5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 11:26 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Two Qs re: AE 10

TarikMansuer

Hi there. I have two questions on how to use AE.

1) I need to make a flash .swf file of my project I cant render to a swf, because it's not in the list of available formats. I can output to swf, but then I cant crop, and control the size (dimensions) of the final file. And the swf does not contain the fx, trasitions, etc.

2) I need to embed a link directly into the flash file. How to do this?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Two Qs re: AE 10
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here are instructions for rendering and exporting a SWF file. That page also has information about web links in SWF files.

• 2. Re: Two Qs re: AE 10
            TarikMansuer Level 1

Hi - thanks for the reply.

I looked at that page, and I see info on what swf is, and how to export to swf, but not:

1)  How to make a flash .swf file of my project with cropping, controling the size (dimensions) of the final file, and having the final file contain the fx, trasitions, etc.

That info is not on that page - the only info there is how to doa basic export.

2)  I need to embed a link directly into the flash file.

I didnt see any info on that page about this either - info on what the links are and some of the switches that can be used yes, but not how to actually embed a link directly into the flash file.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Two Qs re: AE 10
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You don't have much control over SWF export from After Effects. The SWF export feature of After Effects is a legacy feature that predates Adobe and Macromedia merging. These days, if you want to create a SWF file, we expect that you'll do it in the application created just for that purpose: Flash Professional. In general, you're usually better off creating FLV or F4V movies from After Effects and putting those in a SWF with interactivity and such that you make in Flash Professional.

This page summarizes your options.

• 4. Re: Two Qs re: AE 10
                TarikMansuer Level 1

Hi - I understand your email, but am still in the dark here. The links you have pointed me to arent really telling me anything.

Is there somewhere I can go with step-by-step instructions on how to do this? You say that I should create a SWF file in Flash. Does flash have all of the capabilites that AE does? Can I open the AE project in Flash? If not, how do I do this? 

Are there any step-by-step detailed instructions on how to put a FLV in a SWF?

Sorry, but I am new to all of this, and I am not able to get much help from anywhere.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Two Qs re: AE 10
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This would be a good set of questions for the Flash forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash