set the project to what you said - When I hooked the camera up to the computer, it connected (all the folders and whatnot popped up and the camera indicated it was connected).  I hid all of the folders and opened PrE.  When I tried to bring it in from the camera, the capture window came up but it said there was no camera connected.  I tried a few times and it didn't work.  I tried taking the SD card out of the camera and importing it into the program that way.  That didn't work either.  The file was copied to the hard drive from the SD card but still came

up in the program as an .mts file.  The same crash happen when dragged into the timeline.  Should I just try all the updates then?  I don't know why the computer won't recognize the camera.  I left it there for a minute or two in case there was a delay and still nothing.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Capture only works from miniDV tape cameras, connected to the computer via FireWire.

With the AVCHD material, you will want to first Copy over the entire folder structure to the internal HDD, and use Get Media from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
                mattman444 Level 1

The camera I have has no HDD.  All of the media gets stored on an SD card.  My laptop has a slot for the card.  I tried to insert the card directly into the computer to get the clips into the program.  I can do that, but the error still comes up.

• 5. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

No, the HDD that I was referring to was on your computer.

Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
                    mattman444 Level 1

Oh ok.  I had earlier made a video clips folder on my desktop and copied and pasted all of the .mts clip files from the SD disk.  Opening those clips from that folder in PrE would trigger the error.  I did not, however, copy all of the source files from the camera on the computer's hard drive.  I am doing that now.  Thank you for your patience.  At the very least, I have some time before my March 24th deadline.  I just might need to re-shoot since the original material was shot in SP instead of FXP.

• 7. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
                      mattman444 Level 1

It still doesn't work.  This clip is labeled a .XMP file.  When I use "Get Media" to import the clip from the computer's hard drive, then drag the clip into the timeline, it drops in and the red render line will register in the correct area of the time but before anything else happens the error message comes up and the program crashes.  PrE has been uninstalled and reinstalled already with no success.

• 8. Re: PrE 8.0 Debug Event [..\..\Src\PathUtils.cpp-190]
                        mattman444 Level 1

Ok I've got it.  I had the capture scratch going to "My Documents" to avoid the server.  Well I had a rather long momentary lapse in remembering our "My Docs" folders are uploaded on our school server.  So I changed all of the scratch folders to the desktop and it works now.  The only thing I notice now is the background rendering of the clip is only at 27% and it started 5 minutes ago.  That's just the computer speed, right?  I can deal with that, just as long as it's working now.  Thanks guys for your patience.