10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 10:26 PM by Xtol123

Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?

Xtol123

Hey everyone, I'm making a 10 minute film with some friends that's action based and currently what I'm using to edit it is Adobe Priemere Pro. I looked around and noticed that most professionals that make films usually use after effects to spice up the work. I'm completely clueless about the program but I understand Priemere very well. I have alot of questions about AE so I'll just start

What exactly can I do on after effects that I can't already do on Priemere?

Is it a good idea to do all the editing of the film in preimere, export it as a .mov file and import that into AE to make changes to the entire movie? Or should I add effects to separate scenes and compile it all together?

Is it possible to add titles and stuff before a composition like on Priemere? Cause I was thinking of adding effects and nice titles on AE but BEFORE all the actual footage.

Could I export titles from AE and use them in Priemere?

What do most people use AE for anyway?

And as for questions on using the program, how the heck do I properly use color correction curves, how do i give my film a more professional movie look, and how do i create much more professional texts that appear during the beginning scenes of the film as credits? I tried to do that on Priemere but I fonts there look so unappealing and I can't figure out how to give them special motion effects.

I hope someone answers my questions, thank you.

• 1. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I'll leave it to others to answer your specific questions. For now, I'll recommend that you begin by working your way through these introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

If you do work your way through these materials, all of these questions (and many more) will be answered.

• 2. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
            Xtol123 Level 1

Thanks for answering but mainly what i wanna know is how could you use after effects in conjunction with priemere? Do people export titles from after effects into priemere or they import their entire footage into after effects? It's all pretty confusing to me

• 3. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Read: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/794600?tstart=30

I will leave your other questions unanswered - they sound too much liek the "I need a magic button" kind of thing. People write entire books about color correction and a "professional" look of a film is jaust as much a matter of shooting and lighting it right as it is of post production. Too many details wrapped into rather generic questions. Same for creating "fancy titles" as you put it. As Todd already pointed out, start learning AE a bit first, then we may talk about specific workflow steps if and wehn you reach that point.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                > but mainly what i wanna know is how could you use after effects in conjunction with priemere? Do people export titles from after effects into priemere or they import their entire footage into after effects? It's all pretty confusing to me

Read this and follow the links for details on how to move data from Premiere Pro to After Effects, and vice versa:

"Working with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects"

There are several different ways because different ways are best for different purposes.

• 5. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Xtol123 wrote:

Thanks for answering but mainly what i wanna know is how could you use after effects in conjunction with priemere? Do people export titles from after effects into priemere or they import their entire footage into after effects? It's all pretty confusing to me

what i mainly wanna know is how could you have gotten this far and spent so much money on software you do not comprehend? filmmaking is not about software, there is no easy path, editing is hard, special effects and motion graphics are even harder, and doing them well is beyond the capacity of most beginners because you simply lack the experience and the language. if you open the manual that came with premiere, you will see three thousand pages; about one third of those pages are necessary reading to answer your basic questions. when you open the after effects manual you will find about six thousand more pages all of which are necessary to understanding how ae works. you may be a far more competent study than i but i've been using ae since v1 and i discover something new and remarkably valuable on almost every project.

most of us who are old enough to be your grandfather expect you to learn the craft before you start asking questions for which you cannot understand the answers.

study up. do a few hundred tutorials. build time into your productions schedule to make lots of really silly mistakes. ask one question at a time. be sure to say thank you because we can smell entitlement over the Internet.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                    Xtol123 Level 1

Thanks for the replies people. I understand that I'm asking a lot of questions and after effects doesn't come easily but what i basically want to

know is can i do all my editing and still make nice titles with animations on priemere or do i need after effects for that? And in my case is it best to export the AE titles into priemere or bring my footage into AE?

• 7. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> what i basically want toknow is can i do all my editing and still make nice titles with animations on priemere or do i need after effects for that?

The Titler in Premiere Pro is fine for static text. After Effects is required for complex text animation. Premiere Pro is not an animation program. After Effects is.

> And in my case is it best to export the AE titles into priemere or bring my footage into AE?

If all that you're doing in After Effects is making an opening title sequence for a longer movie that you're editing in Premiere Pro, then you've got several options. You could create the animation in After Effects and then render and export the result as a movie and bring that into Premiere Pro as any other asset. Or you could use Dynamic Link to send a piece of your sequence from Premiere Pro to After Effects to create and overlay a text animation. Or you could use Dynamic Link to create a new composition from Premiere Pro.

It really depends on many things, such as whether your computer is powerful enough to run both applications simultaneously (for Dynamic Link), whether you need to do lots of back and forth work between the applications, and so on.

• 8. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                        Xtol123 Level 1

Thanks, I'll see if I can export AE files into adobe and try to edit them there, if i have any problems in doing so i'll post back here.

• 9. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Since you're planning an action epic, take a look at Andrew Kramer's tutorials over at Video Copilot.  Some of the earlier tutorials, particularly around the 20's numerically, give specific instructions for gun muzzle flashes, blood splatter, explosions etc.

That should give you some clear examples of After Effect's capabilities in creating effects.

• 10. Re: Do I need to use AE for the project I'm doing?
                            Xtol123 Level 1

All these effects can be made on just AE right? Nothing else needed?

Also, i figured out that i render texts and import the .avi files into priemere and work like that. That's good I guess, i was kind of hoping to use AE for color correction but you can do that on priemere so there really is no need, it's just gonna make things more complicated than they already are.