20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 4:14 AM by Jay Gladwell

Original Question Revisited -- Newbie

Jay Gladwell Level 1

I'm trying to understand why no matter what file format I drag onto the TL (MP4, MXF, DNxHD MOV), I get 4 instances of the clip's audio track.

I shoot with the EX3, which only has two channels--left and right. On occasion, I record in mono with an external mic onto the left track. Why won't Premiere read that as a stereo track with only one audible channel? Every time I bring a new clip to the TL I get four more tracks. Deleting three tracks with every clip is a ridiculous course to follow. It gets very tedious very quickly! Isn't there a way around this?

Also...

When I first started using PPro, I only heard the track's left channel through the left speaker, as one would expect. Now, I'm hearing the left channel through both the left and right speaker as if the channels had been combined. Any ideas as to what I did to cause this?

Thanks for your patience!

• 1. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
          shooternz Level 6

Have you tried Audio Mapping your clips?

I do just that on P2 source clips.

• 2. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
            Jay Gladwell Level 1

No, but I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
              Jay Gladwell Level 1

Okay, to return and report...

Using MXF files, no matter what setting I selected under "Source Channel Mapping," it gave me four individual tracks.

Using the MP4 files straight from the BPAV folder, and selecting "Stereo" under "Source Channel Mapping," I was getting one stereo track, in this case left channel only, just as I was expecting to all along.

Even though Adobe says PPro CS5 edits MXF natively, it certainly appears not to like the audio portion of such files.

The reason I was using the MXF files was because there were no red or yellow bars at the top of the TL when those files are on the TL. In the case of using MP4s, the bar is always yellow.

Maybe Adobe will fix this...?

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not sure there is anything to fix.  Most MXF files come from a P2 camera, which use 4 audio channels.  Your rewrapping software is likely encoding them that way.

• 5. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                  Jay Gladwell Level 1

My old NLE didn't open four tracks.

Seems the problem is PPro is assuming all MXF files come from P2 cameras, and such is not the case, not with the advent of the XDCAM EX cameras several years ago.

• 6. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                    shooternz Level 6

You dont have a tiny file you can post up for me / us to test

do you?

Just clarify for me...how did you go about "Audio Remapping" ?  (step by step)

• 7. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Jay,

Can you post the link to your original thread? For whatever reason, I can't find it. I want to try this; I've got some XDCAM-EX MP4s from an EX3 that I know (at least I think) work correctly. But you're saying it's the MXFs (generated by XDCAM browser, right?) that screw up?

I'll test when I'm back at the ranch...

• 8. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                        Jay Gladwell Level 1

Colin, here is the link to the earlier thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/799341?tstart=60

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                          Jay Gladwell Level 1

Shooter, here's what I did:

1. Clicked on Edit on menu bar
                          2. Selected Preferences
                          3. Selected Audio
                          4. Clicked dropdown menu on Source Channel Mapping
                          5. Selected Stereo (in the final trial)
                          6. Clicked on OK

Which format, MXF or MP4, for the tiny file, and how tiny?

• 10. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                            shooternz Level 6

Try this way:

Select all/any of the source clips in the Project Bin

Menu Bar> Clip>Modify>Audio Channels

• 11. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                              Jay Gladwell Level 1

Now, when I drag a MXF file to the TL I get two tracks instead of four--one in the main stereo track, Audio 1, and a second stero track, Audio 2, that is silent.

The MP4 is still one track of video and one track of audio.

• 12. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                Jay Gladwell Level 1

That did it, Shooter!

Is that the default or do I do this for each project?

Thank you!

• 13. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                  shooternz Level 6

I do that on each project that I need to do it for.

Anyway..problem solved hopefully?

Thats cool.

• 14. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                    Jay Gladwell Level 1

Yes, as far as I'mconcerned, yousolved it!

Thanks!

• 15. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                      Bill Heslip Level 1

So, how is this different than what I suggested you do in your previous thread?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/799341?tstart=60

And why does the yellow line bother you so much?  Don't the BPAV files play back just as well as mxf?  Just because the line is yellow doesn't mean playback is necessarily compromised.

• 16. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                        Jay Gladwell Level 1

What you suggested isn't any different, only my understanding of what you said since then is different.

Bill, I prefer MXF files. That's what I've been using for nearly three years. Adobe says PPro ingests MXF natively and uses them accordingly. Why should I expect anything different?

In the end, I guess it boils down to personal preference.

Thanks for your input, even though I didn't get it the first time.

• 17. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                          Bill Heslip Level 1

For me it's a question of which format will still be viable/accessible 10 years from now...an EX-x Clip Browser re-wrapped to .mxf or the original BPAV camera file?  My vote is for the later.

For many years I edited deck to deck U-matic footage and thought it was magic.  Before that, film reels.  Today, I prefer desktop editing and BPAV files :-)

• 18. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for the link, Jay. Now I understand what's happening, and it's not Premiere at fault.

I took an EX3 MP4 clip and ran it through MediaInfo; I took that same clip, rewrapped it as an MXF with XDCAM Browser, and then analyzed it with MediaInfo. Here are the results...

MP4

General
                                            Complete name                    : E:\_COMMON_\Test Projects\Footage\XDCAM35_EX3\BPAV\CLPR\001_0010_01\001_0010_01.MP4
                                            Format                           : MPEG-4
                                            Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM EX 35
                                            Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2
                                            Codec ID                         : mp42
                                            File size                        : 66.6 MiB
                                            Duration                         : 15s 181ms
                                            Overall bit rate                 : 36.8 Mbps
                                            Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-01-29 17:27:27
                                            Tagged date                      : UTC 2009-01-29 17:27:27

Video
                                            ID                               : 1
                                            Format                           : MPEG Video
                                            Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM EX 35
                                            Format version                   : Version 2
                                            Format profile                   : Main@High
                                            Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
                                            Format settings, Matrix          : Default
                                            Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=12
                                            Codec ID                         : 61
                                            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                            Bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
                                            Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                                            Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                            Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                            Frame rate mode                  : Constant
                                            Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
                                            Standard                         : Component
                                            Color space                      : YUV
                                            Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                            Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                            Scan type                        : Progressive
                                            Compression mode                 : Lossy
                                            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.704
                                            Stream size                      : 63.8 MiB (96%)
                                            Language                         : English

Audio
                                            ID                               : 2
                                            Format                           : PCM
                                            Format settings, Endianness      : Big
                                            Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                                            Codec ID                         : twos
                                            Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                                            Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
                                            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                                            Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                                            Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                                            Stream size                      : 2.78 MiB (4%)
                                            Language                         : English

MXF

General
                                            Complete name                    : E:\001_0010_01.MXF
                                            Format                           : MXF
                                            Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM HD 35
                                            Format profile                   : OP-1a
                                            File size                        : 70.1 MiB
                                            Duration                         : 15s 182ms
                                            Overall bit rate                 : 38.7 Mbps
                                            Encoded date                     : 2011-03-09 00:38:50.000
                                            Writing application              : Sony util 1.00
                                            Writing library                  : Sony util 1.00

Video
                                            ID                               : 2
                                            Format                           : MPEG Video
                                            Format_Commercial_IfAny          : XDCAM HD 35
                                            Format version                   : Version 2
                                            Format profile                   : Main@High
                                            Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
                                            Format settings, Matrix          : Default
                                            Format settings, GOP             : M=3, N=12
                                            Format_Settings_Wrapping         : Frame
                                            Bit rate mode                    : Variable
                                            Bit rate                         : 35.0 Mbps
                                            Width                            : 1 920 pixels
                                            Height                           : 1 080 pixels
                                            Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                                            Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
                                            Standard                         : Component
                                            Color space                      : YUV
                                            Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
                                            Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                                            Scan type                        : Progressive
                                            Compression mode                 : Lossy
                                            Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.704
                                            Stream size                      : 63.3 MiB (90%)
                                            Delay_SDTI                       : 4094834

Audio #1
                                            ID                               : 3
                                            Format_Settings_Wrapping         : Frame (AES)
                                            Bit rate                         : 768 Kbps
                                            Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
                                            Stream size                      : 1.39 MiB (2%)

Audio #2
                                            ID                               : 4

Audio #3
                                            ID                               : 5

Audio #4
                                            ID                               : 6

The object of interest here is the number and type of audio tracks in each clip. The MP4 has a single stereo track, whereas the MXF has four mono tracks. Premiere interprets these both correctly; it's not adding tracks erroneously as might have been the first thought.

I looked for a way to change the number of tracks that are created in the MXF in XDCAM Browser, but couldn't see a way to do so. You're correct that the MXFs show no yellow bar, whereas the MP4s do, but this is pretty meaningless; both clips played back perfectly on my slower, older laptop.

Personally, I'd stick with the MP4s, if only from a practical standpoint. But do whatever works for you

• 19. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              it's not adding tracks erroneously as might have been the first thought.

I thought it was probably the rewrapping that was doing it.  Nice confirmation, Colin.

• 20. Re: Original Question Revisited -- Newbie
                                                Jay Gladwell Level 1

Now we know. Thanks for your input, Colin, much appreciated.