9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 7:54 AM by scabbot

Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?

nexgenVP Level 1

So I collected all of my files from a project and the new project points to all of my old paths. So is there a way to collect the files and have the project point to the new files that were collected? Not sure why they would not be connected. Or am I missing something.....Luckily I had a small project now and replacing the footage is not a big deal, but I have a really big project I'm working on now and it will be pretty time consuming in the future when I access the archived file, to replace all of the missing files. Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My personal recommendation would be to use a real file manager (Explorer or Finder) to manage your files.  Put them where you want them to live before you bring them into a project, not after.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
            Toomany3 Level 1

Seriously?  That's the answer?  What good is the Collect function then on a project with, say, more than 2 clips?

• 3. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
              Stanley Arthur Level 3

I assume that you're talking about the Project Manager in Premiere Pro. I am in the habit of keeping all of my project files in the same folder. If I want to use an asset that I use frequently, then I will just make a copy of it in the current project folder in order to keep everything associated with that project all together. If I need to make it portable, it's no problem at all. I just copy the folder to a flash drive or an external USB and off I go. I have done this many times, because I have workstations both in the office and at home. Never a problem with this workflow.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

My Project setup is almost identical to yours. I use FW-800 externals, because I do migrate between machines, and everything is self-contained.

With Project Manager, I have encounted several instances, where I originally Imported Assets from around the system, and in those cases, the files were NOT gathered up, but instead were just linked to their original location.

At first, I thought that it was because these were SmartSound WAV files, but upon investigation, I realized that some commonly used Assests, that were not SmartSound, were also missing from the archived Project. They had also been scattered about the system. It was at that point, that I began always doing the Copy of any Assets, and placing them in sub-folders in the Project's folder hierarchy. Since then, I have had no problem with Assets not being gathered upon archiving.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
                  Toomany3 Level 1

I've noticed the same thing on my end (not all assets being copied).  However that makes me wonder if I'm just not using the feature correctly.  What's the purpose of "collecting" the files if:

1. they all don't get copied

2. the new, collected project still links to the old locations?

From what I hear you guys saying is the "Collect Files and Copy to New Location" feature simply doesn't work and is unreliable.  Is that right?

My problem is we have each of the following assets on different network drives to spread out the network bandwidth:

1.  audio assets

2.  still images

3.  AE and C4D comps

4.  Show footage

5.  Show footage (another)

Never really occurred to me that that would be a problem since at the end of the project we could just "collect" the footage on one drive for storage.

Wouldn't be a big deal if we ONLY had our used assets in these folders, but, for example, the audio folder has a library 8000 songs and SFX that we pull from, of which we may only be using 60.  Same with the video footage directory.  We shot, say, 1000 clips and only 400 made it into the final cut.  We don't want to copy over the clips that never made it, only the ones that did.  AND, they are Sony EX1 files with that blasted BPAV folder structure, so even if I wanted to do it one by one, it would take as long to do that as it did to edit the whole flick!

Any suggestions on damage control at this point?  I'm a hopelessly lost?

• 6. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
                    nexgenVP Level 1

Stan, I was actually talking about AE, but the same thing goes on with Premiere though. I'm pretty sure I posted this in the AE section, maybe not, lol.

I found that once you collect the files and temporarily change the old root folder, the AE file finds the new links in the created (footage) folder. Then I save, and change the other name back. This seems to work for both Premiere and AE. The Dynamic Links do not carry over, which is a bummer.

I now keep all of my project data for a specific project under one root folder if and when I can.

• 7. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
                      Stanley Arthur Level 3

I just think of it as taking personal responsibility for my project. Kind of like, "if you want something done right, then do it yourself". I love the idea of Collect Files in AE and the Project Manager in PPro. But for me, it's far more reliable (and responsible) to ensure that all my project files are in one folder. I think that the only issue someone would have with this is having to take the time to copy frequently used assets to that folder. But seriously, frequently used assets tend to be reletively small and quickly copied, so not much of an issue. I've seen folks belly ache and go on and on about "if you offer this feature, why can't you make it work???", to the point of personal attacks on Adobe support people. To those, I just say "PICK YOUR FREEKIN BATTLES". There are quick and easy workflows that WORK. And that is the point. KEEP WORKING.

• 8. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
                        Toomany3 Level 1

Stanley Arthur wrote:

I've seen folks belly ache and go on and on about "if you offer this feature, why can't you make it work???", to the point of personal attacks on Adobe support people. To those, I just say "PICK YOUR FREEKIN BATTLES". There are quick and easy workflows that WORK. And that is the point. KEEP WORKING.

So it's just supposed to be understood that this feature flat out doesn't work and we're supposed to be roll over and be elated that we bought a $1000+ package program that touts certain features that in fact don't work?  That sounds like the Apple fanboys who still swear by Final Cut Pro X despite it being anything BUT pro.  "We don't need Bluray, Steve says so."

I think Adobe either needs to make it work, and work right, or remove the broken feature until they can get it right.  What's unreasonable about that?  That sounds obvious.  If a feature is listed as a function of the program, we, the consumers have a right to expect that feature to work.

That's like telling somone who bought a 4x4 truck to pick his battles and only drive on the interstates in the summer and not venture off road or drive through snow because the four-wheel-drive feature doesn't work... and quit complaining it doesn't work, geez!  Keep it on the nice summer highways, buddy.  Duh!

This guy has every right in the world to expect his four-wheel-drive to work because it's a listed feature of the truck... heck, it even has a 4x4 button to push inside the car... with options!

At the very least, Adobe needs to make a disclaimer of the like: "use this feature with caution, still in beta.... still.  In fact, it flat out doesn't do as the documentation states, but feel free to give it a try if you want. But please don't come fussing to us if it doesn't work; we're tired of hearing the complaints."

Or, just disable the dumb thing till they can figure it out like much inferior Edius easily did and, as much as I hate to say it, FCP7.

• 9. Re: Collect files question. Why are the paths still the same?
                          scabbot Level 1

I found this post because I was trying to figure out if a "Collect" feature was available for Premiere (yes: the Project Manager). I realize that this probably won't be helpful to any of these folks who were posting 18 months ago, but just in case someone like me winds up here...

The top of the Project Manager dialogue has a "Source" box; it's probably worth checking to see that everything is checked and (if possible) all of your Project's assets are listed there. Second, and probably most relevant to this discussion, in the "Options" section (in the middle), there's a "Rename Media Files to Match Clip Names" option that's checked by default. Now, I may be wrong, but it seems like leaving that checked would break all of the links between the "old" (original name) files and the new (renamed) files.

Just a guess. I'm certainly curious if this is still an issue...